Capcom's Arcade Hits Vol. 1

The versions of Street Fighter 1 on this capcom compilation for the PC is
supposed to be arcade perfect. I compared it to mame and oddly it's better
than the mame version which I though was suppose to be 'arcade perfect'.

Mike

Splendid

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 01:34:23 -0000, Alarost wrote:

> The versions of Street Fighter 1 on this capcom compilation for the PC is
> supposed to be arcade perfect. I compared it to mame and oddly it's better
> than the mame version which I though was suppose to be 'arcade perfect'.

What exactly do you mean by "better"?

Mike

Alarost <edsusedeianken@tvlobalssusse.net> wrote:
> The versions of Street Fighter 1 on this capcom compilation for the PC is
> supposed to be arcade perfect. I compared it to mame and oddly it's better
> than the mame version which I though was suppose to be 'arcade perfect'.

I bet, they are not _emulating_ it but remaking it to look as real as
possible... and yes, it may be 'better', in some way but I still
believe MAME versio is more 'arcade' perfect if it's even ever
possible.

--
- Tommi -

"Tommi Raulahti" <drdoom@modeemi.fi> wrote in message
> Alarost <edsusedeianken@tvlobalssusse.net> wrote:
> > The versions of Street Fighter 1 on this capcom compilation for the PC
is
> > supposed to be arcade perfect. I compared it to mame and oddly it's
better
> > than the mame version which I though was suppose to be 'arcade perfect'.
>
> I bet, they are not _emulating_ it but remaking it to look as real as
> possible... and yes, it may be 'better', in some way but I still
> believe MAME versio is more 'arcade' perfect if it's even ever
> possible.
>
> --
> - Tommi -

It says it is emulated and runs in native 384x224 or 640x480. Uses the
offical capcom rom, it has more animation frames than the Mame version and
is very difficult just like the arcade version. Mame is easy on hardest dip
switch setting by comparison.
It is strange as the other game in the pack, SF2:CE is EXACTLY the same as
in MAME

"Alarost" <edsusedeianken@tvlobalssusse.net> wrote in news:cttigh$la5$1
@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk:

> [Street Fighter 1] has more animation frames than the Mame version

If it's emulation, there's no way. If it's a rewrite and benefits from more
extensive animation, that's something else entirely.

Alarost wrote:

> Uses the
> offical capcom rom, it has more animation frames than the Mame version and
> is very difficult just like the arcade version.

What exactly do you mean by "more animation frames"?

I'd be interested to hear an opinion from someone who worked on the mame
emulation for this game. A lot of games have certain functionality driven
from vblank-derived interrupts - for example, updating sprites - because
there's simply no point doing it any more frequently (you'll never see it)
and you want to synchronise movement with the video monitor update. So
there'd be no way of squeezing out more frames (smoother animation) in such
a case.

If you're referring to enhanced graphics (ie. more cells of animation) then
it's not a simple emulation at all - the code would have to be patched to
cycle through more sprites in this case.

So forgive me if I'm sceptical about your observation in light of the claim
that it's an emulation of the arcade original.

> Mame is easy on hardest dip
> switch setting by comparison.

Again, I find this hard to fathom if it is indeed an emulation. If this were
indeed the case, it'd mean that the arcade hardware emulation in mame has
some serious timing emulation bugs, or perhaps sprite collision detection,
or maybe the input port emulation is more forgiving than the original.

Having said all that, I do admit that I find both Xevious and Juno First
more difficult in MAME than I ever did in the arcades. I have no idea why!

Regards,

--
| Mark McDougall | "Electrical Engineers do it
| <http://members.iinet.net.au/~msmcdoug> | with less resistance!"

sinner

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

* Mark McDougall wrote in alt.games.mame:

[...]

> Having said all that, I do admit that I find both Xevious and Juno First
> more difficult in MAME than I ever did in the arcades. I have no idea why!

Age ;)

--
David
All intelligent species own cats.

SINNER wrote:

>>Having said all that, I do admit that I find both Xevious and Juno First
>>more difficult in MAME than I ever did in the arcades. I have no idea why!
> Age ;)

Heh, interestingly - no!

Some years back I bought a cocktail cabinet (not my preferred type of
cabinet) with Xevious installed. I played a couple of games the day I got it
and got *much* further than I had been able to get playing dozens of games
in MAME!

Go figure!?!