windows xp wont install - hal.dll / seagate / NTLDR

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003

i'm having trouble installing windows xp for the first time, but not sure if
its the seagate hard drive and its "diskwizard starter edition" setup
software, or the winXP pro install itself, or something else, causing the
problem.

with a new 160GB seagate HD as primary master, i boot from a DWSE boot CD,
which formats & partitions the drive - its more than 137GB so it installs
DDO and says it will be setup as 137GB but once windows is installed the
additional space can be recovered.

it also says:

do not install an OS CD-ROM or floppy at this time... when the system
reboots and the blue Ontrack banner appears press 'C' to install from CD-ROM

so i remove the DWSE CD, press Done then Exit and get this error:

Cannot load the file A:\COMMAND.COM
Insert correct disk and strike any key

what disk? its obviously expecting something but i dont know what. so i do
ctrL-ALT-DEL, press C to boot from cd-rom at the blue ontrack banner,
"insert bootable CD and press spacebar when ready" (as instructed). it
ignores me and still tries to boot from hard disk!

NTLDR is missing
Press CTRL-ALT_DEL to restart

why is it trying to boot from hard disk? why the error message? ignoring
this, i restart. this time some new text appears first (before the blue
banner)

boot from ATAPI CD-ROM
no emulation
press any key to boot from cD

so i use this and finally get into the WinXP pro install. all proceeds as
normal, till eventually it reboots itself, then a black screen, then:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
windows root\system32\hal.dll
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

so i followed the instructions in thisd MSKB article:
http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...kb;EN-US;314477

(option 2 bootcfg repair, option 3 expand, option 4 chkdsk in recovery
console)

but still the same issue.

has anybody got an experience of installing windows xp pro from cd when
using a seagate hard disk and its strange seagate disk wizard utility? any
help appreciated!

--
mail address in header is invalid
to reply use

You dont need the 3rd party software for installing xp,simply install xp cd,
boot to cd,recovery,press enter for password,then at cmd screen type:DiskPart
In DiskPart,delete the partition,create one,then press Esc Back in cmd type:
FORMAT C: /FS:ntfs When its thru type:EXIT XP should install auto,if it
doesnt
reboot to xp cd,select install xp.