hi,

im a proudly owner of an computer as follows

board ep-7kxa (manual: http://www.epox.de/dl/techsupp/mu-7kxa+010.pdf)
cpu amd k7 600mhz
ram 1x 256MB + 2x 128MB sd-ram pc-133 cl3
hdd 1x seagate st360015a (60gb, ata) + 1x st39173n (10gb, scsi)
+ 1x adaptec aha-2940au + some optical drives + a soundcard + a networkcard

now i want to change a little bit. so i want to upgrade the ram and increase
the storage capacity (by decrease the number of disks).
the ram will make no problems, but unfortunately there are no informations -
nowhere - what's the maximum capacity for hdds for the given board.
therefore: can anybody help? is it possible to use 1x 120gb for example?

dennis

Dennis Borg wrote:
> now i want to change a little bit. so i want to upgrade the ram and
> increase the storage capacity (by decrease the number of disks).
> the ram will make no problems, but unfortunately there are no
> informations - nowhere - what's the maximum capacity for hdds for the
> given board.
> therefore: can anybody help? is it possible to use 1x 120gb for example?
>
> dennis

For the 7KXA, the limit is likely 128 GB with the latest BIOS (given the
date of the BIOS as November 2001)...

http://www.epox.nl/english/support/bios/socket.php?id=8

gdp schrieb:
> Dennis Borg wrote:
>
>> now i want to change a little bit. so i want to upgrade the ram and
>> increase the storage capacity (by decrease the number of disks).
>> the ram will make no problems, but unfortunately there are no
>> informations - nowhere - what's the maximum capacity for hdds for the
>> given board.
>> therefore: can anybody help? is it possible to use 1x 120gb for example?
>>
>> dennis
>

> For the 7KXA, the limit is likely 128 GB with the latest BIOS (given the
> date of the BIOS as November 2001)...
>
> http://www.epox.nl/english/support/bios/socket.php?id=8

thanks a lot gdp.

but why
- is the slot-a 'ep-7kxa' listet in socket-a-section?
(was there a socket-a-'ep-7kxa' in spite of the slot-a-board? :eek:)
- isn't there a changelog, respectively a bios-revision-history?
(so a 'official, written' statment of epox about the maximum
hdd-capacity? :eek:)

dennis

> but why
> - is the slot-a 'ep-7kxa' listet in socket-a-section?
> (was there a socket-a-'ep-7kxa' in spite of the slot-a-board? :eek:)

Because they're lazy? I don't know. It used to have its own section.

> - isn't there a changelog, respectively a bios-revision-history?
> (so a 'official, written' statment of epox about the maximum
> hdd-capacity? :eek:)

Epox used to be great at that in listing the changes for their BIOS.
Not any more.

It's work, but you can go to ftp://ftp.epox.com and look in their
archived BIOS directory. All released BIOS for the 7KXA are in their in
seperate executable files. Within those executables, they also have the
release notes for that version of the BIOS. I downloaded all the MPV3G5
ones once and copied the changelog entries into a file on my hard drive
so I would have them handy.