Promise Ultra 133 TX2 and existing boot drive

ME

I have a machine with a Soltek SL-DRV75-5 motherboard with a dead IDE
controller. It was running XP Home when it died. I purchased a Promise
Ultra 133 TX2 add on controller to replace the dead controller.

The installation instructions for XP say for a clean install to hit F6 when
prompted for a 3rd party driver and install the driver then. For migrating
an existing boot drive to the new controller, it says to install the drivers
before disconnecting from the old controller.

Well, I want to move an existing boot drive to the new controller, but
installing the drivers before moving the drive is out of the question.
Also, I don't want to do a "Clean" install and lose all the files on the
drive.

Any suggestions?
What about F6 and install the new drivers, and then doing a "Dirty" install
over the top? Or, if I F6 and install the drivers and then just quit and
re-boot, will XP see the drivers and use the controller?

Thanks,
CJon

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Boot from the XP CD and opt for a "Repair" install. You will then be asked
which installation to repair - select it - and have the drivers floppy ready
when you'rer asked to hit F6. All your stuff should still be there whne the
repair is done.

"Me" <not_today@nor.tomorrow.not> wrote in message
>I have a machine with a Soltek SL-DRV75-5 motherboard with a dead IDE
> controller. It was running XP Home when it died. I purchased a Promise
> Ultra 133 TX2 add on controller to replace the dead controller.
>
> The installation instructions for XP say for a clean install to hit F6
> when
> prompted for a 3rd party driver and install the driver then. For
> migrating
> an existing boot drive to the new controller, it says to install the
> drivers
> before disconnecting from the old controller.
>
> Well, I want to move an existing boot drive to the new controller, but
> installing the drivers before moving the drive is out of the question.
> Also, I don't want to do a "Clean" install and lose all the files on the
> drive.
>
> Any suggestions?
> What about F6 and install the new drivers, and then doing a "Dirty"
> install
> over the top? Or, if I F6 and install the drivers and then just quit and
> re-boot, will XP see the drivers and use the controller?
>
> Thanks,
> CJon

Does your board have 1 or 2 IDE channels?

This might work though don't know for sure:
If you have 2 IDE channels and only 1 is dead connect the boot drive to it
and select it in BIOS as the boot drive (disconnect the optical drives if
the Promise drivers are on diskette). Load the drivers for the promise
card (insert card first as per Promise instructions). Reboot and you will
see an extra screen before WinXP boots as the Promise card is detected. Now
that your boot drive has the promise drivers on it, connect your boot drive
to the controller card and change BIOS to boot from SCSI instead of onboard
IDE (as per Promise instructions and your motherboard manual).

Promise card will be detected as a SCSI controller FYI. If windows
recognises the card and loads native drivers still load the drivers on the
Promise diskette (the native drivers for my Ultra100TX2 did not allow for
drives over 1378GB).

Reply once you got it fixed up SVP.

r.

"Me" <not_today@nor.tomorrow.not> wrote in message
>I have a machine with a Soltek SL-DRV75-5 motherboard with a dead IDE
> controller. It was running XP Home when it died. I purchased a Promise
> Ultra 133 TX2 add on controller to replace the dead controller.
>
> The installation instructions for XP say for a clean install to hit F6
> when
> prompted for a 3rd party driver and install the driver then. For
> migrating
> an existing boot drive to the new controller, it says to install the
> drivers
> before disconnecting from the old controller.
>
> Well, I want to move an existing boot drive to the new controller, but
> installing the drivers before moving the drive is out of the question.
> Also, I don't want to do a "Clean" install and lose all the files on the
> drive.
>
> Any suggestions?
> What about F6 and install the new drivers, and then doing a "Dirty"
> install
> over the top? Or, if I F6 and install the drivers and then just quit and
> re-boot, will XP see the drivers and use the controller?
>
> Thanks,
> CJon

Youre on track,boot to xp cd,press F6 when the text appears,then set for
non-RAID,press S,install floppy,press for non-RAID again,press S,then press
enter when it restarts install.From there,i would head to recovery,press
enter
for password,then type:CHKDSK C: /R When its thru,type:EXIT

"Me" wrote:

> I have a machine with a Soltek SL-DRV75-5 motherboard with a dead IDE
> controller. It was running XP Home when it died. I purchased a Promise
> Ultra 133 TX2 add on controller to replace the dead controller.
>
> The installation instructions for XP say for a clean install to hit F6 when
> prompted for a 3rd party driver and install the driver then. For migrating
> an existing boot drive to the new controller, it says to install the drivers
> before disconnecting from the old controller.
>
> Well, I want to move an existing boot drive to the new controller, but
> installing the drivers before moving the drive is out of the question.
> Also, I don't want to do a "Clean" install and lose all the files on the
> drive.
>
> Any suggestions?
> What about F6 and install the new drivers, and then doing a "Dirty" install
> over the top? Or, if I F6 and install the drivers and then just quit and
> re-boot, will XP see the drivers and use the controller?
>
> Thanks,
> CJon

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Me" <not_today@nor.tomorrow.not> wrote in message
>I have a machine with a Soltek SL-DRV75-5 motherboard with a dead IDE
> controller. It was running XP Home when it died. I purchased a
> Promise
> Ultra 133 TX2 add on controller to replace the dead controller.
>
> The installation instructions for XP say for a clean install to hit
> F6 when
> prompted for a 3rd party driver and install the driver then. For
> migrating
> an existing boot drive to the new controller, it says to install the
> drivers
> before disconnecting from the old controller.
>
> Well, I want to move an existing boot drive to the new controller,
> but
> installing the drivers before moving the drive is out of the
> question.
> Also, I don't want to do a "Clean" install and lose all the files on
> the
> drive.
>
> Any suggestions?
> What about F6 and install the new drivers, and then doing a "Dirty"
> install
> over the top? Or, if I F6 and install the drivers and then just
> quit and
> re-boot, will XP see the drivers and use the controller?
>
> Thanks,
> CJon

Why would you by a $40 controller card to put on a bad Mainboard????
A mainboard can be had from $40 to $80.......