can windows xp home ed run on a 64 bit AMD

Hello people,
I just want to know if windows xp home edition can run on a 64-Bit
processor, without have to buy Windows 64 bit edition.

Fraser.
1 answer Last reply
More about windows home

    Which 64 bit CPU? See:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/default.mspx

    XP Home supports the AMD Athlon64 CPU. I'm writing this from such a machine.

    I don't know whether XP Home supports the new Intel Xeon processors that
    include the "EMT 64" extensions. If I had to guess, I'd say yes.

    I would be very surprised if an Intel Itanium CPU (sold mainly for use in
    servers) ran under XP Home.

    My understanding is that the only commercially available 64 bit Windows at
    this time is the one for the Itanium processors. Even that one is not
    available for retail sale: you have to buy an Itanium-based system to get
    it.

    The 64 bit Windows that is available for AMD Athlon64 processors is still in
    beta testing. The beta is available is a free download (registration is
    required). It's a largish download, as it's an .iso image of a CD. (It's
    also available on CD for a nominal charge.) I've downloaded it, and may
    install it for testing someday. (The availability of drivers seems to be
    limited.)

    HTH.

    "Fraser" <Fraser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello people,
    > I just want to know if windows xp home edition can run on a 64-Bit
    > processor, without have to buy Windows 64 bit edition.
    >
    > Fraser.

Hardware AMD Windows XP Microsoft Processors