DVD-RW drive not working properly/not configured

Windows says that my DVD burner is not working properly and/or it is not
configured for Windows. I tried to "activate" the device through the Add
Hardware option in Control Panel but Windows says that it was unable to fix
the device. I get the same message every time and I am getting nowhere.

Did you install it properly ?- Is the jumper set properly ?

The drivers for the DVD burner are included as part of windows. The hardware
should be detected and installed when booting up following install.
You also need to install the burning software to get full utilization of the
drive.

--
Jon Hildrum
DTS MVP
"Ian Stewart" <IanStewart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Windows says that my DVD burner is not working properly and/or it is not
> configured for Windows. I tried to "activate" the device through the Add
> Hardware option in Control Panel but Windows says that it was unable to
fix
> the device. I get the same message every time and I am getting nowhere.

I downloaded the latest drivers but I couldn't install them because the
software couldn't locate the drive the drivers were updating. I read on some
forums and a lot of people have had similar problems with this DVD-RW drive:
LG GSA-4081B. It's as if the drive doesn't exist. It has power but when I put
in a disc, it isn't recognized.

Ian Stewart wrote:
> Windows says that my DVD burner is not working properly and/or it is
> not configured for Windows. I tried to "activate" the device through
> the Add Hardware option in Control Panel but Windows says that it was
> unable to fix the device. I get the same message every time and I am
> getting nowhere.

Get the latest WinXP driver from the hardware mfr's website, and install it
in Device Manager.

What's the error code? Is it one of these:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

"CD-ROM Access Is Missing and Messages Cite Error Code 31, Code 32, Code 19,
or Code 39 After You Remove Easy CD Creator in Windows XP"

(I believe that there are other ways to get the bad registry entries than by
uninstalling Easy CD Creator. I vaguely recall that the CD code built into
XP was licensed from Roxio, so there's some Roxio code even if you never
install any Roxio products.)

If you don't care to edit the registry manually, there are automated fixes,
such as at:

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm

I don't understand another poster's suggestion to update the driver for the
DVD. Every internal IDE CD or DVD drive that I've seen in the past decade
(Win95 on) has used the mainboard's IDE controller drivers, which are often
the default drivers provided by Microsoft. If your mainboard wants special
drivers (e. g., the Via drivers for my Athlon64 board with a Via chipset),
it'd be good to update those, but I doubt that is the root of your problem.

Good luck.

"Ian Stewart" <IanStewart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Windows says that my DVD burner is not working properly and/or it is not
> configured for Windows. I tried to "activate" the device through the Add
> Hardware option in Control Panel but Windows says that it was unable to
> fix
> the device. I get the same message every time and I am getting nowhere.

Can someone help...after I installed SP2, neither Windows Media or Roxio
recognize that I have put a blank CD-R into the DVD/CD burner that came with
my Dell Dimension 4600. The Dell service rep told me to uninstall SP2 which I
have done, but now my PC runs really slow. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.