EPOX 8rda+, can't boot with USB 2.0 hard drive on

When booting I can't have my USB 2.0 hard drives turned on or else i
get the message "invalid system disk, please replace". My system boots
fine if I leave the drives off and then turn them on once windows loads
(once the windows logo appears I can turn the drives on). On my other
computer that has an ASUS board there is no problem loading when the
external hard drives are on.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Andy

Check the boot order in BIOS setup.

On 12 Aug 2005 01:57:02 -0700, "zogger" <morganherzog@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>When booting I can't have my USB 2.0 hard drives turned on or else i
>get the message "invalid system disk, please replace". My system boots
>fine if I leave the drives off and then turn them on once windows loads
>(once the windows logo appears I can turn the drives on). On my other
>computer that has an ASUS board there is no problem loading when the
>external hard drives are on.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Thanks!

that's a good thought, however I've played around with the BIOS
settings quite a bit and nothing seems to solve the problem. My boot
order is

1. CD
2. Hard Drive
3. Disabled

"zogger" <morganherzog@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> that's a good thought, however I've played around with the BIOS
> settings quite a bit and nothing seems to solve the problem. My boot
> order is
>
> 1. CD
> 2. Hard Drive
> 3. Disabled

Try changing the order to boot from the HD first. My guess is that the
system is seeing the USB drive as a CD drive on boot and not finding an OS
there.

Hmmm, I have this board (latest BIOS) as well as a USB2.0 hard drive.
Fortunately I never have a problem with the machine trying to boot from the
USB2.0 drive. My boot sequence is:

1. floppy
2. CD
3. hard drive

In addition to that external hard drive, I have two internals on controller
1 and 2 opticals on controller 2. IIRC, there are options in the BIOS for
specifying which hard drive to boot from, as there are options to choose the
boot priority when you have more than one optical drive. So in addition to
setting boot sequence, you need to set boot priority for each type of drive.
Zogger may have a point -- so check those boot priority settings for each
drive type.

Good luck,

Margaret

zogger wrote:
> that's a good thought, however I've played around with the BIOS
> settings quite a bit and nothing seems to solve the problem. My boot
> order is
>
> 1. CD
> 2. Hard Drive
> 3. Disabled

Have a look at your voltage alarm settings in the BIOS. It could be
that the (slight) extra load of the active device is causing the voltage
to sag and crash the start-up sequence.

kdombaz

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
I have 9npa+ ultra
I don't know about what's different between two products but
All is well with my board but one issue
when I connect a USB2 storage device (JVC digi vid camera w/ 4GB internal minidisk) it failes to copy the vids clips at all. I had to reduce the usb2 speed to usb1.1 otherwise it just freezes. lots of other people having similar USB related problems and it's been going on a long time. Their tech support is hopeless.
On the plus side of things it oclocks like no other, stable than msi boards i had.

bwave

I love Epox boards, but the 8RDA series had MAJOR problems with blown caps. Look for bulging/oozing caps, bet you have a couple. They'll fix board for $17 i believe if you email support@epox.com