can windows xp home ed run on a 64 bit AMD

Hello people,
I just want to know if windows xp home edition can run on a 64-Bit
processor, without have to buy Windows 64 bit edition.

Fraser.

Which 64 bit CPU? See:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/default.mspx

XP Home supports the AMD Athlon64 CPU. I'm writing this from such a machine.

I don't know whether XP Home supports the new Intel Xeon processors that
include the "EMT 64" extensions. If I had to guess, I'd say yes.

I would be very surprised if an Intel Itanium CPU (sold mainly for use in
servers) ran under XP Home.

My understanding is that the only commercially available 64 bit Windows at
this time is the one for the Itanium processors. Even that one is not
available for retail sale: you have to buy an Itanium-based system to get
it.

The 64 bit Windows that is available for AMD Athlon64 processors is still in
beta testing. The beta is available is a free download (registration is
required). It's a largish download, as it's an .iso image of a CD. (It's
also available on CD for a nominal charge.) I've downloaded it, and may
install it for testing someday. (The availability of drivers seems to be
limited.)

HTH.