trevor

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I've been having problems with "NTLDR missing..." I've noticed several good
posts regarding using the recovery console to try and fix this problem. I
have WXP Pro and recently installed SP2. When I try to invoke the recovery
console by booting off my XP Pro CD, a blue screen comes up with "Windows
Setup" displayed in the upper left corner and then the system hangs. I have
to reboot, so invoking the recovery console this way doesn't work. When I
try to invoke the console by entering the command F:\I386\winnt32.exe
/cmdcons, a window dialog box pops up with "Setup cannot continue because the
version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on the CD."

Is there an SP2 version of the recovery console? How do I work around this
issue?

This is really serious because there is no way that I can perform any repair
functions. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
--
trevor

You need to build a "slipstreamed" version of your copy of XP with SP2.
Then you can install and/or boot with the recovery console as needed (the
slipstreaming process updates the XP files to SP2, so in essence, it becomes
XP SP2 Recovery Console).

--
"SpongeBob SquarePants"
"Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?"

Small Note: If you want to learn how to fix/do something, I'll point you to
it, but if you want me to do your work for you, it will cost you $50 USD per
hour - your choice.

"Trevor" <Trevor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've been having problems with "NTLDR missing..." I've noticed several
> good
> posts regarding using the recovery console to try and fix this problem. I
> have WXP Pro and recently installed SP2. When I try to invoke the
> recovery
> console by booting off my XP Pro CD, a blue screen comes up with "Windows
> Setup" displayed in the upper left corner and then the system hangs. I
> have
> to reboot, so invoking the recovery console this way doesn't work. When I
> try to invoke the console by entering the command F:\I386\winnt32.exe
> /cmdcons, a window dialog box pops up with "Setup cannot continue because
> the
> version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on the CD."
>
> Is there an SP2 version of the recovery console? How do I work around
> this
> issue?
>
> This is really serious because there is no way that I can perform any
> repair
> functions. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
> --
> trevor

You need to build a slip-streamed CD that merges the SP-2 files into the
base XP files.

There is a small, free program called Nlite that will do this, but to you it
you must have the XP CDROM and a copy of SP-2 on CD or on disk:

http://nuhi.msfn.org/download.html

"Trevor" <Trevor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've been having problems with "NTLDR missing..." I've noticed several
> good
> posts regarding using the recovery console to try and fix this problem. I
> have WXP Pro and recently installed SP2. When I try to invoke the
> recovery
> console by booting off my XP Pro CD, a blue screen comes up with "Windows
> Setup" displayed in the upper left corner and then the system hangs. I
> have
> to reboot, so invoking the recovery console this way doesn't work. When I
> try to invoke the console by entering the command F:\I386\winnt32.exe
> /cmdcons, a window dialog box pops up with "Setup cannot continue because
> the
> version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on the CD."
>
> Is there an SP2 version of the recovery console? How do I work around
> this
> issue?
>
> This is really serious because there is no way that I can perform any
> repair
> functions. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
> --
> trevor

trevor

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks so much, I'll give this a try. I can't boot from my origianl XP CD,
the system hangs when I try. Is this going to happen with the slipstream
version also? Do I need to uninstall SP2?

I really appreciate your help. Thanks again.

Trevor

"Bob Harris" wrote:

> You need to build a slip-streamed CD that merges the SP-2 files into the
> base XP files.
>
> There is a small, free program called Nlite that will do this, but to you it
> you must have the XP CDROM and a copy of SP-2 on CD or on disk:
>
> http://nuhi.msfn.org/download.html
>
> "Trevor" <Trevor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've been having problems with "NTLDR missing..." I've noticed several
> > good
> > posts regarding using the recovery console to try and fix this problem. I
> > have WXP Pro and recently installed SP2. When I try to invoke the
> > recovery
> > console by booting off my XP Pro CD, a blue screen comes up with "Windows
> > Setup" displayed in the upper left corner and then the system hangs. I
> > have
> > to reboot, so invoking the recovery console this way doesn't work. When I
> > try to invoke the console by entering the command F:\I386\winnt32.exe
> > /cmdcons, a window dialog box pops up with "Setup cannot continue because
> > the
> > version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on the CD."
> >
> > Is there an SP2 version of the recovery console? How do I work around
> > this
> > issue?
> >
> > This is really serious because there is no way that I can perform any
> > repair
> > functions. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
> > --
> > trevor

trevor

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I'm not having much luck here. I downloaded nlite-0.99.1bi.exe but it won't
run. I double click but nothing happens. Is it suppose to run in DOS? I
tried following the slipstream instructions at
http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html but I get errors
because my XP CD is already integrated with SP1 (eventhough the error message
isn't the same as listed on the website, the error is most likely due to the

I'm really at a loss here. I'm having some drive problems but I have no way
to fix them because I loaded SP2.

I need to repair the boot files and change the boot drive but how can I do
that without the recovery console?

Has anyone tried uninstalling SP2?

Thanks for any info anyone may have.

"Bob Harris" wrote:

> You need to build a slip-streamed CD that merges the SP-2 files into the
> base XP files.
>
> There is a small, free program called Nlite that will do this, but to you it
> you must have the XP CDROM and a copy of SP-2 on CD or on disk:
>
> http://nuhi.msfn.org/download.html
>
> "Trevor" <Trevor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've been having problems with "NTLDR missing..." I've noticed several
> > good
> > posts regarding using the recovery console to try and fix this problem. I
> > have WXP Pro and recently installed SP2. When I try to invoke the
> > recovery
> > console by booting off my XP Pro CD, a blue screen comes up with "Windows
> > Setup" displayed in the upper left corner and then the system hangs. I
> > have
> > to reboot, so invoking the recovery console this way doesn't work. When I
> > try to invoke the console by entering the command F:\I386\winnt32.exe
> > /cmdcons, a window dialog box pops up with "Setup cannot continue because
> > the
> > version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on the CD."
> >
> > Is there an SP2 version of the recovery console? How do I work around
> > this
> > issue?
> >
> > This is really serious because there is no way that I can perform any
> > repair
> > functions. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
> > --
> > trevor

trevor

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Ok, I've been able to invoke the Recovery Console from the XP CD during a
boot. I made a change in the bios, I disabled "Quick Boot". For some
reason, when Quick Boot is enabled on my machine, the system hangs when
entering Windows Setup during the boot. Go figure.

I certainly appreciate your help. It's been a learning process. Now to get
to the real problems at hand.

Trevor