Sound Card Suddenly Stopped Working in XP

October 15, 2004 5:18:57 AM

Hi,

My sound card was working 2 days ago - i haven't installed any service
packs or software in that time - it appears to have stopped working
for no reason. The volume is not muted or low. there are no device
conflicts, xp reports that it is working properly - i've uninstalled
the card and reinstalled it and all its drivers without any joy.

Any ideas on what the problem may me - the sound card is an on board
realtek AC97 via on a MSI board.

Thanks
Anonymous
October 15, 2004 6:25:29 PM

Scott, did you check in Control Panel>Sound and Audio Devices>Volume
Tab-Advanced. Make sure none of the Mute boxes are checked. Also the
Hardware Tab. Look for audio codecs, Realtec AC97 and legacy audio drivers.
I have the
same audio chip on my Motherboard. Go to MSI's site and see if they have
updated audio drivers. Otherwise it could be
a audio chip failure. Rare though.

!