8KHA+, 9700 Pro, AIW 9800 Pro

I have an old 8KHA+ that's been fine for years, Rev 2.0, caps OK, Athlon
XP 1900+, latest BIOS upgrade. It has an ATI Radeon 9700 Pro. I have an
extra ATI Radeon AIW 9800 Pro I'd like to install, but when I do, the
power supply just kicks out instantly upon pressing the start button. PS
is Antec 430 True. I tried a different PS, Vantec 420, same thing. I put
the 9700 back in, have to unplug the ATX connector from the board, plug
back in, presto, starts right back up where it left off. Have tried many
times, nothing. Poof, shuts down before a fan even gets to make one
revolution!!

Oh, the 9800 came out of one of my other computers, known good.

Is there something about the AGP on a 9800 that won't let it run in this
board? Voltage different?

I have another 8KHA+ in another box, perhaps I'll try that one, but
expect the same result.

Any suggestions?

--

Tom
Greenville, WI, USA

Tried it in the other board, same board, rev. 2.0, caps look OK, Athlon
1600+, older BIOS rev. Did the same thing, bombed instantly.

What is this? Can't I use an ATI AIW 9800 in an Epox 8KHA+??

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

Did you remember to plug a power supply connector into the card?

DaveL

"thosj" <thosj@new.rr.com> wrote in message
> Tried it in the other board, same board, rev. 2.0, caps look OK, Athlon
> 1600+, older BIOS rev. Did the same thing, bombed instantly.
>
> What is this? Can't I use an ATI AIW 9800 in an Epox 8KHA+??

Yup, plugged power connector to board, two different, known good, big,
high quality power supplies. I have to put this vid card back in a
system known to have worked with it and see if it's somehow the video
card itself. Don't know how it could be dead because I just took it out
of a system that was working fine, my main system actually.

Any more suggestions? Anyone with this combo working?

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 20:03:17 -0800, "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Did you remember to plug a power supply connector into the card?
>
>DaveL
>

>"thosj" <thosj@new.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Tried it in the other board, same board, rev. 2.0, caps look OK, Athlon
>> 1600+, older BIOS rev. Did the same thing, bombed instantly.
>>
>> What is this? Can't I use an ATI AIW 9800 in an Epox 8KHA+??

--

Tom
Greenville, WI, USA

Yes I did, good supplies, two of 'em.

Any other suggestions?

thosj wrote:
> Tried it in the other board, same board, rev. 2.0, caps look OK,
> Athlon 1600+, older BIOS rev. Did the same thing, bombed instantly.
>
> What is this? Can't I use an ATI AIW 9800 in an Epox 8KHA+??

Have a look at the BIOS settings for the voltages/alarms and open
out the ranges a bit in order to allow the voltage rails to sag a little
in order to get the machine started.

HTH

OK, tried card in computer where it lived before, the 9800 works
flawlessly, so it's NOT the video card, it's the motherboard,
apparently.

Now, where do I find these RANGES to set? I only see a VCORE and VDIMM
to set, and I can only set it up OR down, no RANGE, so to speak. Do I
set them DOWN to let the voltages SAG, as you suggest? Wouldn't setting
them down just regulate them to whatever I set them down TO? And these
are voltages of 1.75 (VCORE) and 2.5 (VDIMM) not 5v or 12v, which is
what's going to the video card with it's power connector, but I probably
don't understand all this.

I'm leaning toward just getting a new motherboard, more modern, and
starting from scratch on this box!! I'd like to figure it out just for
figuring out's sake!! I have two boxes with 8KHA+ boards, and this 9800
won't work in either. Neither has a plethora of STUFF in them that would
be loading a power supply, and both have good power supplies, I learned
that LONG AGO!! I could replace one, keep the 8KHA+ as a spare in case
the other one develops the dread leaking capacitor disease.

Thanks for the help.

--

Tom
Greenville, WI, USA

ThosJ wrote:
> OK, tried card in computer where it lived before, the 9800 works
> flawlessly, so it's NOT the video card, it's the motherboard,
> apparently.
>
> Now, where do I find these RANGES to set? I only see a VCORE and VDIMM
> to set, and I can only set it up OR down, no RANGE, so to speak. Do I
> set them DOWN to let the voltages SAG, as you suggest? Wouldn't
> setting them down just regulate them to whatever I set them down TO?
> And these are voltages of 1.75 (VCORE) and 2.5 (VDIMM) not 5v or 12v,
> which is what's going to the video card with it's power connector,
> but I probably don't understand all this.
>
> I'm leaning toward just getting a new motherboard, more modern, and
> starting from scratch on this box!! I'd like to figure it out just for
> figuring out's sake!! I have two boxes with 8KHA+ boards, and this
> 9800 won't work in either. Neither has a plethora of STUFF in them
> that would be loading a power supply, and both have good power
> supplies, I learned that LONG AGO!! I could replace one, keep the
> 8KHA+ as a spare in case the other one develops the dread leaking
> capacitor disease.

Hmmm... I found my 8KHA+ manual and I find that my earlier advice was
off! There isn't any facility to set the shutdown sensitivity of the
'Health'
parameters. But I did see that the AGP catered for 1X, 2X and 4X but not
8X which requires a lower voltage, I believe. Is 8X a requirement of your
9800 ?

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 21:50:50 -0000, "Graham W"
<graham@his.com.puter.INVALID> wrote:

>Hmmm... I found my 8KHA+ manual and I find that my earlier advice was
>off! There isn't any facility to set the shutdown sensitivity of the
>'Health'
>parameters. But I did see that the AGP catered for 1X, 2X and 4X but not
>8X which requires a lower voltage, I believe. Is 8X a requirement of your
>9800 ?

I'm not sure if it's a requirement. It is 8x capable for certain.
Perhaps that's the problem. Not sure why a lower required voltage would
trip the power supply out, but I guess!!

I suppose I'm down to leaving the 9700 in or swapping to a newer board
that'll support the 9800.

I can't imagine the 9800 not working in two 8KHA+ boards, working fine
in a couple non 8KHA+ boards, and the problem being anything other than
incompatibility, can you?

I just went to ati.com and it says 8x/4x/2x AGP, so still a mystery. I
surely don't get it.

Wonder where else I could go post to see if anyone has this combo
working or has a clue?

--

Tom
Greenville, WI, USA

ThosJ wrote:
[...]
> Wonder where else I could go post to see if anyone has this combo
> working or has a clue?

news:alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati might help?

I'm there, no help yet!!

Thanks

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 18:38:39 -0000, "Graham W"
<graham@his.com.puter.INVALID> wrote:

>ThosJ wrote:
>[...]
>> Wonder where else I could go post to see if anyone has this combo
>> working or has a clue?
>
>news:alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati might help?

--

Tom
Greenville, WI, USA

I had the same problem with an AIW 9700 Pro in a Tyan S2460 (dual processor
motherboard). When I attached the aux. 12V connector to the vid card and
pressed the start button, things lit up for a split second, then immediately
died. If I unplugged the aux. 12V connector from the 9700 and started the
machine, everything fires right up, but I get the ATI on-screen error
message that I need to plug in the aux. 12V connector to the card.

The AIW 9700 Pro works flawlessly in my 4PEA+ with an Antec 400W PSU. The
Tyan board has an Antec 550W PSU with a dedicated 40A on the 5V rail. That's
a lot of juice. I even tried another PSU that had a whopping 66A on the 5V
rail. No luck. I've given up and attributed it to an idiosyncrasy with the
motherboard...perhaps the regulation stage.

Having said all that, the Tyan S2460 does *not* have an 8-pin aux. 12V
connector to help supply power to the CPUs so all current draw must go
through the ATX connector...and the AIW 9700/9800 Pros require a fair amount
of power.

--
Robert J. Salvi, Ambiance Acoustics
http://www.ambianceacoustics.com

"ThosJ" <TopPoster@localhost> wrote in message
> I'm there, no help yet!!
>
> Thanks
>
> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 18:38:39 -0000, "Graham W"
> <graham@his.com.puter.INVALID> wrote:
>
>>ThosJ wrote:
>>[...]
>>> Wonder where else I could go post to see if anyone has this combo
>>> working or has a clue?
>>
>>news:alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati might help?
>

> --
>
> Tom
> Greenville, WI, USA

Yeah, and mine WORKS with a 9700 Pro and NOT with AIW 9800, so perhaps
it's the AIW drawing enough power to trip something. Our symptoms sound
the same!!

I took the board out today and there is one bulged cap, so I sent it off
to a place in Utah, http://www.motherboardrepair.com/index.php?sec=home
He will replace all the caps and check it out. I'll see what it does
when it comes back from that!! Perhaps the board has more bad caps and
the voltage regulation wasn't happening correctly.

--

Tom
Greenville, WI, USA

The guy you're sending the board to, Gary, does excellent work. You might
think about asking him if it's okay to send along the AIW 9800 Pro with the
mobo and have him troubleshoot the problem you're having with it. Might be
worth a couple of bucks to find out. fwiw...

--

> Yeah, and mine WORKS with a 9700 Pro and NOT with AIW 9800, so perhaps
> it's the AIW drawing enough power to trip something. Our symptoms sound
> the same!!
>
> I took the board out today and there is one bulged cap, so I sent it off
> to a place in Utah, http://www.motherboardrepair.com/index.php?sec=home
> He will replace all the caps and check it out. I'll see what it does
> when it comes back from that!! Perhaps the board has more bad caps and
> the voltage regulation wasn't happening correctly.
>
> On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 15:04:16 GMT, "R. J. Salvi"
> <rjsalvi@nospamambianceacoustics.com> wrote:
>
>>I had the same problem with an AIW 9700 Pro in a Tyan S2460 (dual
>>processor
>>motherboard). When I attached the aux. 12V connector to the vid card and
>>pressed the start button, things lit up for a split second, then
>>immediately
>>died. If I unplugged the aux. 12V connector from the 9700 and started the
>>machine, everything fires right up, but I get the ATI on-screen error
>>message that I need to plug in the aux. 12V connector to the card.
>>
>>The AIW 9700 Pro works flawlessly in my 4PEA+ with an Antec 400W PSU. The
>>Tyan board has an Antec 550W PSU with a dedicated 40A on the 5V rail.
>>That's
>>a lot of juice. I even tried another PSU that had a whopping 66A on the 5V
>>rail. No luck. I've given up and attributed it to an idiosyncrasy with the
>>motherboard...perhaps the regulation stage.
>>
>>Having said all that, the Tyan S2460 does *not* have an 8-pin aux. 12V
>>connector to help supply power to the CPUs so all current draw must go
>>through the ATX connector...and the AIW 9700/9800 Pros require a fair
>>amount
>>of power.
>

> --
>
> Tom
> Greenville, WI, USA

Ah, too late!! Great suggestion, wish I'd thought of that. Gary received
my board Monday, nothing back yet. He's not terribly communicative, but
hopefully he's too busy for idle banter!!

We'll know soon, I guess.

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 21:15:15 GMT, "R. J. Salvi"