ASUS CUV4X Motherboard OK for upgrade to XP?

ASUS CUV4X Socket 370FC-PGA. Its not on the Microsoft catalogue of
compatibile hardware, so is that why I can't manage to upgrade my system from
98SE to XP??? Any help gratefully read!

Kevo

bar

My understanding is that if it's not compatible one takes a huge risk on it
not working.

Given that it's you motherboard: it is not a risk one would generally accept.

"Kevo" wrote:

> ASUS CUV4X Socket 370FC-PGA. Its not on the Microsoft catalogue of
> compatibile hardware, so is that why I can't manage to upgrade my system from
> 98SE to XP??? Any help gratefully read!
>
> Kevo

Thanks - is it the case, then, that what is not in the catalogues is NOT
compatible?

"Kevo" <Kevo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> ASUS CUV4X Socket 370FC-PGA. Its not on the Microsoft catalogue of
> compatibile hardware, so is that why I can't manage to upgrade my system from
> 98SE to XP??? Any help gratefully read!

I've used XP with my CUV4X for about three years now.
Never any problems; smooth as glass.

-- Bob Day
http://bobday.vze.com

Bob,
You wrote

> I've used XP with my CUV4X for about three years now.
> Never any problems; smooth as glass.

That's great news, Bob - now at least I can eliminate 1 possibility. I've
been trying for about a week to effect an upgrade from 98se to xp, and during
an early phase of installation (preparation) I get a block, accompanied by
the Fatal Error message that the system cannot create a temporary folder.
That sounded to me like space, of which I actually have plenty (16GB), but
then I thought of hardware compatability. If the motherboard is OK from your
experience I'm not at all sure what else to do. I've removed all sorts of
software and hardware just to be on the safe side - still no joy.
Thanks for your reply anyway.
Kevo

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/sysreqs.mspx
Should work.....It did for me......CUSL2-C.....older than the V....

> Thanks - is it the case, then, that what is not in the catalogues is
> NOT
> compatible?
>
> "BAR" wrote:
>
>> My understanding is that if it's not compatible one takes a huge
>> risk on it
>> not working.
>>
>> Given that it's you motherboard: it is not a risk one would
>> generally accept.
>>
>> "Kevo" wrote:
>>
>> > ASUS CUV4X Socket 370FC-PGA. Its not on the Microsoft catalogue
>> > of
>> > compatibile hardware, so is that why I can't manage to upgrade my
>> > system from
>> > 98SE to XP??? Any help gratefully read!
>> >
>> > Kevo

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> Bob,
> You wrote
>
>> I've used XP with my CUV4X for about three years now.
>> Never any problems; smooth as glass.
>
> That's great news, Bob - now at least I can eliminate 1 possibility.
> I've
> been trying for about a week to effect an upgrade from 98se to xp,
> and during
> an early phase of installation (preparation) I get a block,
> accompanied by
> the Fatal Error message that the system cannot create a temporary
> folder.
> That sounded to me like space, of which I actually have plenty
> (16GB), but
> then I thought of hardware compatability. If the motherboard is OK
> from your
> experience I'm not at all sure what else to do. I've removed all
> sorts of
> software and hardware just to be on the safe side - still no joy.
> Thanks for your reply anyway.
> Kevo

Early on it writes files to a ramdisk. Use a ram tester to check for
bad RAM. _or_ an old driver has reserved space in memory
that XP needs to use. Sounds as if you have been working on
this for a while. I would back up all the personal data, write zeros
to the HDD and do a clean install.

A couple tips

i) Make sure your bios is up to date. Since at this point, Asus won't be
pushing out anymore bios updates for that motherboard, you might as well get
the very last beta version.

ii) You'd probably be better off doing a clean install.

Instructions to do this can be found here.

Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

"Kevo" <Kevo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Bob,
> You wrote
>
>> I've used XP with my CUV4X for about three years now.
>> Never any problems; smooth as glass.
>
> That's great news, Bob - now at least I can eliminate 1 possibility. I've
> been trying for about a week to effect an upgrade from 98se to xp, and
> during
> an early phase of installation (preparation) I get a block, accompanied by
> the Fatal Error message that the system cannot create a temporary folder.
> That sounded to me like space, of which I actually have plenty (16GB), but
> then I thought of hardware compatability. If the motherboard is OK from
> your
> experience I'm not at all sure what else to do. I've removed all sorts of
> software and hardware just to be on the safe side - still no joy.
> Thanks for your reply anyway.
> Kevo

TRENDING THREADS