GeForce4 MX440 in Hiding

Im skimming through the newsgroups just in case in found the info i needed.
I did (part of it). I saw that everyone had problems installing their
graphics card driver, something I see as stressless. My problem, THE problem
is that I would have the card in the agp slot and XP will not "pick it up".
The thing about this is that the drivers for the card will not install unless
Windows detects the card, which it doesn't do. One of the people who had
left feedback to someone else had said that he uses PC Chips MotherB, just
like me. He gave web addresses for various drivers but just keep in mind
what my real problem is: XP will not detect the NVidia GeForce 4 440MX.

Hello,

Are you sure the card is working correctly? Does the fan on the card turn on
when you boot the computer? If so try looking around in your BIOS make sure
that is it allowing XP to see the card. Although if XP isn't picking it up
at all it would make me think that its a hardware problem.

Michael Ortega

"DigitalBIOS" <DigitalBIOS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Im skimming through the newsgroups just in case in found the info i
> needed.
> I did (part of it). I saw that everyone had problems installing their
> graphics card driver, something I see as stressless. My problem, THE
> problem
> is that I would have the card in the agp slot and XP will not "pick it
> up".
> The thing about this is that the drivers for the card will not install
> unless
> Windows detects the card, which it doesn't do. One of the people who had
> left feedback to someone else had said that he uses PC Chips MotherB, just
> like me. He gave web addresses for various drivers but just keep in mind
> what my real problem is: XP will not detect the NVidia GeForce 4 440MX.

The card doesn't have a fan...I guess its called a heat suppressor. And
yeah, I'm making the hardware (card itself) suspect for being a no show.
Thanks alot.

"Michael Ortega" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Are you sure the card is working correctly? Does the fan on the card turn on
> when you boot the computer? If so try looking around in your BIOS make sure
> that is it allowing XP to see the card. Although if XP isn't picking it up
> at all it would make me think that its a hardware problem.

> Michael Ortega
>
> "DigitalBIOS" <DigitalBIOS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Im skimming through the newsgroups just in case in found the info i
> > needed.
> > I did (part of it). I saw that everyone had problems installing their
> > graphics card driver, something I see as stressless. My problem, THE
> > problem
> > is that I would have the card in the agp slot and XP will not "pick it
> > up".
> > The thing about this is that the drivers for the card will not install
> > unless
> > Windows detects the card, which it doesn't do. One of the people who had
> > left feedback to someone else had said that he uses PC Chips MotherB, just
> > like me. He gave web addresses for various drivers but just keep in mind
> > what my real problem is: XP will not detect the NVidia GeForce 4 440MX.

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have a Nvidia Geforce 4 440 MX, XP never detects the card as a geforce.
When I first installed XP the card uses VGA drivers only, you have to use
the drivers from Nvidia's website and run the setup.

Neil

"DigitalBIOS" <DigitalBIOS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Im skimming through the newsgroups just in case in found the info i
> needed.
> I did (part of it). I saw that everyone had problems installing their
> graphics card driver, something I see as stressless. My problem, THE
> problem
> is that I would have the card in the agp slot and XP will not "pick it
> up".
> The thing about this is that the drivers for the card will not install
> unless
> Windows detects the card, which it doesn't do. One of the people who had
> left feedback to someone else had said that he uses PC Chips MotherB, just
> like me. He gave web addresses for various drivers but just keep in mind
> what my real problem is: XP will not detect the NVidia GeForce 4 440MX.

Yes...that's exactly what happens: XP uses some kind of standard vga display
driver. Now, if what you said is true, running the drivers from Nvidia's
website and running setup should already be done using the vga connection
with the card and not the MotherB's embedded vga jack, right?
I hope you get his one.
Thanks.

"neil" wrote:

> I have a Nvidia Geforce 4 440 MX, XP never detects the card as a geforce.
> When I first installed XP the card uses VGA drivers only, you have to use
> the drivers from Nvidia's website and run the setup.
>
> Neil
>
> "DigitalBIOS" <DigitalBIOS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Im skimming through the newsgroups just in case in found the info i
> > needed.
> > I did (part of it). I saw that everyone had problems installing their
> > graphics card driver, something I see as stressless. My problem, THE
> > problem
> > is that I would have the card in the agp slot and XP will not "pick it
> > up".
> > The thing about this is that the drivers for the card will not install
> > unless
> > Windows detects the card, which it doesn't do. One of the people who had
> > left feedback to someone else had said that he uses PC Chips MotherB, just
> > like me. He gave web addresses for various drivers but just keep in mind
> > what my real problem is: XP will not detect the NVidia GeForce 4 440MX.

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

With the video running off the Geforce card and XP using the standard VGA
drivers, run Nvidia's drivers from their website. After the install you
should be prompted to restart then the card is correctly identified in
device manager and you can reset the colour depth, resolution & refresh rate
as required.

Neil

> Yes...that's exactly what happens: XP uses some kind of standard vga
> display
> driver. Now, if what you said is true, running the drivers from Nvidia's
> website and running setup should already be done using the vga connection
> with the card and not the MotherB's embedded vga jack, right?
> I hope you get his one.
> Thanks.
>
> "neil" wrote:
>
>> I have a Nvidia Geforce 4 440 MX, XP never detects the card as a geforce.
>> When I first installed XP the card uses VGA drivers only, you have to use
>> the drivers from Nvidia's website and run the setup.
>>
>> Neil
>>
>> "DigitalBIOS" <DigitalBIOS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Im skimming through the newsgroups just in case in found the info i
>> > needed.
>> > I did (part of it). I saw that everyone had problems installing their
>> > graphics card driver, something I see as stressless. My problem, THE
>> > problem
>> > is that I would have the card in the agp slot and XP will not "pick it
>> > up".
>> > The thing about this is that the drivers for the card will not install
>> > unless
>> > Windows detects the card, which it doesn't do. One of the people who
>> > had
>> > left feedback to someone else had said that he uses PC Chips MotherB,
>> > just
>> > like me. He gave web addresses for various drivers but just keep in
>> > mind
>> > what my real problem is: XP will not detect the NVidia GeForce 4 440MX.

Hi again,
Your last reply gave a lot of insight on how it should be done. Now what
if there is no displaying information on the monitor when I hook it up with
the graphics card... this is where my problem lies. This problem spooks
me...I've been able to fix from minor to near harddrive wipeout situations on
my own, but this is just driving me nuts.
Again, thanks.
DigitalBIOS

"neil" wrote:

> With the video running off the Geforce card and XP using the standard VGA
> drivers, run Nvidia's drivers from their website. After the install you
> should be prompted to restart then the card is correctly identified in
> device manager and you can reset the colour depth, resolution & refresh rate
> as required.
>
> Neil
>
> "DigitalBIOS" <DigitalBIOS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yes...that's exactly what happens: XP uses some kind of standard vga
> > display
> > driver. Now, if what you said is true, running the drivers from Nvidia's
> > website and running setup should already be done using the vga connection
> > with the card and not the MotherB's embedded vga jack, right?
> > I hope you get his one.
> > Thanks.
> >
> > "neil" wrote:
> >
> >> I have a Nvidia Geforce 4 440 MX, XP never detects the card as a geforce.
> >> When I first installed XP the card uses VGA drivers only, you have to use
> >> the drivers from Nvidia's website and run the setup.
> >>
> >> Neil
> >>
> >> "DigitalBIOS" <DigitalBIOS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi, you don't make it easy do you.......
You may need to check in the bios to see if you need to disable the onboard
graphics. Check you motherboard book that might tell you. The bios is
usually accessed by pressing the DEL key during bootup (before the OS loads,
initial black screen) you will need to do this with the monitor plugged into
the onboard graphics.
Have a think about it first before you reset the bios, should go something
like this:
1. monitor plugged into onboard graphics
2. enter bios and set the bios to use a plug-in card
3. save bios and switch off
4. plug-in Geforce and connect monitor to card
5. switch on and you should see the bios load

I must say I thought most newish motherboards switched automatically, so
don't change setting you are not sure of. If you get it wrong you could end
up not able to see anything on the old or new graphics.
You should see the bios load on either onboard or graphics card that's
nothing to do with windows drivers, is it possible to try the card in
another PC.???

all the best
Neil (UK)