Upgrade question: mobo & CPU

I am upgrading from Celeron processor to Pentium 4 with a new motherboard. I
will be bringing the old hard drive along with my mouse, keyboard & monitor
to the new hardware.

When the time comes to finally boot up my new computer ... assuming I have
connected everything right, will my existing setting & files automatically
be recognized?

I am unsure of how things unfold after making a processor & mobo upgrade.

Please excuse the date & time error.

"Jack Carlson" <jack@email.com> wrote in message
> I am upgrading from Celeron processor to Pentium 4 with a new motherboard.
> will be bringing the old hard drive along with my mouse, keyboard &
monitor
> to the new hardware.
>
> When the time comes to finally boot up my new computer ... assuming I have
> connected everything right, will my existing setting & files automatically
> be recognized?
>
> I am unsure of how things unfold after making a processor & mobo upgrade.

Jack,

u search Google Groups on this, you'll get a really large number of hits.
One good resource is:

http://michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

"Changing a Motherboard or Moving a Hard Drive with XP Installed"

The short answer is that unless the new mainboard is nearly identical to the
old, it's unlikely that you'll be able to boot XP from an old system in the
new.

The minimal fix for that is to do a repair installation:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341

"How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP"

(The short version of that: on the new machine, go into the BIOS setup.
Don't let things go so far as to try to start XP. Change the boot device
order to boot from the CD drive. Boot from the XP CD, choose to install
rather than going to the repair console, and then choose to repair the
existing version of XP. Have the XP license code in hand. I forget whether
you must produce "qualifying media" if you're using an upgrade version to do
a repair install.)

It will be helpful if you have a retail version (full or upgrade) of XP. If
you have no XP CD, or you have a BIOS-locked OEM version, you may have to
buy a new copy of XP to go with the new hardware. If you have a generic OEM
license, Microsoft may decline to give you a code to activate it on a new
machine. (I've never seen the OEM license agreement, but I've read that it
limits installation to one machine, ever. That's one reason it's cheaper
than a full retail version.) Perhaps if you describe it as a repair rather
than an upgrade...

The repair install will retain most settings and installed applications, but
you may have to re-install some stuff. A backup is recommended, as for any
such major event. You will lose everything installed through Windows Update,
though. If you have a CD burner, this would be a good time to prepare a
version of the XP CD with SP2 "slipstreamed" onto it. (There have been few
updates since SP2, so doing a repair install with that would require few
additional downloads.)

HTH.

Bob Knowlden

Address scrambled. replace nkbob with bobkn.

>I am upgrading from Celeron processor to Pentium 4 with a new motherboard.
> will be bringing the old hard drive along with my mouse, keyboard &
> monitor
> to the new hardware.
>
> When the time comes to finally boot up my new computer ... assuming I have
> connected everything right, will my existing setting & files automatically
> be recognized?
>
> I am unsure of how things unfold after making a processor & mobo upgrade.

If the only change is the switch from the Celeron (478) to a
P4 (478), it might boot normally. If not, you will need to
do a repair install.

"Jack Carlson" <jack@email.com> wrote in message
|I am upgrading from Celeron processor to Pentium 4 with a
new motherboard. I
| will be bringing the old hard drive along with my mouse,
keyboard & monitor
| to the new hardware.
|
| When the time comes to finally boot up my new computer ...
assuming I have
| connected everything right, will my existing setting &
files automatically
| be recognized?
|
| I am unsure of how things unfold after making a processor
& mobo upgrade.

Hello

No, you can not just plug and go, my advice toyou, backup your
important data and do a clean install of Win XP, that's your best
option, or you can do a repair install see link below.

Do a repair install
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q315341&ID=KB;EN-US;Q315341

Alvin

Jack Carlson wrote:

> I am upgrading from Celeron processor to Pentium 4 with a new motherboard. I
> will be bringing the old hard drive along with my mouse, keyboard & monitor
> to the new hardware.
>
> When the time comes to finally boot up my new computer ... assuming I have
> connected everything right, will my existing setting & files automatically
> be recognized?
>
> I am unsure of how things unfold after making a processor & mobo upgrade.

bar

If you have an OEM edition of XP then it is contrary to the Terms and
Conditions of the Licence AGreement to Upgrade the Mobo and CPU without
obtaining a full retail version of XP.

It is possible to buy the XP Pro Upgrade Edition [or the Academic Edition of
this if you qualify] at less than the price of a Full Product Edition.

Secure in the knowledge that your use of XP on the new configuration is
legal, then you can perform a repair installation to set the system to the
new Mobo and CPU.

Boot up the PC with you XP installation CD inserted and make sure that you
have 'boot from CD' as an option in BIOS.

When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on
your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows
installations.

Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to
start the repair.

Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not
press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue
as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will
remain intact.

Worm warning: Do not immediately activate over the internet when asked,
enable the XP firewall before connecting to the internet. You can activate
after the firewall is enabled.

Do this by clicking on Control Panel - Network Connections. Right click the
connection you use, Properties, and there is a check box on the advanced
page.
Reapply updates or service packs applied since initial Windows XP
installation.

"Jack Carlson" wrote:

> Please excuse the date & time error.
>
> "Jack Carlson" <jack@email.com> wrote in message
> > I am upgrading from Celeron processor to Pentium 4 with a new motherboard.
> > will be bringing the old hard drive along with my mouse, keyboard &
> monitor
> > to the new hardware.
> >
> > When the time comes to finally boot up my new computer ... assuming I have
> > connected everything right, will my existing setting & files automatically
> > be recognized?
> >
> > I am unsure of how things unfold after making a processor & mobo upgrade.

papa

The best procedure is to first back up anything important, do a clean
install of XP, then restore the backed-up files.

Jack Carlson wrote:
> I am upgrading from Celeron processor to Pentium 4 with a new
> motherboard. I will be bringing the old hard drive along with my
> mouse, keyboard & monitor to the new hardware.
>
> When the time comes to finally boot up my new computer ... assuming
> have connected everything right, will my existing setting & files
> automatically be recognized?
>
> I am unsure of how things unfold after making a processor & mobo
> upgrade.

Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations
and licenses are not transferable to a new motherboard - check yours
before starting), unless the new motherboard is virtually identical
(same chipset, same IDE controllers, same BIOS version, etc.) to the
one on which the WinXP installation was originally performed, you'll
need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at
the very least:

The "why" is quite simple, really, and has nothing to do with
licensing issues, per se; it's a purely technical matter, at this
point. You've pulled the proverbial hardware rug out from under the
OS. (If you don't like -- or get -- the rug analogy, think of it as
picking up a Cape Cod style home and then setting it down onto a Ranch
style foundation. It just isn't going to fit.) WinXP, like Win2K
before it, is not nearly as "promiscuous" as Win9x when it comes to
accepting any old hardware configuration you throw at it. On
installation it "tailors" itself to the specific hardware found. This
is one of the reasons that the entire WinNT/2K/XP OS family is so much
more stable than the Win9x group.

important data before starting.

This will also probably require re-activation, unless you have a
Volume Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more
than 120 days since you last activated that specific Product Key,
you'll most likely be able to activate via the internet without
problem. If it's been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone
call.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: