How Many New C84 Users?

So...how many new C84 users are there now? I'm sure I'm not the only one
who bought one from Office Depot. For $8 after rebate, I couldn't resist.
So far I'm very impressed. The water resistant DuraBrite inks are great and
it's definitely aesthetically pleasing. Matches my computer setup =P. The
one thing I'm concered with is ink costs since cartridges aren't available
at Costco yet - but hopefully that won't be a problem. I just bought a set
of genuine Epsons on eBay for $30.

All in all, it's a nice printer. It's my first Epson and I hope it won't be
my last!

In article <oYSyc.22270$Ha2.2832@twister.socal.rr.com>,
"xNokia3390x" <ofc2-ivom@spamex.com> wrote:

> So...how many new C84 users are there now? I'm sure I'm not the only one
> who bought one from Office Depot. For $8 after rebate, I couldn't resist.
> So far I'm very impressed. The water resistant DuraBrite inks are great and
> it's definitely aesthetically pleasing. Matches my computer setup =P. The
> one thing I'm concered with is ink costs since cartridges aren't available
> at Costco yet - but hopefully that won't be a problem. I just bought a set
> of genuine Epsons on eBay for $30.

For $50 I got three sets of generic from inkdaddy.

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

xNokia3390x wrote:

> So...how many new C84 users are there now? I'm sure I'm not the only one
> who bought one from Office Depot. For $8 after rebate, I couldn't resist.
> So far I'm very impressed. The water resistant DuraBrite inks are great and
> it's definitely aesthetically pleasing. Matches my computer setup =P. The
> one thing I'm concered with is ink costs since cartridges aren't available
> at Costco yet - but hopefully that won't be a problem. I just bought a set
> of genuine Epsons on eBay for $30.
>
> All in all, it's a nice printer. It's my first Epson and I hope it won't be
> my last!

8 bucks? That must have been hard to pass up. But it's another case of
"give away the razor; sell the blades". Carts are shamefully
overpriced, and the prime/purge cycles waste way too much ink.

I built a reader/resetter for my C80 carts and I refill them. The
effort I expended reverse-engineering the Intellige chip guarantees that
I definitely will not consider buying another printer - even an 8-buck
one - until the C80 dries up and dies. And I will not buy another Epson
or any other that is engineered to keep me coming back to the trough for
$2000/liter ink.

In article <40CC6163.23916505@att.net>, Michael <NoSpam@att.net> wrote:

> I built a reader/resetter for my C80 carts and I refill them. The
> effort I expended reverse-engineering the Intellige chip guarantees that
> I definitely will not consider buying another printer - even an 8-buck
> one - until the C80 dries up and dies. And I will not buy another Epson
> or any other that is engineered to keep me coming back to the trough for
> $2000/liter ink.

Looks like you won't be printing much, then, after the C80 dies.

Because they all do that.

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 07:00:36 GMT, "xNokia3390x" <ofc2-ivom@spamex.com>
wrote:

>So...how many new C84 users are there now? I'm sure I'm not the only one
>who bought one from Office Depot. For $8 after rebate, I couldn't resist.
>So far I'm very impressed. The water resistant DuraBrite inks are great and
>it's definitely aesthetically pleasing. Matches my computer setup =P. The
>one thing I'm concered with is ink costs since cartridges aren't available
>at Costco yet - but hopefully that won't be a problem. I just bought a set
>of genuine Epsons on eBay for $30.
>
>All in all, it's a nice printer. It's my first Epson and I hope it won't be
>my last!

I also get great results from a C84, and refilling cartidges is no
problem.The YXD268 chip resetter is a cheap and quick way to fix the
smartass chip. To refill the OEM cartridge I drilled a 3mm hole in the
space between the word "Appuyez" and the outer ring of the bullseye.
You have to pass two thicknesses of plastic, but stop there because
there is a circular chamber in the centre of the cartridge that you
must not penetrate. It is easiest to start the hole with a hot needle,
then follow carefully with a hand-held drill. Fill the hole with a
rubber bung when you have finished. You must not leave the cartridges
dry for long as these fancy inks clog up easily. I can't guarantee it
will work for everyone, but it did for me. An alternative is to buy
replacement compatible cartridges, because these come already with
filling holes hidden under the label.

Good luck

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" wrote:

> In article <40CC6163.23916505@att.net>, Michael <NoSpam@att.net> wrote:
>
> > I built a reader/resetter for my C80 carts and I refill them. The
> > effort I expended reverse-engineering the Intellige chip guarantees that
> > I definitely will not consider buying another printer - even an 8-buck
> > one - until the C80 dries up and dies. And I will not buy another Epson
> > or any other that is engineered to keep me coming back to the trough for
> > $2000/liter ink.
>
> Looks like you won't be printing much, then, after the C80 dies.
>
> Because they all do that.

Yeah, well .... that won't be for some time yet. I have two spares,
unopened.