windows XP reboot during high network traffic???

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Hi,

My station have some problems.
When I generate a high network trafic (like transfering a file of 100mb) my
station simply reboot! (no blue screen, nothing, just a reboot and no event
in the event log)

also the problem occurs if I'm not connected to the station and I copy a
file remotly from this station to another computer.

during my tests (when thre reboot is not instantaneous) I see the usage of
the bandwidth is 10 to 15% of a 100mbps line.
doing the same work on another XP computer demonstrate a usage of 70-80% of
the same network.

My network card is a 3Com.

Any idea of what's appends?
what can I test/do?

thanks.

Jerome.
4 answers Last reply
More about windows reboot high network traffic
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    You could have a bad NIC. Our department where I work did away with 3COM
    NIC's, we now use Intel Pro's.

    Bob Eyster

    "Jéjé" <willgart@BBBhotmailAAA.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > My station have some problems.
    > When I generate a high network trafic (like transfering a file of 100mb)
    > my station simply reboot! (no blue screen, nothing, just a reboot and no
    > event in the event log)
    >
    > also the problem occurs if I'm not connected to the station and I copy a
    > file remotly from this station to another computer.
    >
    > during my tests (when thre reboot is not instantaneous) I see the usage of
    > the bandwidth is 10 to 15% of a 100mbps line.
    > doing the same work on another XP computer demonstrate a usage of 70-80%
    > of the same network.
    >
    > My network card is a 3Com.
    >
    > Any idea of what's appends?
    > what can I test/do?
    >
    > thanks.
    >
    > Jerome.

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Bob Eyster wrote:
    > You could have a bad NIC. Our department where I work did away with
    > 3COM NIC's, we now use Intel Pro's.

    I second (and third, and fourth) that one. I haven't been happy with 3Com
    NICs in a long long time and always go with Intel.

    > Bob Eyster
    >

    > "Jéjé" <willgart@BBBhotmailAAA.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> My station have some problems.
    >> When I generate a high network trafic (like transfering a file of
    >> 100mb) my station simply reboot! (no blue screen, nothing, just a
    >> reboot and no event in the event log)
    >>
    >> also the problem occurs if I'm not connected to the station and I
    >> copy a file remotly from this station to another computer.
    >>
    >> during my tests (when thre reboot is not instantaneous) I see the
    >> usage of the bandwidth is 10 to 15% of a 100mbps line.
    >> doing the same work on another XP computer demonstrate a usage of
    >> 70-80% of the same network.
    >>
    >> My network card is a 3Com.
    >>
    >> Any idea of what's appends?
    >> what can I test/do?
    >>
    >> thanks.
    >>
    >> Jerome.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Download the diagnostic tools from 3com, specific to your card.
    I was having trouble with a couple of my 3coms. I used the
    diagnostic tools and re configured the cards and they have been
    working fine for a couple of years.
    *But then if Murphy is around they may be just bad.*

    "Jéjé" <willgart@BBBhotmailAAA.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > My station have some problems.
    > When I generate a high network trafic (like transfering a file of
    > 100mb) my station simply reboot! (no blue screen, nothing, just a
    > reboot and no event in the event log)
    >
    > also the problem occurs if I'm not connected to the station and I
    > copy a file remotly from this station to another computer.
    >
    > during my tests (when thre reboot is not instantaneous) I see the
    > usage of the bandwidth is 10 to 15% of a 100mbps line.
    > doing the same work on another XP computer demonstrate a usage of
    > 70-80% of the same network.
    >
    > My network card is a 3Com.
    >
    > Any idea of what's appends?
    > what can I test/do?
    >
    > thanks.
    >
    > Jerome.

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    I've changed the auto-sense line option to 100mbps full duplex and the
    computer appear to not reboot (for the moment ;))

    I'll check intel card now ;-)
    what model do you recommand for standard computers?

    "Frank" <bbunny@bqik.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
    uzfxUV8sEHA.2128@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    > Download the diagnostic tools from 3com, specific to your card.
    > I was having trouble with a couple of my 3coms. I used the
    > diagnostic tools and re configured the cards and they have been
    > working fine for a couple of years.
    > *But then if Murphy is around they may be just bad.*
    >
    > "Jéjé" <willgart@BBBhotmailAAA.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> My station have some problems.
    >> When I generate a high network trafic (like transfering a file of 100mb)
    >> my station simply reboot! (no blue screen, nothing, just a reboot and no
    >> event in the event log)
    >>
    >> also the problem occurs if I'm not connected to the station and I copy a
    >> file remotly from this station to another computer.
    >>
    >> during my tests (when thre reboot is not instantaneous) I see the usage
    >> of the bandwidth is 10 to 15% of a 100mbps line.
    >> doing the same work on another XP computer demonstrate a usage of 70-80%
    >> of the same network.
    >>
    >> My network card is a 3Com.
    >>
    >> Any idea of what's appends?
    >> what can I test/do?