Dual layer DVD Burner

What is the best Dual Layer DVD burner available?

--
Thank you,
Jim Brown

Messages checked for Viruses
with Norton Anti-Virus
5 answers Last reply
More about dual layer burner

    Plextor gets good reviews. I haven't got one, myself, so I can't give
    you a personal opinion on it.

    David

    Jim Brown wrote:

    > What is the best Dual Layer DVD burner available?

    Carey makes a good point. I've got a DL drive and refuse to buy DL
    media for it; too expensive!

    David

    David wrote:

    > Plextor gets good reviews. I haven't got one, myself, so I can't give
    > you a personal opinion on it.
    >

    > David
    >
    > Jim Brown wrote:
    >
    >> What is the best Dual Layer DVD burner available?

    Jim,

    I've read favorable comments about the NEC ND-3500A. I believe that it's not
    yet available in a retail package in the US, but it can be had in OEM form.
    (www.newegg.com has several colors.)

    My own drive is old Plextor PX-708A. It's not dual layer; I bought it when
    dual *format* (+/-) was less common, and 8X was rare. It is reliable enough
    in burning to 4X TDK DVD+R media at 8X that I haven't bothered experimenting
    with 8X certified media yet.

    Plextor has announced the PX-716A, which has similar specs to the NEC
    ND-3500A, including the same dual-layer speed (I don't believe they're the
    same drive: Plextor lists an 8 MB buffer, while the NEC has 2 MB. I've had
    no trouble with only having 2 MB in my PX-708A.) The PX-716A isn't yet
    available (it's due this month, according to www.plextor.com), but I expect
    that its price will be higher than the NEC drive. Plextor claims that it'll
    write at 16X on selected 8X media, which might allow you to recover some of
    the price differential. (The NEC may as well. I don't know.)

    As other posters have remarked, DVD+R DL media is *very* expensive at this
    time. I suppose that it might make sense to buy a DL drive in the
    expectation that prices will drop, to future-proof the purchase. I don't
    know how future-proof it might be: the fastest drives of which I am aware
    burn DL at 4X. You might suffer buyer's remorse if it goes up to 8X in four
    months.

    If you need a DVD burner now, the ND-3500A might be a good choice. It can be
    had for less than $80 US (including shipping) from Newegg. If you end up not
    having a long-term relationship with it, the pain of separation ought to be
    bearable.

    HTH.

    Bob Knowlden

    "Jim Brown" <jbrown15@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message
    > What is the best Dual Layer DVD burner available?
    >
    > --
    > Thank you,
    > Jim Brown
    >
    > Messages checked for Viruses
    > with Norton Anti-Virus

    If Plextor's 712-A dual layer is anything like it's 708-A, you couldn't go
    wrong there. But right now the biggest drawback with any DL burner is the
    cost of media. It's just to expensive.

    --
    Curt

    "Jim Brown" <jbrown15@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message
    > What is the best Dual Layer DVD burner available?
    >
    > --
    > Thank you,
    > Jim Brown
    >
    > Messages checked for Viruses
    > with Norton Anti-Virus

    Personally, I would recommend the NEC ND3500A especially if you are
    looking to save a little money. This drive is awesome and burns my 8x
    DVD+R's without a single problem. Haven't spent the money on Dual layer
    discs to test that part out, but for less than $70, I can't argue much.

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-152-031&depa=0

    -----
    Nathan McNulty

    Jim Brown wrote:
    > What is the best Dual Layer DVD burner available?

Hardware DVD Burner Microsoft Antivirus Windows XP Product