My system will Standby only to the low-power state (S1) but not lower-power
(S3) despite S3 being selected in BIOS. There are no error messages. There
are no conflicts in Device Manager. It hibernates fine. Updated all drivers &
DirectX.

I know this is an all-too-common problem w. Win XP, does anyone know how to
isolate what it is that's causing the problem?

I have found that the operating system MUST be loaded while the "suspend to
Ram" function is activated in the computer BIOS. If the function is off
during load, you can not enable it after the fact. It will not work.

Also, if "suspend to Ram" is loaded in the BIOS, and works perfectly while
in Windows - and you then turn off "suspend to Ram" in the BIOS, you will
not be able to re-enable to get it to work in Windows again.

You will have to reload your operating system from scratch, with "suspend to
Ram" enabled.

The above is for an Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard and an Asus A7V266e
motherboard using Windows XP Professional.

Don't know about others.

--

Regards:

Richard Urban