All,

Having a little problem that a suggestion or two might be useful
with. I had the bulging caps problem with an 8RDA+, sent it back and
Epox sent me a replacement board. I'm putting the replacement in a new
case, with a known working power supply. However, the new
board/case/powersupply combination, when hooked up, doesn't do anything
when I try to start it. No whirring of fans, no lighting of lights,
nothing. I've tried replacing the power supply with another one, same
result, and I've tried hooking it up to a different case, same result. Is
there anything else I can do to definitively isolate the problem to the
board? And any suggestions what might be causing this sort of thing other
than a bad motherboard?

Scott

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

The most likely cause of this problem is that the MB is shorted to the case.
Try running the MB out of the case, like sitting on non-conductive surface
such as cardboard or the box it came in. Don't put it on an anti-static
bag. This will prove if you have a bad MB or not.

DaveL

<NsdoO (at) S.visiP.AcomM> wrote in message
> All,
>
> Having a little problem that a suggestion or two might be useful
> with. I had the bulging caps problem with an 8RDA+, sent it back and
> Epox sent me a replacement board. I'm putting the replacement in a new
> case, with a known working power supply. However, the new
> board/case/powersupply combination, when hooked up, doesn't do anything
> when I try to start it. No whirring of fans, no lighting of lights,
> nothing. I've tried replacing the power supply with another one, same
> result, and I've tried hooking it up to a different case, same result. Is
> there anything else I can do to definitively isolate the problem to the
> board? And any suggestions what might be causing this sort of thing other
> than a bad motherboard?
>
> Scott

Andy

1. The first simple thing to do is clear the CMOS RAM.
2. Measure the standby voltage 5Vsb at pin 9 on the ATX power
connector: should be +5 volts.
3. Measure "power supply on" PS-ON at pin 14 on the ATX power
connector: should go to 0 volt when case power switch is depressed. If
true then something is probably shorting a power supply output.
4. Measure "power switch on" PW-ON at the front panel connector
header: one pin is always 0 volt; the other pin should go to 0 volt
when case power switch is depressed. If true, but PS-ON does not go to
0 volt, then the motherboard is not turning on the power supply.

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 14:33:42 -0000, NsdoO(at)S.visiP.AcomM wrote:

>All,
>
> Having a little problem that a suggestion or two might be useful
>with. I had the bulging caps problem with an 8RDA+, sent it back and
>Epox sent me a replacement board. I'm putting the replacement in a new
>case, with a known working power supply. However, the new
>board/case/powersupply combination, when hooked up, doesn't do anything
>when I try to start it. No whirring of fans, no lighting of lights,
>nothing. I've tried replacing the power supply with another one, same
>result, and I've tried hooking it up to a different case, same result. Is
>there anything else I can do to definitively isolate the problem to the
>board? And any suggestions what might be causing this sort of thing other
>than a bad motherboard?
>
> Scott

TRENDING THREADS