jp

I have an IBM ThinkPad T40 that had difficulty installing SP2. I uninstalled
it, reinstalled SP1, then installed SP2 again and all was fine except USB.
I've updated the chipset--didn't fix it. Deleted device and let it find it
again to reinstall--didn't fix it. IBM says I need to reinstall entire
operating system. Nope, don't want to at this point. USB2 Enhanced Host
Controller is fine, but the USB Controller has a yellow exclamation and will
not accept drivers. Any help or recommendation to obtain these drivers would
be appreciated!

Use the device manager to remove ALL USB components and
devices. This includes the hubs and ports. Then reboot,
Reinstall your devices one at a time.

This answer can be considered to be an answer to all 4 of
your posts.

"jp" <jp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
|I have an IBM ThinkPad T40 that had difficulty installing
SP2. I uninstalled
| it, reinstalled SP1, then installed SP2 again and all was
fine except USB.
| I've updated the chipset--didn't fix it. Deleted device
and let it find it
| again to reinstall--didn't fix it. IBM says I need to
reinstall entire
| operating system. Nope, don't want to at this point. USB2
Enhanced Host
| Controller is fine, but the USB Controller has a yellow
exclamation and will
| not accept drivers. Any help or recommendation to obtain
these drivers would
| be appreciated!

jp

I've tried that too. It never locates a proper driver to work the USB devices.

"Jim Macklin" wrote:

> Use the device manager to remove ALL USB components and
> devices. This includes the hubs and ports. Then reboot,
> Reinstall your devices one at a time.
>
> This answer can be considered to be an answer to all 4 of
> your posts.

> "jp" <jp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> |I have an IBM ThinkPad T40 that had difficulty installing
> SP2. I uninstalled
> | it, reinstalled SP1, then installed SP2 again and all was
> fine except USB.
> | I've updated the chipset--didn't fix it. Deleted device
> and let it find it
> | again to reinstall--didn't fix it. IBM says I need to
> reinstall entire
> | operating system. Nope, don't want to at this point. USB2
> Enhanced Host
> | Controller is fine, but the USB Controller has a yellow
> exclamation and will
> | not accept drivers. Any help or recommendation to obtain
> these drivers would
> | be appreciated!

jp

I've tried that too. It never locates a proper driver on the reinstall.

"Jim Macklin" wrote:

> Use the device manager to remove ALL USB components and
> devices. This includes the hubs and ports. Then reboot,
> Reinstall your devices one at a time.
>
> This answer can be considered to be an answer to all 4 of
> your posts.

> "jp" <jp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> |I have an IBM ThinkPad T40 that had difficulty installing
> SP2. I uninstalled
> | it, reinstalled SP1, then installed SP2 again and all was
> fine except USB.
> | I've updated the chipset--didn't fix it. Deleted device
> and let it find it
> | again to reinstall--didn't fix it. IBM says I need to
> reinstall entire
> | operating system. Nope, don't want to at this point. USB2
> Enhanced Host
> | Controller is fine, but the USB Controller has a yellow
> exclamation and will
> | not accept drivers. Any help or recommendation to obtain
> these drivers would
> | be appreciated!

At this point I suggest you follow IBM's advice. Backup and
do a full clean install.