I just bought a Epox 8KRAI-X motherboard (socket A) to use to upgrade
my linux server. I'd like to install a *Mobile* Athlon XP 2200 or
2500 Barton core 266FSB cpu instead of a regular XP Barton core cpu.

I'd like to take advantage of the *Mobile* cpu since it's 35 Watts
(2200) or 45 watts (2500) - Why ? - Because of less heat, the server
will be in a closet.

Will this work ? Can I lower the cpu voltage on this board in order to
use one of these two mobile processors ? Will the board recognize it
as *Mobile* cpu and allow me to use the AMD Powerup technology ?

If not, will it still work without POST errors ?

Has anyone else attempted this ?

Thanks in advance !!!!

i'm using an 8kra2+ here with xp-m 2600+ @2200mhz (11*200) and 1.5v vcore.
no problems so far, cpu is recognized as AMD K7 processor, not as a
mobile. nevertheless that doesn't really matter, the xp-m is rock solid.

you can lower or raise voltages as you want, depending on mainboard and
cpu, stability or crash, manual or not - don't really understand that
question...

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 15:34:45 +0100, Erik Hayn <erik.hayn@t-online.de>
wrote:

>i'm using an 8kra2+ here with xp-m 2600+ @2200mhz (11*200) and 1.5v vcore.
>no problems so far, cpu is recognized as AMD K7 processor, not as a
>mobile. nevertheless that doesn't really matter, the xp-m is rock solid.
>
>you can lower or raise voltages as you want, depending on mainboard and
>cpu, stability or crash, manual or not - don't really understand that
>question...
>
>ROEKing schrieb:
>> I just bought a Epox 8KRAI-X motherboard (socket A) to use to upgrade
>> my linux server. I'd like to install a *Mobile* Athlon XP 2200 or
>> 2500 Barton core 266FSB cpu instead of a regular XP Barton core cpu.
>>
>> I'd like to take advantage of the *Mobile* cpu since it's 35 Watts
>> (2200) or 45 watts (2500) - Why ? - Because of less heat, the server
>> will be in a closet.
>>
>> Will this work ? Can I lower the cpu voltage on this board in order to
>> use one of these two mobile processors ? Will the board recognize it
>> as *Mobile* cpu and allow me to use the AMD Powerup technology ?
>>
>> If not, will it still work without POST errors ?
>>
>> Has anyone else attempted this ?
>>
>> Thanks in advance !!!!

Well, I went with the *KRAI-X board and a Barton Mobile 2200+ CPU.
It works great ! I ahve UNDER clocked it.

stats:

Stock settings My under
clocked settings

Mhz 1800 1400

Vcore Voltage 1.35 1.175

Wattage 35 20.6

!!!!! Yes, that’s 20 watts !

I have reached my goal. It's been running Fedora Core 3 for about a
month now and is very stable. The CPU is a constant 38 degress
Celcius.

Thanks !

I have that board and a Mobile 2600+ Barton. I have my settings at
11.5 X 200FSB for 2300MHz. I have kingston 3200 ram (nothing special
and not overclocked). I run win2000 and has run stable for months. I
game constantly and have no probs. I run an MSI 5900XT and get 16000
on 3dmark2001 and 5500 on 3dmark2003. I tried the same settings on
my KT400 msi board but it wouldnt oc at all.

TRENDING THREADS