Can not access hard drive

dave51

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2004

Hi on my Win XP home system one of my hard drives has dissapeared from my
computer' it is still listed in device manager.
It is a device of 200 GB on a promise ide card - it apears as a sussi device
I have another 200 Gb drive also on this card and that is still working at
present.
I have tryed to run Chkdsk on it but get "Cannot open volume for direct
access."
It was working okay this morning untill I ran O&o defrag on it, the PC just
rebooted and the drive dissapeared.
Any one got any ideas what has gone wrong and what I can do to recover my
files.
TIA Dave

Dave, you could try swapping connections on the promise ide card. If
it's still listed in Device Manager you may have to
reinstall the promise drivers for it. Usually a yellow mark next to it
indicates driver install/reinstall.
"Dave51" <dareynolds51.nospam@hotmail.nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi on my Win XP home system one of my hard drives has dissapeared from my
> computer' it is still listed in device manager.
> It is a device of 200 GB on a promise ide card - it apears as a sussi
> device I have another 200 Gb drive also on this card and that is still
> working at present.
> I have tryed to run Chkdsk on it but get "Cannot open volume for direct
> access."
> It was working okay this morning untill I ran O&o defrag on it, the PC
> just rebooted and the drive dissapeared.
> Any one got any ideas what has gone wrong and what I can do to recover my
> files.
> TIA Dave

Hi Dave,

Best solution for it is to recover your files first. Try to download this: "DiskDigger" at google.com.

I'm having problem the same like yours. i run chkdsk also, but sadly, it didn't work. i'll back to you once i got a solution for our problem.

Guys, help please.

Thanks,

JamieBink

markberry68

Same or similar problem.. was running Windows 7 on the trial.. Both of my 1.5 TB drives were same make, model, and purchase date. I uninstalled windows 7 and back to XP Pro, and 1 drive works just fine, the other shows it in the Device Manager and in the administrator tools.. .. try to explore the drive and get the error that it is not accessible... ....... strange stuff, I would sure like to figure it out... ... also, if you try to update a driver, you can choose this otherwise unavailable drive, and you can explore around and look at all the directories and files.... but no other way... so confusing.