Recommendation on a printer, help please!

I'm looking for a new printer but I wanted to get some advice from those who
know before I went out and bought something. Here's what I'll be using it
for - Printing on CDs/DVDs, printing DVD Covers, and probably some
occasional photo printing. Laser is out of the question because of cost, so
that probably leaves only inkjets. I am not looking forward to expensive
ink replacement so I would also like to find one that is easily refilled
with a refill kit. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Mike

--
" I think the last time Mike Tyson used the word 'malicious,' he was eating
cookies."

Mike Castleberg wrote:
> I'm looking for a new printer but I wanted to get some advice from
> those who know before I went out and bought something. Here's what
> I'll be using it for - Printing on CDs/DVDs, printing DVD Covers, and
> probably some occasional photo printing. Laser is out of the
> question because of cost, so that probably leaves only inkjets. I am
> not looking forward to expensive ink replacement so I would also like
> to find one that is easily refilled with a refill kit. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mike

I'd recommend a Canon in a snap, but the US models don't support direct
CD/DVD printing (and, no, I don't know why). I'm not aware of any lasers
that will print directly on a CD (CD duplication machines do it
automatically and they're horrendously expensive). That just leaves you with
Epson and their cartridges are chipped and aren't so easy to refill.

ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

If you have decided to rely on refill kits, you have also decided to accept
low quality printing; so just buy the cheapest print you can find. If you
want to print high quality cds / DVDs get something like an Epson Stylus
Photo R300 printer - runs about $180. Uses a six color ink system and
individual cartridges cost about $15. I use it for high quality photo
printing and find it far superior to HP and Canon printers that I have had
in the past. Refill kits for *any* printer will only save you a penny or 2
on a CD - why compromise your effort for such a small unit cost difference.

"Mike Castleberg" <someone@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm looking for a new printer but I wanted to get some advice from those
who
> know before I went out and bought something. Here's what I'll be using it
> for - Printing on CDs/DVDs, printing DVD Covers, and probably some
> occasional photo printing. Laser is out of the question because of cost,
so
> that probably leaves only inkjets. I am not looking forward to expensive
> ink replacement so I would also like to find one that is easily refilled
> with a refill kit. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mike
>
> --
> " I think the last time Mike Tyson used the word 'malicious,' he was
eating
> cookies."
> - Louis Ramey

Use any printer and get a permament market to write on the CDs Why make
like more complicated that it is?

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 08:48:05 -0700, "Ray" <junk-spam@email.com> wrote:

>If you have decided to rely on refill kits, you have also decided to accept
>low quality printing; so just buy the cheapest print you can find. If you
>want to print high quality cds / DVDs get something like an Epson Stylus
>Photo R300 printer - runs about $180. Uses a six color ink system and
>individual cartridges cost about $15. I use it for high quality photo
>printing and find it far superior to HP and Canon printers that I have had
>in the past. Refill kits for *any* printer will only save you a penny or 2
>on a CD - why compromise your effort for such a small unit cost difference.

It might be a penny on 1 CD - but that soon adds up. A guy in here
posted a few weeks ago that he spends $1 CAN per refill, buying ink
online. I'm in Australia, so that's about $1.06 AUD. Genuin Epson
refills here cost from about $50 AUD upwards. There MUST be better
quality refill inks and someone out there that sells them. If one
company can make them, what on earth makes people think someone else
can't do the same!? (Just have to find them.) : )

Allan.

bill

Just Allan wrote:

>> Refill kits for *any* printer will only save you a penny or 2
>>on a CD - why compromise your effort for such a small unit cost difference.
>
>It might be a penny on 1 CD - but that soon adds up. A guy in here
>posted a few weeks ago that he spends $1 CAN per refill, buying ink
>online. I'm in Australia, so that's about $1.06 AUD. Genuin Epson
>refills here cost from about $50 AUD upwards.

Exactly. It might only be a penny on a single sheet of text or similar,
but I save a LOT on photo prints using refill ink and lower cost photo
paper.

Using Canon paper and cartridges, it costs about a dollar to print a
single photo. But using my paper and ink selections, it's less than
1/4th the cost, about 20 odd cents per print.

> There MUST be better
>quality refill inks and someone out there that sells them. If one
>company can make them, what on earth makes people think someone else
>can't do the same!? (Just have to find them.) : )

There are several vendors online that sell quality ink and paper
supplies. They usually get mentioned in here from time to time.

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 22:50:04 -0400, Bill <bill@c.a> wrote:

>> There MUST be better
>>quality refill inks and someone out there that sells them. If one
>>company can make them, what on earth makes people think someone else
>>can't do the same!? (Just have to find them.) : )

Try http://www.mrinkman.com/.
My wife is pleased with the "Epson" substitution cartridges she has been
getting. No leaks and nice printing.
I just ordered a black cart for my HP 855. ($16.95)
Regards Buddy B