Agere PCI Soft Modem not working

Mary

Since I installed the SP2 update, the modem will not let me update it to
version 8.30 nor will it roll back to previous driver or accept the
installation disk I have. I have tried everything.

The Device Manager has a yellow explanation mark next the Agere modem #3
(have no idea what modem #3 means because all I have is one modem). I also
have enabled it but it defaults back to disable. It will not stay enabled.

Also the yellow icon lives in the notification area that updates are ready
to be installed. It just wants to update the modem driver but it always
fails to do so. I get this "Updates were unable to be successfully
installed".

When I downloaded the Agere modem update and try to install it, it just
hangs at the end and will not complete. I tried having Windows search for
driver. I put the driver update on a floppy disk, etc., to try and get it
to accept the update but no luck anywhere.

PLEASE help.

Thanks
Mary

Uninstall the device in Device Manager and then reboot Windows. Upon reboot
Windows should find the modem and offer to install the software.

"Mary" <absolutelymary@hotmail.calm> wrote in message
> Since I installed the SP2 update, the modem will not let me update it to
> version 8.30 nor will it roll back to previous driver or accept the
> installation disk I have. I have tried everything.
>
> The Device Manager has a yellow explanation mark next the Agere modem #3
> (have no idea what modem #3 means because all I have is one modem). I
also
> have enabled it but it defaults back to disable. It will not stay
enabled.

> Also the yellow icon lives in the notification area that updates are ready
> to be installed. It just wants to update the modem driver but it always
> fails to do so. I get this "Updates were unable to be successfully
> installed".
>
> When I downloaded the Agere modem update and try to install it, it just
> hangs at the end and will not complete. I tried having Windows search for
> driver. I put the driver update on a floppy disk, etc., to try and get it
> to accept the update but no luck anywhere.
>
> PLEASE help.
>
> Thanks
> Mary

Mary

Okay, thanks Kevin. I have done that several times every which way and it
will still not work.

Windows just says "it cannot install this hardware, a problem installing and
an error occurred during installation".

For two years, this modem has worked for faxing along side my DSL modem for
internet, etc.

Just thought of something, could my Linksys router be causing this problem?

Mary

"Kevin" <webman6@hot4mail.com> wrote in message
> Uninstall the device in Device Manager and then reboot Windows. Upon
> reboot
> Windows should find the modem and offer to install the software.
>
> "Mary" <absolutelymary@hotmail.calm> wrote in message
>> Since I installed the SP2 update, the modem will not let me update it to
>> version 8.30 nor will it roll back to previous driver or accept the
>> installation disk I have. I have tried everything.
>>
>> The Device Manager has a yellow explanation mark next the Agere modem #3
>> (have no idea what modem #3 means because all I have is one modem). I
> also
>> have enabled it but it defaults back to disable. It will not stay
> enabled.
>>
>> Also the yellow icon lives in the notification area that updates are
>> ready
>> to be installed. It just wants to update the modem driver but it always
>> fails to do so. I get this "Updates were unable to be successfully
>> installed".
>>
>> When I downloaded the Agere modem update and try to install it, it just
>> hangs at the end and will not complete. I tried having Windows search
>> for
>> driver. I put the driver update on a floppy disk, etc., to try and get
>> it
>> to accept the update but no luck anywhere.
>>
>> PLEASE help.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Mary

Dante

Distinguished
May 8, 2004

Hi:

The problem with service pack 2 is that close all ports so, your modem port
is already closed in port 3.

You should reinstall Windows XP or your restoration software in your PC,
then reinstall SP2 and you will have your modem back.

Regards

"Mary" wrote:

> Okay, thanks Kevin. I have done that several times every which way and it
> will still not work.
>
> Windows just says "it cannot install this hardware, a problem installing and
> an error occurred during installation".
>
> For two years, this modem has worked for faxing along side my DSL modem for
> internet, etc.
>
> Just thought of something, could my Linksys router be causing this problem?
>
> Mary
>

> "Kevin" <webman6@hot4mail.com> wrote in message
> > Uninstall the device in Device Manager and then reboot Windows. Upon
> > reboot
> > Windows should find the modem and offer to install the software.
> >
> > "Mary" <absolutelymary@hotmail.calm> wrote in message
> >> Since I installed the SP2 update, the modem will not let me update it to
> >> version 8.30 nor will it roll back to previous driver or accept the
> >> installation disk I have. I have tried everything.
> >>
> >> The Device Manager has a yellow explanation mark next the Agere modem #3
> >> (have no idea what modem #3 means because all I have is one modem). I
> > also
> >> have enabled it but it defaults back to disable. It will not stay
> > enabled.
> >>
> >> Also the yellow icon lives in the notification area that updates are
> >> ready
> >> to be installed. It just wants to update the modem driver but it always
> >> fails to do so. I get this "Updates were unable to be successfully
> >> installed".
> >>
> >> When I downloaded the Agere modem update and try to install it, it just
> >> hangs at the end and will not complete. I tried having Windows search
> >> for
> >> driver. I put the driver update on a floppy disk, etc., to try and get
> >> it
> >> to accept the update but no luck anywhere.
> >>
> >> PLEASE help.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> Mary

Mary

Good grief. Doesn't Microsoft have a fix for this. I didn't want to have
to go through all that. Guess I will do without the modem.

Thanks
Mary

"Dante" <Dante @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi:
>
> The problem with service pack 2 is that close all ports so, your modem
> port
> is already closed in port 3.
>
> You should reinstall Windows XP or your restoration software in your PC,
> then reinstall SP2 and you will have your modem back.
>
> Regards
>
> "Mary" wrote:
>
>> Okay, thanks Kevin. I have done that several times every which way and
>> it
>> will still not work.
>>
>> Windows just says "it cannot install this hardware, a problem installing
>> and
>> an error occurred during installation".
>>
>> For two years, this modem has worked for faxing along side my DSL modem
>> for
>> internet, etc.
>>
>> Just thought of something, could my Linksys router be causing this
>> problem?
>>
>> Mary
>>

>> "Kevin" <webman6@hot4mail.com> wrote in message
>> > Uninstall the device in Device Manager and then reboot Windows. Upon
>> > reboot
>> > Windows should find the modem and offer to install the software.
>> >
>> > "Mary" <absolutelymary@hotmail.calm> wrote in message

>> > also
>> > enabled.

If you are on a broadband connection, be sure you disconnect from the
broadband modem, if you are on dialup, be sure you are not connected to the
Internet. Then, go to Control Panel, Windows Firewall and turn off the
firewall. If you have any other firewall on your system, turn it off as
well, after which, try installing the updates for the modem.

If that fails, you'll need to contact tech support for your modem. Updates,
drivers and software for all devices is the responsibility of the device
manufacturer. They should be able to help you resolve this. Microsoft
doesn't have a fix for this because whether or not a device is supported in
an operating system as well as updates to that OS are the responsibility of
the manufacturer. The update was supplied by the manufacturer and they will
have to tell you how to work around this issue.

It's also possible that some other device on your system is conflicting but
trying to source that would entail removing devices and their software and
drivers one by one until you found the source of the issue.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

> Good grief. Doesn't Microsoft have a fix for this. I didn't want to have
> to go through all that. Guess I will do without the modem.
>
> Thanks
> Mary
>
> "Dante" <Dante @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi:
>>
>> The problem with service pack 2 is that close all ports so, your modem
>> port
>> is already closed in port 3.
>>
>> You should reinstall Windows XP or your restoration software in your PC,
>> then reinstall SP2 and you will have your modem back.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> "Mary" wrote:
>>
>>> Okay, thanks Kevin. I have done that several times every which way and
>>> it
>>> will still not work.
>>>
>>> Windows just says "it cannot install this hardware, a problem installing
>>> and
>>> an error occurred during installation".
>>>
>>> For two years, this modem has worked for faxing along side my DSL modem
>>> for
>>> internet, etc.
>>>
>>> Just thought of something, could my Linksys router be causing this
>>> problem?
>>>
>>> Mary
>>>

>>> "Kevin" <webman6@hot4mail.com> wrote in message

Mary

Thanks Mike. I did try all that but no luck. I sent an email to tech
support so hopefully they have a fix for it.

Thanks again.
Mary

> If you are on a broadband connection, be sure you disconnect from the
> broadband modem, if you are on dialup, be sure you are not connected to
> the Internet. Then, go to Control Panel, Windows Firewall and turn off
> the firewall. If you have any other firewall on your system, turn it off
> as well, after which, try installing the updates for the modem.
>
> If that fails, you'll need to contact tech support for your modem.
> Updates, drivers and software for all devices is the responsibility of the
> device manufacturer. They should be able to help you resolve this.
> Microsoft doesn't have a fix for this because whether or not a device is
> supported in an operating system as well as updates to that OS are the
> responsibility of the manufacturer. The update was supplied by the
> manufacturer and they will have to tell you how to work around this issue.
>
> It's also possible that some other device on your system is conflicting
> but trying to source that would entail removing devices and their software
> and drivers one by one until you found the source of the issue.
>
> --
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>
> "Mary" <absolutelymary@hotmail.calm> wrote in message
>> Good grief. Doesn't Microsoft have a fix for this. I didn't want to
>> have to go through all that. Guess I will do without the modem.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Mary
>>
>> "Dante" <Dante @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi:
>>>
>>> The problem with service pack 2 is that close all ports so, your modem
>>> port
>>> is already closed in port 3.
>>>
>>> You should reinstall Windows XP or your restoration software in your PC,
>>> then reinstall SP2 and you will have your modem back.
>>>
>>> Regards

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Mary" <absolutelymary@hotmail.calm> wrote in message
> Since I installed the SP2 update, the modem will not let me update
> it to version 8.30 nor will it roll back to previous driver or
> accept the installation disk I have. I have tried everything.
>
> The Device Manager has a yellow explanation mark next the Agere
> modem #3 (have no idea what modem #3 means because all I have is one
> modem). I also have enabled it but it defaults back to disable. It
> will not stay enabled.
>
> Also the yellow icon lives in the notification area that updates are
> ready to be installed. It just wants to update the modem driver but
> it always fails to do so. I get this "Updates were unable to be
> successfully installed".
>
> When I downloaded the Agere modem update and try to install it, it
> just hangs at the end and will not complete. I tried having Windows
> search for driver. I put the driver update on a floppy disk, etc.,
> to try and get it to accept the update but no luck anywhere.

Agere modem #3 tells me that you have at least three drivers
installed for your modem. Go to......
Control Panel > Phone and Modems > Modems tab
right click on each entry - choose remove - reboot....
Agere modems are OEM and sold to various Manufacturers
They do not need an updated driver. Go to their site for
verification.
As an aside this has nothing to do with WXP or SP2. This
has to do with OEM's _period_......

Mary

Frank, thank you very much. You were exactly right, three modems. Did what
you said to do and all is well. I am one happy person.

thanks again
Mary

"Frank" <bbunny@bqik.net> wrote in message

> "Mary" <absolutelymary@hotmail.calm> wrote in message
>> Since I installed the SP2 update, the modem will not let me update it to
>> version 8.30 nor will it roll back to previous driver or accept the
>> installation disk I have. I have tried everything.
>>
>> The Device Manager has a yellow explanation mark next the Agere modem #3
>> (have no idea what modem #3 means because all I have is one modem). I
>> also have enabled it but it defaults back to disable. It will not stay
>> enabled.
>>
>> Also the yellow icon lives in the notification area that updates are
>> ready to be installed. It just wants to update the modem driver but it
>> always fails to do so. I get this "Updates were unable to be
>> successfully installed".
>>
>> When I downloaded the Agere modem update and try to install it, it just
>> hangs at the end and will not complete. I tried having Windows search
>> for driver. I put the driver update on a floppy disk, etc., to try and
>> get it to accept the update but no luck anywhere.
>
> Agere modem #3 tells me that you have at least three drivers
> installed for your modem. Go to......
> Control Panel > Phone and Modems > Modems tab
> right click on each entry - choose remove - reboot....
> Agere modems are OEM and sold to various Manufacturers
> They do not need an updated driver. Go to their site for
> verification.
> As an aside this has nothing to do with WXP or SP2. This
> has to do with OEM's _period_......

Thank you, Frank, for the heads up. Either I didn't see the Modem #3 or it
simply didn't register with me when I read the post.