NVIDIA nForce4 SLi mobo

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
August 20, 2005 7:05:03 AM

I am trying to pick out an NVIDIA nForce4 SLi mobo, among various different mobo
manufacturers, for my next computer and am wondering if any users have either of
the Epox NVIDIA nForce4 SLi mobos and what they think of their mobo. Also what
is the difference between the EP-9NPAJ+SLI and the EP-9NPA+SLI other than the
price ? I see that the latter has Firewire where the former does not. Is there
any other difference ?
August 20, 2005 1:21:13 PM

Oops. Looks like Epox does not have the comparison chart for socket 939.
But the difference looks like EP-9NPA+SLI comes with two extra sata jacks
and firewire.

DaveL

"Edward Diener No Spam" <eldiener_no_spam_here@earthlink.net> wrote in
message news:z5xNe.308$I93.289@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>I am trying to pick out an NVIDIA nForce4 SLi mobo, among various different
>mobo manufacturers, for my next computer and am wondering if any users have
>either of the Epox NVIDIA nForce4 SLi mobos and what they think of their
>mobo. Also what is the difference between the EP-9NPAJ+SLI and the
>EP-9NPA+SLI other than the price ? I see that the latter has Firewire where
>the former does not. Is there any other difference ?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 20, 2005 9:07:12 PM

DaveL wrote:
> Oops. Looks like Epox does not have the comparison chart for socket
> 939. But the difference looks like EP-9NPA+SLI comes with two extra sata
> jacks and firewire.

Do you have user experience with either one ? I am looking for a reliable mobo
which will be useful for the near future, and also a company which supports
their product. My first home-built computer was with an Abit Socket A mobo and,
while it was a decent board with good flexibility, I have found Abit to be a
poor supporter of their customers, although the user base is very helpful. How
does Epox compare in this respect ?

> DaveL
>

> "Edward Diener No Spam" <eldiener_no_spam_here@earthlink.net> wrote in
> message news:z5xNe.308$I93.289@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>
>> I am trying to pick out an NVIDIA nForce4 SLi mobo, among various
>> different mobo manufacturers, for my next computer and am wondering if
>> any users have either of the Epox NVIDIA nForce4 SLi mobos and what
>> they think of their mobo. Also what is the difference between the
>> EP-9NPAJ+SLI and the EP-9NPA+SLI other than the price ? I see that the
>> latter has Firewire where the former does not. Is there any other
>> difference ?

Related resources
August 20, 2005 9:07:13 PM

I currently have two Epox 8RDA+ systems and they have always been flawless
in operation. I have also built three systems for people using the Epox
Nforce3 board called 8KDA3J. All boards are awesome. I also have
experience with building systems Asus, MSI, Abit, Biostar, Aopen and some
others I can't remember. I think Epox is the best. Asus and Abit are good
too but cost more and usually don't have the exact feature set I want. MSI
are quirky, Biostar is cheap junk and Aopen can't seem to write a decent
bios.

message news:4rJNe.7079$RZ2.3399@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> DaveL wrote:
>> Oops. Looks like Epox does not have the comparison chart for socket 939.
>> But the difference looks like EP-9NPA+SLI comes with two extra sata jacks
>> and firewire.
>
> Do you have user experience with either one ? I am looking for a reliable
> mobo which will be useful for the near future, and also a company which
> supports their product. My first home-built computer was with an Abit
> Socket A mobo and, while it was a decent board with good flexibility, I
> have found Abit to be a poor supporter of their customers, although the
> user base is very helpful. How does Epox compare in this respect ?
>

>> DaveL
>>

>> "Edward Diener No Spam" <eldiener_no_spam_here@earthlink.net> wrote in
>> message news:z5xNe.308$I93.289@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>>
>>> I am trying to pick out an NVIDIA nForce4 SLi mobo, among various
>>> different mobo manufacturers, for my next computer and am wondering if
>>> any users have either of the Epox NVIDIA nForce4 SLi mobos and what they
>>> think of their mobo. Also what is the difference between the
>>> EP-9NPAJ+SLI and the EP-9NPA+SLI other than the price ? I see that the
>>> latter has Firewire where the former does not. Is there any other
>>> difference ?

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 20, 2005 11:26:59 PM

DaveL wrote:
> I currently have two Epox 8RDA+ systems and they have always been
> flawless in operation. I have also built three systems for people using
> the Epox Nforce3 board called 8KDA3J. All boards are awesome. I also
> have experience with building systems Asus, MSI, Abit, Biostar, Aopen
> and some others I can't remember. I think Epox is the best. Asus and
> Abit are good too but cost more and usually don't have the exact feature
> set I want. MSI are quirky, Biostar is cheap junk and Aopen can't seem
> to write a decent bios.

Thanks for the good comments about Epox. I will take the fewer posts on this NG
than other mobo company's NGs as a sign that Epox users have less problems than
others, and that Epox is a supportive company.

> DaveL
>

> "Edward Diener No Spam" <eldiener_no_spam_here@earthlink.net> wrote in
> message news:4rJNe.7079$RZ2.3399@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>
>> DaveL wrote:
>>
>>> Oops. Looks like Epox does not have the comparison chart for socket
>>> 939. But the difference looks like EP-9NPA+SLI comes with two extra
>>> sata jacks and firewire.
>>

>> Do you have user experience with either one ? I am looking for a
>> reliable mobo which will be useful for the near future, and also a
>> company which supports their product. My first home-built computer was
>> with an Abit Socket A mobo and, while it was a decent board with good
>> flexibility, I have found Abit to be a poor supporter of their
>> customers, although the user base is very helpful. How does Epox
>> compare in this respect ?
>>

>>> DaveL
>>>

>>> "Edward Diener No Spam" <eldiener_no_spam_here@earthlink.net> wrote
>>> in message news:z5xNe.308$I93.289@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 22, 2005 12:34:30 PM

I have experience with all the boards you mention (except AOpen), and all I
can say is you nailed each one of those manufacturers! :-) Epox is simply
fantastic.

Regards,

Margaret

"DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I currently have two Epox 8RDA+ systems and they have always been flawless
>in operation. I have also built three systems for people using the Epox
>Nforce3 board called 8KDA3J. All boards are awesome. I also have
>experience with building systems Asus, MSI, Abit, Biostar, Aopen and some
>others I can't remember. I think Epox is the best. Asus and Abit are good
>too but cost more and usually don't have the exact feature set I want. MSI
>are quirky, Biostar is cheap junk and Aopen can't seem to write a decent
>bios.
>
> DaveL
>

> "Edward Diener No Spam" <eldiener_no_spam_here@earthlink.net> wrote in
> message news:4rJNe.7079$RZ2.3399@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>> DaveL wrote:
>>> Oops. Looks like Epox does not have the comparison chart for socket
>>> 939. But the difference looks like EP-9NPA+SLI comes with two extra sata
>>> jacks and firewire.
>>
>> Do you have user experience with either one ? I am looking for a reliable
>> mobo which will be useful for the near future, and also a company which
>> supports their product. My first home-built computer was with an Abit
>> Socket A mobo and, while it was a decent board with good flexibility, I
>> have found Abit to be a poor supporter of their customers, although the
>> user base is very helpful. How does Epox compare in this respect ?
>>

>>> DaveL
>>>

>>> "Edward Diener No Spam" <eldiener_no_spam_here@earthlink.net> wrote in
>>> message news:z5xNe.308$I93.289@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 28, 2005 6:36:46 AM

Edward Diener No Spam wrote:
> DaveL wrote:
>> I currently have two Epox 8RDA+ systems and they have always been
>> flawless in operation. I have also built three systems for people using
>> the Epox Nforce3 board called 8KDA3J. All boards are awesome. I also
>> have experience with building systems Asus, MSI, Abit, Biostar, Aopen
>> and some others I can't remember. I think Epox is the best. Asus and
>> Abit are good too but cost more and usually don't have the exact feature
>> set I want. MSI are quirky, Biostar is cheap junk and Aopen can't seem
>> to write a decent bios.
>
> Thanks for the good comments about Epox. I will take the fewer posts on this NG
> than other mobo company's NGs as a sign that Epox users have less problems than
> others, and that Epox is a supportive company.
>
>> DaveL
>>

>> "Edward Diener No Spam" <eldiener_no_spam_here@earthlink.net> wrote in
>> message news:4rJNe.7079$RZ2.3399@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...

>>> Do you have user experience with either one ? I am looking for a
>>> reliable mobo which will be useful for the near future, and also a
>>> company which supports their product. My first home-built computer was
>>> with an Abit Socket A mobo and, while it was a decent board with good
>>> flexibility, I have found Abit to be a poor supporter of their
>>> customers, although the user base is very helpful. How does Epox
>>> compare in this respect ?

If you want to see more about epox boards check out
http://www.aoaforums.com/forum they have an epox message section that
has epox tech support logging in and answering questions.

- --
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

?To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that
we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only
unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American
public.? [Theodore Roosevelt] 1918

Adolph & Sharon Weidanz SuSE 9.2
'78 43' Endeavour Ketch Folding@Home Team 45
S/V Time To Paws
October 25, 2006 3:55:20 PM

I have built with Epox and Gigabyte for all of my 20 years--Had one Aopen product(never again) and a DFI that wasn't bad but Epox and Gigabyte have always been my favorites. Gigabyte was my favorite for quite awhile because Epox prices were a bit higher for the same hardware capabilities and for the longest time they insisted on using VIA usb controllers (which used to be crap but may be fixed as of this writing). I have a friend that used to sell computer parts and he said he won't use epox because he saw a lot of returns.....well that doesn't mean anything... he could have seen returns because the people putting the machines together were dummies and no other reason. I gave him an old KT133 based slot A 650 that I had that was just taking up space and he told me during the same conversation what a dependable little box it was.....then I reminded him it had an Epox board in it.....was funny watching him trip over his lip.

I've got a 8NPASLI (socket 754 no firewire 2 pcie x1 besides the two pcie x16) and just bought a 9NPA+SLI (socket 939 firewire and 6 SATA ports but only one pcie x1 besides the 2 pcie x16). The 8NPA was up and running great till I got the upgrade fever and now it's currently ill--probably mostly my own stupidity but normally I can trouble shoot stuff myself and I haven't been able to get it back going again. I've been writing to epox about it and I have to tell you I don't know of any other company that returns support emails the same day you send them. In fact if I email them during working hours I've been getting answers back within 2 hours. I think I trashed the bios on this board and they sent me another bios chip no hassles no shipping fee. (Course I'm starting to suspect the bios they sent me may be bad too, just can't find anything else that could be the issue).

Epox has a few problems with techs that don't speak english as a first language but don't they all these days? I'm always impressed at what comes in the box with the epox products. The last three of their boards I bought came with a very handy magnetized pocket screwdriver, a round 40 pin IDE cable and two/three SATA cables and power adapters, someone I know just got a Gigabyte board and it didn't come with the SATA power adapters and only one SATA cable. These days their prices are comparable with everyone else and they don't short shift their bios settings like some companies do (mostly to keep stupid people from playing with stuff they don't understand but sometimes those extra settings can be a life saver). Three of the five fully functional machines I have at this time all have Epox boards. I really like them and they are generally very dependable and easy to upgrade, this 8NPASLI problem has been the vexing exception and I'm almost to the point with them that I think they should stop farting around and send me an RMA, I've done more than my share of troubleshooting and swapping components on this thing and it still doesn't run.

The lesson I've learned with the SLI stuff is avoid the software SLI solutions, they either don't work on a lot of boards or are very picky, stick with hardware SLI and you might also want to avoid PNY video cards or anything that seems to be bargain priced because they're probably a bargain for a very good reason, like they don't work right or well on a lot of boards. I just invested in a pair of ASUS video cards with the hardware connectors for the SLI, I'm hoping I'll do better with those than the pair of PNY 6600's with the software SLI.
!