Sudden CPU temp increase (4PDA2+)

Guys--
4PDA2+ rev 2.0(?)
P4 2.8
Phoenix 12/25/03 bios
2 - 256 meg PC3200 crucial, dual channel
Zalman CNPS7000Cu cooler
Antec trupower 430 w psu
Raid 0 36 gig Raptors
Standard ram settings

I've got what looks to be a sudden increase in CPU temp from a normal
of ~40 C to 60-70 C. Temps and voltages on this mobo in bios have
always bounced around.

Running 100% cpu usage with Prime 95 and Norton Virus scan, The Zalman
cooler barely feels warm. General computer operation seems
normal--trouble free for 2+ years. I understand some of these mobos
have flaky sensors so therefore I suspect recent sensor failure and
false readings, as opposed to other hardware/firmware failure
resulting in actual 60-70 C operation. System temp looks normal at ~35
C. Comments?

Dave
12 answers Last reply
More about sudden temp increase 4pda2
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    Your suspicion sounds about right.

    DaveL

    "DaveH" <ddhartwick@IGIVEUPearthlink.net> wrote in message
    > Guys--
    > 4PDA2+ rev 2.0(?)
    > P4 2.8
    > Phoenix 12/25/03 bios
    > 2 - 256 meg PC3200 crucial, dual channel
    > Zalman CNPS7000Cu cooler
    > Antec trupower 430 w psu
    > Raid 0 36 gig Raptors
    > Standard ram settings
    >
    > I've got what looks to be a sudden increase in CPU temp from a normal
    > of ~40 C to 60-70 C. Temps and voltages on this mobo in bios have
    > always bounced around.
    >
    > Running 100% cpu usage with Prime 95 and Norton Virus scan, The Zalman
    > cooler barely feels warm. General computer operation seems
    > normal--trouble free for 2+ years. I understand some of these mobos
    > have flaky sensors so therefore I suspect recent sensor failure and
    > false readings, as opposed to other hardware/firmware failure
    > resulting in actual 60-70 C operation. System temp looks normal at ~35
    > C. Comments?
    >
    > Dave
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    Dave,
    I should be clear in that it doesn't merely spike occasionally around
    60-70 C but pretty much stays up there. 65 C is a rough average.

    It used to bounce around about 40 C, now it bounces around 65 C.
    Do you still suspect my suspicion is correct?
    Dave

    On Sat, 21 May 2005 09:21:56 -0700, "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net>
    wrote:

    >Your suspicion sounds about right.
    >
    >DaveL
    >

    >"DaveH" <ddhartwick@IGIVEUPearthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> Guys--
    >> 4PDA2+ rev 2.0(?)
    >> P4 2.8
    >> Phoenix 12/25/03 bios
    >> 2 - 256 meg PC3200 crucial, dual channel
    >> Zalman CNPS7000Cu cooler
    >> Antec trupower 430 w psu
    >> Raid 0 36 gig Raptors
    >> Standard ram settings
    >>
    >> I've got what looks to be a sudden increase in CPU temp from a normal
    >> of ~40 C to 60-70 C. Temps and voltages on this mobo in bios have
    >> always bounced around.
    >>
    >> Running 100% cpu usage with Prime 95 and Norton Virus scan, The Zalman
    >> cooler barely feels warm. General computer operation seems
    >> normal--trouble free for 2+ years. I understand some of these mobos
    >> have flaky sensors so therefore I suspect recent sensor failure and
    >> false readings, as opposed to other hardware/firmware failure
    >> resulting in actual 60-70 C operation. System temp looks normal at ~35
    >> C. Comments?
    >>
    >> Dave
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    All you can do is take the cooler off, clean it and remount it, making sure
    it's on firmly and correctly with new compound. You should monitor it's RPM
    to make sure the fan is not going bad. Also verify voltages to the cpu are
    not spiking. That could cause temps to spike accordingly. If all is
    correct then one can only assume sensor malfunction.

    > Dave,
    > I should be clear in that it doesn't merely spike occasionally around
    > 60-70 C but pretty much stays up there. 65 C is a rough average.
    >
    > It used to bounce around about 40 C, now it bounces around 65 C.
    > Do you still suspect my suspicion is correct?
    > Dave
    >

    > On Sat, 21 May 2005 09:21:56 -0700, "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Your suspicion sounds about right.
    >>
    >>DaveL
    >>

    >>"DaveH" <ddhartwick@IGIVEUPearthlink.net> wrote in message
    >>> Guys--
    >>> 4PDA2+ rev 2.0(?)
    >>> P4 2.8
    >>> Phoenix 12/25/03 bios
    >>> 2 - 256 meg PC3200 crucial, dual channel
    >>> Zalman CNPS7000Cu cooler
    >>> Antec trupower 430 w psu
    >>> Raid 0 36 gig Raptors
    >>> Standard ram settings
    >>>
    >>> I've got what looks to be a sudden increase in CPU temp from a normal
    >>> of ~40 C to 60-70 C. Temps and voltages on this mobo in bios have
    >>> always bounced around.
    >>>
    >>> Running 100% cpu usage with Prime 95 and Norton Virus scan, The Zalman
    >>> cooler barely feels warm. General computer operation seems
    >>> normal--trouble free for 2+ years. I understand some of these mobos
    >>> have flaky sensors so therefore I suspect recent sensor failure and
    >>> false readings, as opposed to other hardware/firmware failure
    >>> resulting in actual 60-70 C operation. System temp looks normal at ~35
    >>> C. Comments?
    >>>
    >>> Dave

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    Dave--
    My experience is not vast--half dozen machines--but I've never seen a
    cooler installation deteriorate, have you? I used Arctic silver on
    that heavy Zalman 7000 cooler, which is tightly torqued down and the
    fan is functioning properly. I hate to remove the cooler because the
    installation was a nightmare but I may have no choice.

    I think I'm correct in assuming that if the actual temps are as high
    as they read and something other than the sensors have failed that
    that something is probably not the CPU? I would think a partially
    failed CPU would probably not even boot, or minimally act up in a way
    that is quite obvious. It is tempting to replace the mobo with another
    4PDA2+ which I assume now sense temp and voltage correctly.

    I appreciate your help. This group used to be much more active. Where
    is everybody?
    Dave

    On Sun, 22 May 2005 09:02:41 -0700, "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net>
    wrote:

    >All you can do is take the cooler off, clean it and remount it, making sure
    >it's on firmly and correctly with new compound. You should monitor it's RPM
    >to make sure the fan is not going bad. Also verify voltages to the cpu are
    >not spiking. That could cause temps to spike accordingly. If all is
    >correct then one can only assume sensor malfunction.
    >
    >DaveL
    >

    >"DaveH" <ddhartwick@IGIVEUPearthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> Dave,
    >> I should be clear in that it doesn't merely spike occasionally around
    >> 60-70 C but pretty much stays up there. 65 C is a rough average.
    >>
    >> It used to bounce around about 40 C, now it bounces around 65 C.
    >> Do you still suspect my suspicion is correct?
    >> Dave
    >>

    >> On Sat, 21 May 2005 09:21:56 -0700, "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Your suspicion sounds about right.
    >>>
    >>>DaveL
    >>>

    >>>"DaveH" <ddhartwick@IGIVEUPearthlink.net> wrote in message

  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    Hmonitor shows V I/O bouncing around about 2.70 Volts, FWIW.

    wrote:

    >All you can do is take the cooler off, clean it and remount it, making sure
    >it's on firmly and correctly with new compound. You should monitor it's RPM
    >to make sure the fan is not going bad. Also verify voltages to the cpu are
    >not spiking. That could cause temps to spike accordingly. If all is
    >correct then one can only assume sensor malfunction.
    >
    >DaveL
    >

    >"DaveH" <ddhartwick@IGIVEUPearthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> Dave,
    >> I should be clear in that it doesn't merely spike occasionally around
    >> 60-70 C but pretty much stays up there. 65 C is a rough average.
    >>
    >> It used to bounce around about 40 C, now it bounces around 65 C.
    >> Do you still suspect my suspicion is correct?
    >> Dave
    >>

    >> On Sat, 21 May 2005 09:21:56 -0700, "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Your suspicion sounds about right.
    >>>
    >>>DaveL
    >>>

    >>>"DaveH" <ddhartwick@IGIVEUPearthlink.net> wrote in message

  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    DaveH

    If your 60ºC to 70ºC heatsink is only just warm to the touch then you've
    fallen into the trap of 'if it ain't broke then fix it until it is!'

    LEAVE IT ALONE!

    DaveH wrote:
    > Dave--
    > My experience is not vast--half dozen machines--but I've never seen a
    > cooler installation deteriorate, have you? I used Arctic silver on
    > that heavy Zalman 7000 cooler, which is tightly torqued down and the
    > fan is functioning properly. I hate to remove the cooler because the
    > installation was a nightmare but I may have no choice.
    >
    > I think I'm correct in assuming that if the actual temps are as high
    > as they read and something other than the sensors have failed that
    > that something is probably not the CPU? I would think a partially
    > failed CPU would probably not even boot, or minimally act up in a way
    > that is quite obvious. It is tempting to replace the mobo with another
    > 4PDA2+ which I assume now sense temp and voltage correctly.
    >
    > I appreciate your help. This group used to be much more active. Where
    > is everybody?
    > Dave
    >

    > On Sun, 22 May 2005 09:02:41 -0700, "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> All you can do is take the cooler off, clean it and remount it,
    >> making sure it's on firmly and correctly with new compound. You
    >> should monitor it's RPM to make sure the fan is not going bad. Also
    >> verify voltages to the cpu are not spiking. That could cause temps
    >> to spike accordingly. If all is correct then one can only assume
    >> sensor malfunction.
    >>
    >> DaveL
    >>

    >> "DaveH" <ddhartwick@IGIVEUPearthlink.net> wrote in message
    >>> Dave,
    >>> I should be clear in that it doesn't merely spike occasionally
    >>> around 60-70 C but pretty much stays up there. 65 C is a rough
    >>> average.
    >>>
    >>> It used to bounce around about 40 C, now it bounces around 65 C.
    >>> Do you still suspect my suspicion is correct?
    >>> Dave

  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    Graham,
    One would tend to intuit that if the actual temps were that high it
    would be reflected in the perceived warmth of the cooler. But without
    knowing the exact heat transfer characteristics of the Zalman--which
    is formidible--it's impossible to know for sure how it should feel to
    the touch even at very high temps.

    You would tend to think that it would feel distinctly warmer, but
    conceivably not.

    In any case--you are exactly right, I hate to even pull the cooler.
    The probability is high that I already have an efficient cpu/cooler
    interface (arctic silver) and removing the cooler for inspection would
    require re-establishing that--not an easy task.

    So my tendency is to leave it alone, but it's driving me nutz. I'd
    hate to have it fail and take the CPU with it, assuming something
    meaningful is actually failing.
    Dave

    On Sun, 22 May 2005 20:57:52 +0100, "Graham W"
    <graham@his.com.puter.INVALID> wrote:

    >DaveH
    >
    >If your 60ºC to 70ºC heatsink is only just warm to the touch then you've
    >fallen into the trap of 'if it ain't broke then fix it until it is!'
    >
    >LEAVE IT ALONE!
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    Sadly, the 4PDA2+ has a problem with monitoring software - mine own board
    can jump from a steady 46 degrees to 90+ and then back down to 60, then up
    again etc... Also, keep an eye on the Fans - Quite often the software says
    mine have stopped, even though they're still spinning as they should be!

    Here's a snippet from EPoX's excellent USDM software;

    My best advice? - Don't bother with the monitoring software!

    > Hmonitor shows V I/O bouncing around about 2.70 Volts, FWIW.
    >

    > On Sun, 22 May 2005 09:02:41 -0700, "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>All you can do is take the cooler off, clean it and remount it, making
    >>sure
    >>it's on firmly and correctly with new compound. You should monitor it's
    >>RPM
    >>to make sure the fan is not going bad. Also verify voltages to the cpu
    >>are
    >>not spiking. That could cause temps to spike accordingly. If all is
    >>correct then one can only assume sensor malfunction.
    >>
    >>DaveL
    >>

    >>"DaveH" <ddhartwick@IGIVEUPearthlink.net> wrote in message
    >>> Dave,
    >>> I should be clear in that it doesn't merely spike occasionally around
    >>> 60-70 C but pretty much stays up there. 65 C is a rough average.
    >>>
    >>> It used to bounce around about 40 C, now it bounces around 65 C.
    >>> Do you still suspect my suspicion is correct?
    >>> Dave

  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    Sadly, the 4PDA2+ has a problem with monitoring software - my own board
    can jump from a steady 46 degrees to 90+ and then back down to 60, then up
    again etc... Also, keep an eye on the Fans - Quite often the software says
    mine have stopped, even though they're still spinning as they should be!

    Here's a snippet from EPoX's excellent USDM software;

    25/05/2005 16:42:09 - Chassis FAN:2596, CPU FAN:2766, Power FAN:2678, CPU
    Temp:55, System Temp:35, Vagp:1504, VCore:1456, Vdimm:2704, +5V:4892,
    +12V:11856, -12V:12774, -5V:4998, Vbat:3216, 5VSB:4751, 1117035729
    25/05/2005 16:43:09 - Chassis FAN:2596, CPU FAN:2812, Power FAN:2721, CPU
    Temp:48, System Temp:36, Vagp:1504, VCore:1488, Vdimm:2688, +5V:4865,
    +12V:11916, -12V:12528, -5V:4948, Vbat:3168, 5VSB:4630, 1117035789
    25/05/2005 16:44:10 - Chassis FAN:2636, CPU FAN:2766, Power FAN:2721, CPU
    Temp:47, System Temp:35, Vagp:1504, VCore:1472, Vdimm:2672, +5V:4865,
    +12V:11916, -12V:12610, -5V:4948, Vbat:3184, 5VSB:4460, 1117035850
    25/05/2005 16:45:10 - Chassis FAN:2596, CPU FAN:2812, Power FAN:2721, CPU
    Temp:48, System Temp:36, Vagp:1504, VCore:1472, Vdimm:2720, +5V:4892,
    +12V:11916, -12V:12610, -5V:4948, Vbat:3120, 5VSB:4460, 1117035910
    25/05/2005 16:46:10 - Chassis FAN:2636, CPU FAN:2812, Power FAN:2721, CPU
    Temp:64, System Temp:35, Vagp:1504, VCore:1472, Vdimm:2688, +5V:4892,
    +12V:11856, -12V:12692, -5V:4998, Vbat:3184, 5VSB:4751, 1117035970

    As you can see, it's only been running for about 4 mins, and the CPU temp
    has been pretty random. If I'd left it longer, then it would have gone alot
    higher!!!

    My best advice? - Don't bother with the monitoring software!

    "DaveH" <ddhartwick@IGIVEUPearthlink.net> wrote in message
    > Hmonitor shows V I/O bouncing around about 2.70 Volts, FWIW.
    >

    > On Sun, 22 May 2005 09:02:41 -0700, "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>All you can do is take the cooler off, clean it and remount it, making
    >>sure
    >>it's on firmly and correctly with new compound. You should monitor it's
    >>RPM
    >>to make sure the fan is not going bad. Also verify voltages to the cpu
    >>are
    >>not spiking. That could cause temps to spike accordingly. If all is
    >>correct then one can only assume sensor malfunction.
    >>
    >>DaveL
    >>

    >>"DaveH" <ddhartwick@IGIVEUPearthlink.net> wrote in message
    >>> Dave,
    >>> I should be clear in that it doesn't merely spike occasionally around
    >>> 60-70 C but pretty much stays up there. 65 C is a rough average.
    >>>
    >>> It used to bounce around about 40 C, now it bounces around 65 C.
    >>> Do you still suspect my suspicion is correct?
    >>> Dave

  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    My crazy readings show up in BIOS too.
    Are you're bizarre readings showing up in BIOS?

    I don't know what to do with this thing. Epox tech has been useless.
    I guess I'll just leave it alone.
    Dave

    On Wed, 25 May 2005 16:48:57 +0100, "Craig" <newsspam@ntlworld.com>
    wrote:

    >Sadly, the 4PDA2+ has a problem with monitoring software - my own board
    >can jump from a steady 46 degrees to 90+ and then back down to 60, then up
    >again etc... Also, keep an eye on the Fans - Quite often the software says
    >mine have stopped, even though they're still spinning as they should be!
    >
    >Here's a snippet from EPoX's excellent USDM software;
    >
    >25/05/2005 16:42:09 - Chassis FAN:2596, CPU FAN:2766, Power FAN:2678, CPU
    >Temp:55, System Temp:35, Vagp:1504, VCore:1456, Vdimm:2704, +5V:4892,
    >+12V:11856, -12V:12774, -5V:4998, Vbat:3216, 5VSB:4751, 1117035729
    >25/05/2005 16:43:09 - Chassis FAN:2596, CPU FAN:2812, Power FAN:2721, CPU
    >Temp:48, System Temp:36, Vagp:1504, VCore:1488, Vdimm:2688, +5V:4865,
    >+12V:11916, -12V:12528, -5V:4948, Vbat:3168, 5VSB:4630, 1117035789
    >25/05/2005 16:44:10 - Chassis FAN:2636, CPU FAN:2766, Power FAN:2721, CPU
    >Temp:47, System Temp:35, Vagp:1504, VCore:1472, Vdimm:2672, +5V:4865,
    >+12V:11916, -12V:12610, -5V:4948, Vbat:3184, 5VSB:4460, 1117035850
    >25/05/2005 16:45:10 - Chassis FAN:2596, CPU FAN:2812, Power FAN:2721, CPU
    >Temp:48, System Temp:36, Vagp:1504, VCore:1472, Vdimm:2720, +5V:4892,
    >+12V:11916, -12V:12610, -5V:4948, Vbat:3120, 5VSB:4460, 1117035910
    >25/05/2005 16:46:10 - Chassis FAN:2636, CPU FAN:2812, Power FAN:2721, CPU
    >Temp:64, System Temp:35, Vagp:1504, VCore:1472, Vdimm:2688, +5V:4892,
    >+12V:11856, -12V:12692, -5V:4998, Vbat:3184, 5VSB:4751, 1117035970
    >
    >As you can see, it's only been running for about 4 mins, and the CPU temp
    >has been pretty random. If I'd left it longer, then it would have gone alot
    >higher!!!
    >
    >My best advice? - Don't bother with the monitoring software!
    >
    >"DaveH" <ddhartwick@IGIVEUPearthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> Hmonitor shows V I/O bouncing around about 2.70 Volts, FWIW.
    >>

    >> On Sun, 22 May 2005 09:02:41 -0700, "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>All you can do is take the cooler off, clean it and remount it, making
    >>>sure
    >>>it's on firmly and correctly with new compound. You should monitor it's
    >>>RPM
    >>>to make sure the fan is not going bad. Also verify voltages to the cpu
    >>>are
    >>>not spiking. That could cause temps to spike accordingly. If all is
    >>>correct then one can only assume sensor malfunction.
    >>>
    >>>DaveL
    >>>

    >>>"DaveH" <ddhartwick@IGIVEUPearthlink.net> wrote in message

  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    To tell you the truth, I don't even monitor temps any more. If it burns up,
    then so be it. It's a good excuse to upgrade.

    > My crazy readings show up in BIOS too.
    > Are you're bizarre readings showing up in BIOS?
    >
    > I don't know what to do with this thing. Epox tech has been useless.
    > I guess I'll just leave it alone.
    > Dave
    >

    > On Wed, 25 May 2005 16:48:57 +0100, "Craig" <newsspam@ntlworld.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Sadly, the 4PDA2+ has a problem with monitoring software - my own board
    >>can jump from a steady 46 degrees to 90+ and then back down to 60, then up
    >>again etc... Also, keep an eye on the Fans - Quite often the software says
    >>mine have stopped, even though they're still spinning as they should be!
    >>
    >>Here's a snippet from EPoX's excellent USDM software;
    >>
    >>25/05/2005 16:42:09 - Chassis FAN:2596, CPU FAN:2766, Power FAN:2678, CPU
    >>Temp:55, System Temp:35, Vagp:1504, VCore:1456, Vdimm:2704, +5V:4892,
    >>+12V:11856, -12V:12774, -5V:4998, Vbat:3216, 5VSB:4751, 1117035729
    >>25/05/2005 16:43:09 - Chassis FAN:2596, CPU FAN:2812, Power FAN:2721, CPU
    >>Temp:48, System Temp:36, Vagp:1504, VCore:1488, Vdimm:2688, +5V:4865,
    >>+12V:11916, -12V:12528, -5V:4948, Vbat:3168, 5VSB:4630, 1117035789
    >>25/05/2005 16:44:10 - Chassis FAN:2636, CPU FAN:2766, Power FAN:2721, CPU
    >>Temp:47, System Temp:35, Vagp:1504, VCore:1472, Vdimm:2672, +5V:4865,
    >>+12V:11916, -12V:12610, -5V:4948, Vbat:3184, 5VSB:4460, 1117035850
    >>25/05/2005 16:45:10 - Chassis FAN:2596, CPU FAN:2812, Power FAN:2721, CPU
    >>Temp:48, System Temp:36, Vagp:1504, VCore:1472, Vdimm:2720, +5V:4892,
    >>+12V:11916, -12V:12610, -5V:4948, Vbat:3120, 5VSB:4460, 1117035910
    >>25/05/2005 16:46:10 - Chassis FAN:2636, CPU FAN:2812, Power FAN:2721, CPU
    >>Temp:64, System Temp:35, Vagp:1504, VCore:1472, Vdimm:2688, +5V:4892,
    >>+12V:11856, -12V:12692, -5V:4998, Vbat:3184, 5VSB:4751, 1117035970
    >>
    >>As you can see, it's only been running for about 4 mins, and the CPU temp
    >>has been pretty random. If I'd left it longer, then it would have gone
    >>alot
    >>higher!!!
    >>
    >>My best advice? - Don't bother with the monitoring software!
    >>
    >>"DaveH" <ddhartwick@IGIVEUPearthlink.net> wrote in message
    >>> Hmonitor shows V I/O bouncing around about 2.70 Volts, FWIW.

  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    Sadly, these figures do show up in the BIOS too - it's a pity as the 4PDA2+
    is a great board in all other respects.

    I agree that you should just ignore it!

Epox CPUs Motherboards