Working with temperature

I have an 8RDA+ Rev 2.x I believe with an Athlon XP 3200+. I replaced my
Antec 400W PS for a Zalman 400W noiseless. It is quieter.

I turned off the 4 case fans I had running as they were the main culprit for
the noise and ordered 4 quieter ones from NewEgg (Arctic Cool).

Now, the system temp is around 36 C as I write this and the CPU is at 56 or
57C! YEs, I'm sure it's because my 4 case fans aren't running. But,
before, the CPU hardly ever went above 50 C and at that point the system
would lock or BSOD. How is it at 57 C now and not locking up? That's my
main question.

Thank you for your help. Could the old PS have been causing lockups? How
could it?

If you want any other details, please ask.

--
Michael Sovitzky
MCSE: W2K

As an important followup, at what temperature should I be worried for the
CPU to avoid damage to itself and/or the board?

60 C, 70 C?

Thanks!

Michael Sovitzky wrote:
> As an important followup, at what temperature should I be worried for
> the CPU to avoid damage to itself and/or the board?
>
> 60 C, 70 C?

80º or 85ºC

But check the temperature alarm/throttle settings before you
turn the CPU fan off as well!

And, yes, the PSU can cause those odd crashes.