I heard that dual channel memory is both good and not so good. One being
that it is faster than your normal set up, but the other not so good because
you have to have 2 of the same type of memory to work.

For example, I am looking at a mobo where the capacity is 4 gigs of RAM. If
I choose to install 512MB, does that mean I have to have (2) 256MB of ram,
not 1 single stick of 256 ram?

Not sure on this part.

curt

Yes. In order for 512mb to run in dual channel mode you must have (2) 256mb
modules installed in the first and third memory slots. Also it's best to use
a matched pair of memory modules.

--
Curt.

"Jack Carlson" <jack@email.com> wrote in message
>I heard that dual channel memory is both good and not so good. One being
> that it is faster than your normal set up, but the other not so good
> because
> you have to have 2 of the same type of memory to work.
>
> For example, I am looking at a mobo where the capacity is 4 gigs of RAM.
> If
> I choose to install 512MB, does that mean I have to have (2) 256MB of ram,
> not 1 single stick of 256 ram?
>
> Not sure on this part.

Jack,

You need two 256MB sticks of the same speed for dual channel if your board
supports dual channel.

From what I've read there is a very small performance boost from dual
channel and probably not worth the cost if you were to invest in one of the
'dual channel' kits pushed by many stick vendors.

I have two sticks of Kingston 256MB PC2700. Somewhere on the packing it
indicated that these were not for dual channel. However, I think all that
means is that these two sticks were not specifically matched and tested by
Kingston for dual channel. Again, from what I've read it isn't critical to
have 'matched' sticks as long as they are the same capacity and speed.

Wayne

"Jack Carlson" <jack@email.com> wrote in message
>I heard that dual channel memory is both good and not so good. One being
> that it is faster than your normal set up, but the other not so good
> because
> you have to have 2 of the same type of memory to work.
>
> For example, I am looking at a mobo where the capacity is 4 gigs of RAM.
> If
> I choose to install 512MB, does that mean I have to have (2) 256MB of ram,
> not 1 single stick of 256 ram?
>
> Not sure on this part.

TRENDING THREADS