Skype's Network Ditches P2P Tech for Linux Boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
"Skype now uses thousands of Linux-based servers that have been "hardened" for the most common types of hack attacks."

On other news, attackers have move into newer less common attacks,

scythe944

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]RazorBurn[/nom]Microsoft will use Linux Servers?? Does anyone see the irony in this??[/citation]

... they couldn't afford all of that pesky licensing! oh... wait.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
[citation][nom]RazorBurn[/nom]Microsoft will use Linux Servers?? Does anyone see the irony in this??[/citation]
I was thinking the exact same thing through the read. Irony is part of it, but more importantly, should I now have less faith in their Windows Server OS?

yumri

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010
um matt_b you probably should if the company doesn't use its own OS to do sever side operations there is a flaw in it that they were not able to fix and thus you probably shouldn't use it as due to that flaw what ever it might be

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
Hmm... Linux or Windows, which to use... As a man with a brain, Linux definitely is appropriate. As a die-hard Microsoft fan, I'll just use what they use.

Linux it is!

_TuxUser_

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

Microsoft been employing Linux and BSD admins for a long time and one of the largest Linux staff employer and even have their own Linux development department, not always just making things to happen but also copy GPL licensed software and then sell it with a Microsoft EULA.

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
Linux servers have a purpose the same as microsoft servers do, its important to play on both sides of the fence since that way they can market products to both.

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
Who cares what its running on...
Can I finally get skype on something other than a verizon phone without hacking my provider code???????
I can't install it on half the devices I have. Need to increase the installation base.

Its a great tool that is still very limited.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
id guess that the linux thing is compatibility reasons right now, reducing the servers and increasing the amount they can handle could be a stopgap between a full transition...

keep in mind, skype is a service that if it blacked out or failed for a lenghy period of time (a full server os switch) could kill the product, even if it came back better than before.

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
[citation][nom]sandmanwn[/nom]Who cares what its running on...Can I finally get skype on something other than a verizon phone without hacking my provider code???????I can't install it on half the devices I have. Need to increase the installation base.Its a great tool that is still very limited.[/citation]
Haha, very true. And most people care probably because it's akin to Apple using Windows NT servers for it's iTunes user authentication servers, or Microsoft using MacOS X servers for it's Xbox network backbone. If your product really is as badass as you hype it to be, then why do you need some CrApple or MS_BS to run it on? The real badass companies make their own products and use it. Like Google using GWS for it's web serving needs. :)

maddy143ded

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
Theyuse Linux because it is more ideally built for that specific task, and instead of building up a brand new OS from ground up they took a shortcut and customized Linux kernel for themselves...

TheKurrgan

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
The guy in charge of Skype was only allowed to use the 2012 version of Windows server, no other..
In that light, I dont see where he had a choice..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS