I have an EPOX EP-8RDA+ MB and for the past couple of months the CPU temp
has been going up. It used to be at 49 degrees regulare and idle use and
now has climed up to 54 and sometimes 62 degrees. Everytime I set the temp
monitor systems to a certain degree it will eventually exceed it and the
alarm goes off. I then change the CPU max temp up a couple of degrees and
later on the alarm goes off again, etc etc. I don't know but it seems the
more fans I add inside the hotter its been getting. hmmm.

Hugh

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

Were into June now and ambient temps are climbing. Could that be the
reason?

DaveL

"F Sutherland" <fsutherland@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>I have an EPOX EP-8RDA+ MB and for the past couple of months the CPU temp
> has been going up. It used to be at 49 degrees regulare and idle use and
> now has climed up to 54 and sometimes 62 degrees. Everytime I set the
> temp
> monitor systems to a certain degree it will eventually exceed it and the
> alarm goes off. I then change the CPU max temp up a couple of degrees
> and
> later on the alarm goes off again, etc etc. I don't know but it seems the
> more fans I add inside the hotter its been getting. hmmm.
>
> Hugh

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 21:54:04 -0400, "F Sutherland"
<fsutherland@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>I have an EPOX EP-8RDA+ MB and for the past couple of months the CPU temp
>has been going up. It used to be at 49 degrees regulare and idle use and
>now has climed up to 54 and sometimes 62 degrees. Everytime I set the temp
>monitor systems to a certain degree it will eventually exceed it and the
>alarm goes off. I then change the CPU max temp up a couple of degrees and
>later on the alarm goes off again, etc etc. I don't know but it seems the
>more fans I add inside the hotter its been getting. hmmm.
>
>Hugh

Try cleaning out your cpu heat sink. I noticed the same thing in my
P4 (it went up about 15 degrees in the course of 2 months). I took
off the heat sink fan and found a lot of dust crammed in the heat sink
fins. I cleaned it out and to make sure this problem did not happen
again, I replaced it with a new heat sink- a swiftech heat sink
coupled with avariable speed fan (a thermal take 80mm smart fan II).

check out the heat sink: http://www.swiftnets.com/ (they have both AMD
and Intel versions)

the fan: http://www.thermaltake.com/dcfans/smartfan/a1357.htm

Since I have done this, I have yet to see the cpu go beyond
52 degrees C (with an Intel 3.2 Ghz processor, this is almost unheard
of), even when heavily taxed by a 3-d application. Most of the time,
it sits idle at 42 degrees C. In fact, I have even noticed at times
that the *ambient* system temperature was higher than the CPU
temperature (by as much as 5 degrees). WOW !!! I had never seen this
before !

This was not a cheap cooler, but it was worth it. I can guarantee the
next time I upgrade, I'll use a swiftech cooler.

Hope this helps....

Good Luck....

RoeKing
MCSE on Windows NT, MCSE on Windows 2000