memory problem

I just recently install new memory in my PC the memory is Avant Technology
256MB PC133, my PC reads it at 131mb, my PC uses PC100 or PC133 and after it
boots up and pass the XP logo screen it restarts can you tell me what the
problem or what am I doing wrong. I didn't change jumper setting or changed
anthing on the system, just put in the new memory.

Reggie

Did you replace a 256MB with 256 MB stick?

Go here:
http://www.memtest86.com/

I think you need to create a bootable Dos floppy and add the files from
memtest to it. Reboot from floppy and follow instructions. Others will
know for sure.

r.

"Reggie" <reggie_85@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I just recently install new memory in my PC the memory is Avant Technology
> 256MB PC133, my PC reads it at 131mb, my PC uses PC100 or PC133 and after
> it
> boots up and pass the XP logo screen it restarts can you tell me what the
> problem or what am I doing wrong. I didn't change jumper setting or
> changed
> anthing on the system, just put in the new memory.
>

> Reggie

If your computer (BIOS, I assume) is "reading" a 256MB stick of memory
"as 131mb", it is either not properly inserted or defective - probably
both, by now. XP does not run well with defective memory!

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 09:51:05 +0100, "Reggie" <reggie_85@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I just recently install new memory in my PC the memory is Avant Technology
>256MB PC133, my PC reads it at 131mb, my PC uses PC100 or PC133 and after it
>boots up and pass the XP logo screen it restarts can you tell me what the
>problem or what am I doing wrong. I didn't change jumper setting or changed
>anthing on the system, just put in the new memory.
>

>Reggie

Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the exchange.
Peter R. Fletcher

"Reggie" <reggie_85@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I just recently install new memory in my PC the memory is Avant Technology
>256MB PC133, my PC reads it at 131mb, my PC uses PC100 or PC133 and after it
>boots up and pass the XP logo screen it restarts can you tell me what the
>problem or what am I doing wrong. I didn't change jumper setting or changed
>anthing on the system, just put in the new memory.

You may have purchased the newer high density type (single sided)
PC133 SDRAM.

Older motherboards require the low density (double sided) PC133
modules and will only read half the capacity of the high density
modules - 128 mb or 131,072 kb in your case with a 256 mb high density
module.

The only fix is to replace the high density module with a low density
(double sided) one. These are harder to find and cost considerably
more than the high density modules. The last double sided PC133 RAM
I purchased (3 months ago) cost exactly double the price of the single
sided.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--