You can have three games , what do you choose?

Ok , wonderful as MAME is , not all games are playable properly on a
standard two joystick cabinet , and adding more buttons , sticks and
spinners may not be an option.

Imagine you have room for three more cabinets and want to get some "proper"
arcade machines to fill a few of the gaps that MAME doesn't quite do.

What would you pick , and why?

I'm in just such a situation and while I have a few ideas I'd like to hear
what you think.
I've got myself a very good condition Roadblasters machine this week which
just needs a couple of minor things sorting out before I'm completely happy
with it. [1]

Second space is probably going to be a 4 player Gauntlet I or II , whichever
comes up first , as it's great for social gaming with beer and friends. [2]

The third space I'm not yet sure about.
I'd *like* a star wars cab but I don't think I'd end up playing it that much
and good condition ones cost too much so that may not be the best choice.

[1] the thumb buttons dont work , the marquee light is out , and the colours
on the monitor aren't great. The first two I can sort but the monitor might
need swapping. The CP and sideart are all very good though and it came with
all the original manuals and keys in mint condition which would be much
harder to replace.

[2] If I find an empty cab then that could replace my current mame machine
leaving space for two more real games instead of the one.
--
Alex

Hermes: "We can't afford that! Especially not Zoidberg!"
Zoidberg: "They took away my credit cards!"

www.drzoidberg.co.uk
www.sffh.co.uk
www.ebayfaq.co.uk

Dr Zoidberg wrote:

> Imagine you have room for three more cabinets and want to get some "proper"
> arcade machines to fill a few of the gaps that MAME doesn't quite do.
>
> What would you pick , and why?

Mame has every game I care about except one, so I'd get a Taito's Ice
Cold Beer Cabinet.
--
FSogol

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
> Ok , wonderful as MAME is , not all games are playable properly on a
> standard two joystick cabinet , and adding more buttons , sticks and
> spinners may not be an option.
>
> Imagine you have room for three more cabinets and want to get some "proper"
> arcade machines to fill a few of the gaps that MAME doesn't quite do.
>
> What would you pick , and why?

Metal Slug X (Addicted to it)
Mortal Kombat 3 (Favorite game)
Bubble Bobble (Old school favorite game)

--
Super Mike
"Mi asno querría un enano y un yate, por favor."

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

My list is based on what games really need the proper controls and have
cabinets worthy of a dedicated spot.

For MAME, my list is (these are general cabs setup to play certain genres or
screen orientations, types)

Williams Mame - Retro Cab with MW cp (have) - It actually works quite well
for alot of games
Fighter Mame - 2player fighter cab, just got the cab project in the works
Driving Mame - nuff said
Vertical Mame - 1942 is long gone but they still keep comming! Setup for
vertical orientation
Vector Mame - ZVG baby! My xy mon is enroute as we speak...

For your question, these are the others that have specialized controls and
I would love to have in the collection eventually. I put the top three at
the head of the line, mostly as they are the most fun that would NOT be
properly treated via above MAME cabs;

Front Line - Totally unique controls and fun game
Spy Hunter - Cool cab, special controls (OR) Road Blasters - I'm jealous
Turkey Shoot - too cool, could play for hours

others

Spy Hunter - Cool cab, special controls (OR) Road Blasters - I'm jealous
[Whichever didn't get scooped up for the above list]
Warrior - Yea right, but wow what a great cabinet
Exidy Death Race - Again, wayyyy cool cabinet
Battlezone - Special controls, cab = coolness
Stargate - Yes even with the MW / Retro Mame - This and Defender ate my
childhood
Star Wars - The cab is king
Marble Madness - I have a love / hate thing with this cab

James wrote:

> For your question, these are the others that have specialized
> controls and I would love to have in the collection eventually. I
> put the top three at the head of the line, mostly as they are the
> most fun that would NOT be properly treated via above MAME cabs;
>
> Front Line - Totally unique controls and fun game

Interesting , never seen one of those.

> Spy Hunter - Cool cab, special controls (OR) Road Blasters - I'm
> jealous

Yep , spy hunter would be nice.

>Turkey Shoot - too cool, could play for hours

Again , not one that I've seen in the flesh.

> Battlezone - Special controls, cab = coolness
> Star Wars - The cab is king

Both very cool indeed.

> Marble Madness - I have a love / hate thing with this cab

As my Roadblasters is a System 1 cab there is always the chance I could find
a Marble Madness board and control set.
Fingers crossed.
--
Alex

Hermes: "We can't afford that! Especially not Zoidberg!"
Zoidberg: "They took away my credit cards!"

www.drzoidberg.co.uk
www.sffh.co.uk
www.ebayfaq.co.uk

3 games, hmmmm??

i would have to say because of control panels.......and as far as classics
go:

Star Wars - yoke and my favorite

720 - no other joystick like this and great game

Crossbow - old gun classic favorite of mine!!

"Dr Zoidberg" <AlexNOOOOO!!!!@drzoidberg.co.uk> wrote in message
> Ok , wonderful as MAME is , not all games are playable properly on a
> standard two joystick cabinet , and adding more buttons , sticks and
> spinners may not be an option.
>
> Imagine you have room for three more cabinets and want to get some
> "proper" arcade machines to fill a few of the gaps that MAME doesn't quite
> do.
>
> What would you pick , and why?
>
> I'm in just such a situation and while I have a few ideas I'd like to hear
> what you think.
> I've got myself a very good condition Roadblasters machine this week which
> just needs a couple of minor things sorting out before I'm completely
> happy with it. [1]
>
> Second space is probably going to be a 4 player Gauntlet I or II ,
> whichever comes up first , as it's great for social gaming with beer and
> friends. [2]
>
> The third space I'm not yet sure about.
> I'd *like* a star wars cab but I don't think I'd end up playing it that
> much and good condition ones cost too much so that may not be the best
> choice.
>

> [1] the thumb buttons dont work , the marquee light is out , and the
> colours on the monitor aren't great. The first two I can sort but the
> monitor might need swapping. The CP and sideart are all very good though
> and it came with all the original manuals and keys in mint condition which
> would be much harder to replace.
>
> [2] If I find an empty cab then that could replace my current mame machine
> leaving space for two more real games instead of the one.
> --
> Alex
>
> Hermes: "We can't afford that! Especially not Zoidberg!"
> Zoidberg: "They took away my credit cards!"
>
> www.drzoidberg.co.uk
> www.sffh.co.uk
> www.ebayfaq.co.uk

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 19:40:48 -0000, "Dr Zoidberg"
<AlexNOOOOO!!!!@drzoidberg.co.uk> wrote:

>Ok , wonderful as MAME is , not all games are playable properly on a
>standard two joystick cabinet , and adding more buttons , sticks and
>spinners may not be an option.
>
>Imagine you have room for three more cabinets and want to get some "proper"
>arcade machines to fill a few of the gaps that MAME doesn't quite do.
>
>What would you pick , and why?
>
>I'm in just such a situation and while I have a few ideas I'd like to hear
>what you think.
>I've got myself a very good condition Roadblasters machine this week which
>just needs a couple of minor things sorting out before I'm completely happy
>with it. [1]
<snip>

Only three?!?! Jeez. Well not my top three just games I really enjoy
or have good memories of.

Ninja Warriors - Full 3 monitor version (with sound turned up to pain
threshold).

Smash TV. - Many happy memories of banging pound coins into an arcade
in Matlock (Derbyshire, UK) every Sunday.

Time Crisis. Well why not?

Point Blank. So much fun at the cinema against a friend before the
film starts.

Ikari warriors. Mainly because it's so hard to play on a conventional
PC setup and lots of the time the arcade machines had damaged
joysticks.

Star Wars. Ofcourse.

Elevator Action, Jungle Hunt,DigDug Time Pilot, Pacland. So young at
the time, so many good memories (especially Elevator action as the
arcade had a really good ice cream sundae place right next door).

Tron. Occupied my time after playing squash for many a year.

Paperboy. Nuff said.

720. Well it's like narly dudes. Or something.

Gauntlet. Unique (if rather dull).

Final Fight. Probably the best Capcom scrolling fighter. IMHO.

I couldn't possibly choose a favourite 3. Some are great games, some
remind me of great times (even if the games weren't up to much) and
some are just groundbreaking.

[FX : Wanders off smoking a pipe dreaming about the good old days]

Wavey.

Dr Zoidberg wrote:

> Imagine you have room for three more cabinets and want to get some "proper"
> arcade machines to fill a few of the gaps that MAME doesn't quite do.
>
> What would you pick , and why?

1. Xybots - rotating joystick
2. Star Wars - yoke
3. Arkanoid (spinner) or Centipede/Marble Madness/Missile Command (trackball)

BTW have you seen the cabinet with the 3-way control panel that rotates into
place? Absolutely brilliant design!!!

Regards,

--

Mark McDougall wrote:
> Dr Zoidberg wrote:
>
>> Imagine you have room for three more cabinets and want to get some
>> "proper" arcade machines to fill a few of the gaps that MAME doesn't
>> quite do. What would you pick , and why?
>
> 1. Xybots - rotating joystick

I've thought about getting a rotating stick for my main Mame cab so that I
can play Ikari warriors and the like.

> 2. Star Wars - yoke

Of course.

> 3. Arkanoid (spinner) or Centipede/Marble Madness/Missile Command
> (trackball)

I have a trackball on my main cab (only a small one though) so I'd be
reluctant to give up one of the three spaces for one of those games.

> BTW have you seen the cabinet with the 3-way control panel that
> rotates into place? Absolutely brilliant design!!!

Yes , very clever engineering indeed.
--

-----8<-----

> BTW have you seen the cabinet with the 3-way control panel that rotates
> into place? Absolutely brilliant design!!!
>
> Regards,

I haven't seen that one yet. Do you have a link?

Thnik about it!
Dead_Dad

sinner

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

* Dead_Dad wrote in alt.games.mame:
> Mark McDougall wrote:
>> Dr Zoidberg wrote:

> -----8<-----

>> BTW have you seen the cabinet with the 3-way control panel that rotates
>> into place? Absolutely brilliant design!!!

> I haven't seen that one yet. Do you have a link?

Here is the Rotating 6 sided one:

http://www.homestead.com/xiaou2/arcade.html
--
David
I am two with nature.

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Here is the original 3 way rotating cab -

http://1uparcade.robandmitsue.com/archive.html

And the same builder's new commercial effort - http://www.1uparcade.com/

"Dead_Dad" <"s-p-a-m-t-r-a-p-0-0-7-"@-y-a-h-o-o-.-c-o-m> wrote in message
> Mark McDougall wrote:
> > Dr Zoidberg wrote:
>
> -----8<-----
>
> > BTW have you seen the cabinet with the 3-way control panel that rotates
> > into place? Absolutely brilliant design!!!
> >
> > Regards,
> >

> I haven't seen that one yet. Do you have a link?
>
> Thnik about it!
> Dead_Dad

T-Mek
Time-Crisis (any of them)
House of the Dead (any)
Terminator 2

I know that's four.

J. W. McCall

Dead_Dad wrote:

> I haven't seen that one yet. Do you have a link?

<http://arcade.tomvanhorn.com/>

Not sure if this is the original link I saw, but this guy has built one as
well. Couldn't find a good picture on his site (only had a quick look) but
his animated banner illustrates the concept quite nicely!

Regards,

--
| Mark McDougall | "Electrical Engineers do it
| <http://members.iinet.net.au/~msmcdoug> | with less resistance!"

"Wavey Dragon" <WaveyDragon@dragons.aren't.real.com> wrote in message
<snip?

> Gauntlet. Unique (if rather dull).
>
> Final Fight. Probably the best Capcom scrolling fighter. IMHO.

I agree with these points.