SATA Master & Slave problems

peterb

Distinguished
May 30, 2001

My PC wouldn't boot correctly into Windows which I believe was down to
a registry settings being corrupted. Wanting a second SATA drive I
bought a duplicate of my original SATA drive (Maxtor D'Max Plus 9
80Gb). I've disconnected the original and put XP on the new drive.
Everything appears to work perfectly until I connect the original
drive back in. Symptoms are the checkdisk is run on the original
drive (finds and corrects the problem) and then XP loads up but runs
like a dog. Minutes to load and close.

Any clues. I want to run the new drive as master as drive C and the
original as slave as drive d.

Help please. I want to get at the data on the original.

Thanks in advance

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

SATA drives are not Master and Slave. (At least mine are not - both are
Master and should be jumpered as such.) How can you have a Slave when SATA
is one drive per connection?

Put the one you want as C: on SATA 1 and the D: one on SATA 2. (All this
should be covered in the mobo manual - did you bother to read it?)

"PeterB" <peter@pbindon.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> My PC wouldn't boot correctly into Windows which I believe was down to
> a registry settings being corrupted. Wanting a second SATA drive I
> bought a duplicate of my original SATA drive (Maxtor D'Max Plus 9
> 80Gb). I've disconnected the original and put XP on the new drive.
> Everything appears to work perfectly until I connect the original
> drive back in. Symptoms are the checkdisk is run on the original
> drive (finds and corrects the problem) and then XP loads up but runs
> like a dog. Minutes to load and close.
>
> Any clues. I want to run the new drive as master as drive C and the
> original as slave as drive d.
>
> Help please. I want to get at the data on the original.
>
> Thanks in advance

Youre obviously useing the SATA drive as a IDE drive which is fine,if youre
board doesnt have a RAID controller,what you need to do is 1st,boot to the
BIOS,
set to boot to xp cd (boot device priority),install then is ok,boot to xp
cd,recovery,
press enter for password,then type:DiskPart In DiskPart delete the
partition on
the old drive,then create one,then press Esc Back in cmd type:FORMAT D:
/FS:ntfs
When its thru type:EXIT Let xp restart,remove cd,reconfigure BIOS at
convienance.