Introducing wireless network

Last response: in Wireless Networking
February 25, 2005 4:27:02 PM

Am planning to intoduce a wifi element into my existing home network because
of a newly bought wifi PDA. The existing network is the typical RJ45 cable
through a hub to 2 desktops and 1 laptop.
If I buy a wifi card for a desktop, will this new network fit seemlesly into
my existing network, i've heard of bridging but it looks complicated.
Are the network wizards supplied with XP good enough to follow??

All help is appreciated
February 25, 2005 4:38:19 PM

c1287 wrote:

> Am planning to intoduce a wifi element into my existing home network
> because
> of a newly bought wifi PDA. The existing network is the typical RJ45
> cable through a hub to 2 desktops and 1 laptop.
> If I buy a wifi card for a desktop, will this new network fit
> seemlesly into my existing network, i've heard of bridging but it
> looks complicated. Are the network wizards supplied with XP good
> enough to follow??
>
> All help is appreciated

Do you have a hub or a router? If you have a router without wireless
capabilities, buy a wireless access point and connect it to the router.
You won't need to bridge. If you have only a hub, consider replacing it
with a wireless router. There will be no problem having a combination
wired and wireless network. Here are some links to help:

Wireless Network Setup Wizard SP2
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cabl...

Wireless Information
http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsServer2003/techinfo/ove...

Making the Wireless Home Network Connection in Windows XP Without a
Router - MVP Barb Bowman - http://tinyurl.com/2zkon

Linksys networking information
http://www.linksys.com/edu/

Wireless - Basic Configuration -

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

Thanks to Malke and DJ Borell for your assiatance. Have now got to talk with
'the bank manager' over monies

"c1287" wrote:

> Am planning to intoduce a wifi element into my existing home network because
> of a newly bought wifi PDA. The existing network is the typical RJ45 cable
> through a hub to 2 desktops and 1 laptop.
> If I buy a wifi card for a desktop, will this new network fit seemlesly into
> my existing network, i've heard of bridging but it looks complicated.
> Are the network wizards supplied with XP good enough to follow??
>
> All help is appreciated
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 7:42:06 PM

"c1287" <c1287@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Am planning to intoduce a wifi element into my existing home network
> because
> of a newly bought wifi PDA. The existing network is the typical RJ45
> cable
> through a hub to 2 desktops and 1 laptop.
> If I buy a wifi card for a desktop, will this new network fit seemlesly
> into
> my existing network, i've heard of bridging but it looks complicated.
> Are the network wizards supplied with XP good enough to follow??

It can be done, but I don't know about "seamlessly"...at least not as far as
configuring is concerned. You can look at http://www.ezlan.net/ for some
instruction. A much easier, and more scalable, approach would be to replace
your hub with a wireless router such as the D-Link DI-524 or Linksys WRT54G
(these are both 802.11 b/g and are just examples. There are many offerings
out there). Some of these really aren't that much more expensive than a PCI
WiFi card and it will be much easier to integrate.