I am running WinXP and when I attempt to add hardware using the wizard, I
receive a message that the installer is already running and cannot add
additional hardware until it has completed installing. When I go to task
manager after clicking on the wizard, the intaller is running. Before
clicking on the wizard task manager does not show it running.

Any advice on getting this to install new hardware. I am trying to get a USB
memory stick to work. The driver is already on the computer.

Thanks.

Hello,

If your using XP and your just trying to get a USB memory stick to install,
you dont actually have to do anything. Just plug it and in a few seconds XP
will automatically install the proper drivers for it. Then you can open up
My Computer and you will see your memory stick there under Removable Disk
Driver(or something to that nature).

Michael Ortega

"Lloyd Goldberg" <lloydg@americamail.com> wrote in message
>I am running WinXP and when I attempt to add hardware using the wizard, I
>receive a message that the installer is already running and cannot add
>additional hardware until it has completed installing. When I go to task
>manager after clicking on the wizard, the intaller is running. Before
>clicking on the wizard task manager does not show it running.
>
> Any advice on getting this to install new hardware. I am trying to get a
> USB memory stick to work. The driver is already on the computer.
>
> Thanks.

Unfortunately that's not the case this time. After waiting, the message pops
up that the hardware installer is busy installing another piece of hardware
and I should wait until that is done before attempting to install this one.

"Michael Ortega" <randomjunkmail@astyrrian.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> If your using XP and your just trying to get a USB memory stick to
> install, you dont actually have to do anything. Just plug it and in a few
> seconds XP will automatically install the proper drivers for it. Then you
> can open up My Computer and you will see your memory stick there under
> Removable Disk Driver(or something to that nature).

> Michael Ortega
>
> "Lloyd Goldberg" <lloydg@americamail.com> wrote in message
>>I am running WinXP and when I attempt to add hardware using the wizard, I
>>receive a message that the installer is already running and cannot add
>>additional hardware until it has completed installing. When I go to task
>>manager after clicking on the wizard, the intaller is running. Before
>>clicking on the wizard task manager does not show it running.
>>
>> Any advice on getting this to install new hardware. I am trying to get a
>> USB memory stick to work. The driver is already on the computer.
>>
>> Thanks.

Hello,

Interesting..... Open up device manager, do you see any yellow bubbles with
a "?" in them? If so what do they say and where are they in the tree of
devices?

to get to task manager: press winkey + pause break > click the Hardware tab

> Unfortunately that's not the case this time. After waiting, the message
> pops
> up that the hardware installer is busy installing another piece of
> hardware
> and I should wait until that is done before attempting to install this
> one.
>

> "Michael Ortega" <randomjunkmail@astyrrian.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> If your using XP and your just trying to get a USB memory stick to
>> install, you dont actually have to do anything. Just plug it and in a
>> few seconds XP will automatically install the proper drivers for it.
>> Then you can open up My Computer and you will see your memory stick there
>> under Removable Disk Driver(or something to that nature).
>>
>> --
>> Michael Ortega
>>
>> "Lloyd Goldberg" <lloydg@americamail.com> wrote in message
>>>I am running WinXP and when I attempt to add hardware using the wizard, I
>>>receive a message that the installer is already running and cannot add
>>>additional hardware until it has completed installing. When I go to task
>>>manager after clicking on the wizard, the intaller is running. Before
>>>clicking on the wizard task manager does not show it running.
>>>
>>> Any advice on getting this to install new hardware. I am trying to get a
>>> USB memory stick to work. The driver is already on the computer.
>>>
>>> Thanks.

Yes,

There is a yellow question mark with a circle and exclamation point in it
for the PCI to CARDBUS Bridge. There are two of them in the "Other Devices"
category.

> Hello,
>
> Interesting..... Open up device manager, do you see any yellow bubbles
> with a "?" in them? If so what do they say and where are they in the tree
> of devices?
>
> to get to task manager: press winkey + pause break > click the Hardware
> tab
> > then Device Manager

> Michael Ortega
>
> "Lloyd Goldberg" <lloydg@americamail.com> wrote in message
>> Unfortunately that's not the case this time. After waiting, the message
>> pops
>> up that the hardware installer is busy installing another piece of
>> hardware
>> and I should wait until that is done before attempting to install this
>> one.
>>

>> "Michael Ortega" <randomjunkmail@astyrrian.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> If your using XP and your just trying to get a USB memory stick to
>>> install, you dont actually have to do anything. Just plug it and in a
>>> few seconds XP will automatically install the proper drivers for it.
>>> Then you can open up My Computer and you will see your memory stick
>>> there under Removable Disk Driver(or something to that nature).
>>>
>>> --
>>> Michael Ortega
>>>
>>> "Lloyd Goldberg" <lloydg@americamail.com> wrote in message

Additional info:

I let windows search for a proper driver for the PCI Cardbus Bridge and it
added a PMCIA adapter. However, even after uninstalling both PCI to Cardbus
Bridge incidents listed in the Other devices, one of these comes back as
soon as I reboot. After the uninstall, but before rebooting, I tried the
add hardware wizard. It still tells me it is busy installing other
equipment.

> Yes,
>
> There is a yellow question mark with a circle and exclamation point in it
> for the PCI to CARDBUS Bridge. There are two of them in the "Other
> Devices" category.
>

> "Michael Ortega" <randomjunkmail@astyrrian.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> Interesting..... Open up device manager, do you see any yellow bubbles
>> with a "?" in them? If so what do they say and where are they in the tree
>> of devices?
>>
>> to get to task manager: press winkey + pause break > click the Hardware
>> tab
>> > then Device Manager
>>
>> --
>> Michael Ortega
>>
>> "Lloyd Goldberg" <lloydg@americamail.com> wrote in message
>>> Unfortunately that's not the case this time. After waiting, the message
>>> pops
>>> up that the hardware installer is busy installing another piece of
>>> hardware
>>> and I should wait until that is done before attempting to install this
>>> one.
>>>

>>> "Michael Ortega" <randomjunkmail@astyrrian.com> wrote in message

OK...one more try...I let windows search for a driver for the other question
mark with an exclamation point and let it install another proper PCI
controller. Now when I open the device manager there are no question marks.

However, after rebooting, the Add Hardware still reports that another device
is being installed and that I must wait until it has completed that before
launching the wizard.

Still not working.