HELP, Athlon XP 2400+ 266MHz T-bred on a 8KTA3 Rev 1.0

Does anyone here have a Althlon XP 2400+ 266 MHz Thoroughbred B
(AXDA2400DKV3C) running on a plain 8KTA3 rev 1.0 MB? If so, could you please
tell me how you got it to work? What BIOS version/date are you running &
what exactly are all the other settings you used to get it to work.
I currently running a AXDA1800DLT3C oc'd at 1.55 VCore 133x12 (1600MHz,
1900+) with the German BIOS dated 4/09/2003 with no problems. But when I put
the 2400+ in, the PC won't POST, no beep, nothing. And the monitor gives me
a "check input cable" or "check input signal", I don't remember which, for
5-10 seconds then goes into standby mode.
I can't get into the BIOS to change any settings. I've tried to change the
jumper for the Host Clock from 133 to 100 with the same results.

I am told that the CPU is good from the person who sold it to me & that the
problem is my MB. But shouldn't I at least be able to get into my BIOS and
underclock the 2400+??? I've read several times where someone is
successfully running a 2400+ on a 8KTA3 rev 1.0. What am I doing wrong?
Please help.

Roger

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

Try holding down the "Insert" key when powering on. Go to Epox website and
get the latest bios. Clear the cmos and load bios defaults. You are told to
cpu is good but you should make sure by testing it in another system.

DaveL

"not@here" <not@here.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone here have a Althlon XP 2400+ 266 MHz Thoroughbred B
> (AXDA2400DKV3C) running on a plain 8KTA3 rev 1.0 MB? If so, could you
> please tell me how you got it to work? What BIOS version/date are you
> running & what exactly are all the other settings you used to get it to
> work.
> I currently running a AXDA1800DLT3C oc'd at 1.55 VCore 133x12 (1600MHz,
> 1900+) with the German BIOS dated 4/09/2003 with no problems. But when I
> put the 2400+ in, the PC won't POST, no beep, nothing. And the monitor
> gives me a "check input cable" or "check input signal", I don't remember
> which, for 5-10 seconds then goes into standby mode.
> I can't get into the BIOS to change any settings. I've tried to change the
> jumper for the Host Clock from 133 to 100 with the same results.
>
> I am told that the CPU is good from the person who sold it to me & that
> the problem is my MB. But shouldn't I at least be able to get into my BIOS
> and underclock the 2400+??? I've read several times where someone is
> successfully running a 2400+ on a 8KTA3 rev 1.0. What am I doing wrong?
> Please help.
>
> Roger

What does holding the insert key do during power on? That's a new one for
me.
I have the latest Bios that there is, 8KT33409.
I can't test it in another system as no one I know has an MB that could
support this CPU.

Roger

"DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Try holding down the "Insert" key when powering on. Go to Epox website
> and get the latest bios. Clear the cmos and load bios defaults. You are
> told to cpu is good but you should make sure by testing it in another
> system.
>
> DaveL
>

> "not@here" <not@here.com> wrote in message
>> Does anyone here have a Althlon XP 2400+ 266 MHz Thoroughbred B
>> (AXDA2400DKV3C) running on a plain 8KTA3 rev 1.0 MB? If so, could you
>> please tell me how you got it to work? What BIOS version/date are you
>> running & what exactly are all the other settings you used to get it to
>> work.
>> I currently running a AXDA1800DLT3C oc'd at 1.55 VCore 133x12 (1600MHz,
>> 1900+) with the German BIOS dated 4/09/2003 with no problems. But when I
>> put the 2400+ in, the PC won't POST, no beep, nothing. And the monitor
>> gives me a "check input cable" or "check input signal", I don't remember
>> which, for 5-10 seconds then goes into standby mode.
>> I can't get into the BIOS to change any settings. I've tried to change
>> the jumper for the Host Clock from 133 to 100 with the same results.
>>
>> I am told that the CPU is good from the person who sold it to me & that
>> the problem is my MB. But shouldn't I at least be able to get into my
>> BIOS and underclock the 2400+??? I've read several times where someone is
>> successfully running a 2400+ on a 8KTA3 rev 1.0. What am I doing wrong?
>> Please help.
>>
>> Roger

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

The "Insert" trick works on my Epox system. It makes the system boot at
failsafe defaults. I use it when trying out different overclocking
settings. If I go too far with a setting and the system won't boot, I
simply power off and back on with the insert key and low and behold it boots
at 100 mhz fsb.

> What does holding the insert key do during power on? That's a new one for
> me.
> I have the latest Bios that there is, 8KT33409.
> I can't test it in another system as no one I know has an MB that could
> support this CPU.
>
> Roger
>

> "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Try holding down the "Insert" key when powering on. Go to Epox website
>> and get the latest bios. Clear the cmos and load bios defaults. You are
>> told to cpu is good but you should make sure by testing it in another
>> system.
>>
>> DaveL
>>

>> "not@here" <not@here.com> wrote in message
>>> Does anyone here have a Althlon XP 2400+ 266 MHz Thoroughbred B
>>> (AXDA2400DKV3C) running on a plain 8KTA3 rev 1.0 MB? If so, could you
>>> please tell me how you got it to work? What BIOS version/date are you
>>> running & what exactly are all the other settings you used to get it to
>>> work.
>>> I currently running a AXDA1800DLT3C oc'd at 1.55 VCore 133x12 (1600MHz,
>>> 1900+) with the German BIOS dated 4/09/2003 with no problems. But when I
>>> put the 2400+ in, the PC won't POST, no beep, nothing. And the monitor
>>> gives me a "check input cable" or "check input signal", I don't remember
>>> which, for 5-10 seconds then goes into standby mode.
>>> I can't get into the BIOS to change any settings. I've tried to change
>>> the jumper for the Host Clock from 133 to 100 with the same results.
>>>
>>> I am told that the CPU is good from the person who sold it to me & that
>>> the problem is my MB. But shouldn't I at least be able to get into my
>>> BIOS and underclock the 2400+??? I've read several times where someone
>>> is successfully running a 2400+ on a 8KTA3 rev 1.0. What am I doing
>>> wrong? Please help.
>>>
>>> Roger

I wish I had known that sooner, it might have made a difference. The guy
told me to mail it back & would give me a refund. So I did. Now I don't have
it to experiment with. I suppose I'll just have to go ahead & upgrade the
MB,CPU & Mem. Less headache & a sure thing. For $265 I can get a Chaintech
S1689, Athlon 64 3000 939 & 512MB DDR400 Mem. That would go nicely with my
new 6600GT. It would be a far cry faster than what I have or would have with
the 2400+. Thanks anyway for your help.