Introducing wireless network

Am planning to intoduce a wifi element into my existing home network because
of a newly bought wifi PDA. The existing network is the typical RJ45 cable
through a hub to 2 desktops and 1 laptop.
If I buy a wifi card for a desktop, will this new network fit seemlesly into
my existing network, i've heard of bridging but it looks complicated.
Are the network wizards supplied with XP good enough to follow??

All help is appreciated
3 answers Last reply
More about introducing wireless network

    c1287 wrote:

    > Am planning to intoduce a wifi element into my existing home network
    > because
    > of a newly bought wifi PDA. The existing network is the typical RJ45
    > cable through a hub to 2 desktops and 1 laptop.
    > If I buy a wifi card for a desktop, will this new network fit
    > seemlesly into my existing network, i've heard of bridging but it
    > looks complicated. Are the network wizards supplied with XP good
    > enough to follow??
    >
    > All help is appreciated

    Do you have a hub or a router? If you have a router without wireless
    capabilities, buy a wireless access point and connect it to the router.
    You won't need to bridge. If you have only a hub, consider replacing it
    with a wireless router. There will be no problem having a combination
    wired and wireless network. Here are some links to help:

    Wireless Network Setup Wizard SP2

    Wireless Information
    http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsServer2003/techinfo/overview/wififaq.mspx

    Making the Wireless Home Network Connection in Windows XP Without a
    Router - MVP Barb Bowman - http://tinyurl.com/2zkon

    Linksys networking information
    http://www.linksys.com/edu/

    Wireless - Basic Configuration -

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Thanks to Malke and DJ Borell for your assiatance. Have now got to talk with
    'the bank manager' over monies

    "c1287" <c1287@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Am planning to intoduce a wifi element into my existing home network
    > because
    > of a newly bought wifi PDA. The existing network is the typical RJ45
    > cable
    > through a hub to 2 desktops and 1 laptop.
    > If I buy a wifi card for a desktop, will this new network fit seemlesly
    > into
    > my existing network, i've heard of bridging but it looks complicated.
    > Are the network wizards supplied with XP good enough to follow??

    It can be done, but I don't know about "seamlessly"...at least not as far as
    configuring is concerned. You can look at http://www.ezlan.net/ for some
    instruction. A much easier, and more scalable, approach would be to replace
    your hub with a wireless router such as the D-Link DI-524 or Linksys WRT54G
    (these are both 802.11 b/g and are just examples. There are many offerings
    out there). Some of these really aren't that much more expensive than a PCI
    WiFi card and it will be much easier to integrate.

Wireless Network WiFi Wireless Networking