Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

VA-503+ won't recognize D-Link network card

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
May 20, 2004 5:42:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

What's been your luck in getting the D-Link DWL-G510 wireless PCI
netwoerk card to work in an FIC VA-503+ and Windows?

I couldn't get Windows to recognize the card, no matter how I
installed or uninstalled the driver software, what PCI slot I used
(other slots empty, how I configured the BIOS, or what VIA 4-in-1
driver software I installed -- but only with the VA-503+. With every
other mobo I have, new and old, the D-Link card installs fine,
including in the FIC PA-2007, which is older than their VA-503+.

If you were able to make this NIC work in your VA-503+, how did you do
it?
May 20, 2004 12:38:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

in the bios...reset configuration data? to YES- and PnP OS installed?
to NO

sometimes this will fix it.

"larrymoencurly" <larrymoencurly@my-deja.com> wrote in message
news:755e968a.0405200042.7f904279@posting.google.com...
> What's been your luck in getting the D-Link DWL-G510 wireless PCI
> netwoerk card to work in an FIC VA-503+ and Windows?
>
> I couldn't get Windows to recognize the card, no matter how I
> installed or uninstalled the driver software, what PCI slot I used
> (other slots empty, how I configured the BIOS, or what VIA 4-in-1
> driver software I installed -- but only with the VA-503+. With
every
> other mobo I have, new and old, the D-Link card installs fine,
> including in the FIC PA-2007, which is older than their VA-503+.
>
> If you were able to make this NIC work in your VA-503+, how did you
do
> it?
May 21, 2004 12:30:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

I had exact same problem with Asus P4B-F (Pentium-II slot 1 MB) and G510
wireless card. The MB BIOS PnP would not detect card no matter which PCI
slot I used. The card worked fine in other computer. The box says requires
32 bit PCI slot. I thought they were all 32 bit. I have never seen anything
like it.

-Kent
Related resources
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
May 21, 2004 3:16:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

"JAD" <jde> wrote in message news:<10apk8u11qaab78@corp.supernews.com>...

>> I couldn't get Windows to recognize the card, no matter how I
>> installed or uninstalled the driver software, what PCI slot I used
>> (other slots empty, how I configured the BIOS, or what VIA 4-in-1
>> driver software I installed -- but only with the VA-503+. With
>> every other mobo I have, new and old, the D-Link card installs
>> fine, including in the FIC PA-2007, which is older than their VA-503+.

> in the bios...reset configuration data? to YES- and PnP OS
> installed? to NO
>
> sometimes this will fix it.

It didn't help. :( 
This VA-503+ can sometimes be one wierd mobo.
May 22, 2004 6:40:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

what version windows ? what does the dlink web faq say ?


"larrymoencurly" <larrymoencurly@my-deja.com> wrote in message
news:755e968a.0405202216.12538474@posting.google.com...
> "JAD" <jde> wrote in message news:<10apk8u11qaab78@corp.supernews.com>...
>
> >> I couldn't get Windows to recognize the card, no matter how I
> >> installed or uninstalled the driver software, what PCI slot I used
> >> (other slots empty, how I configured the BIOS, or what VIA 4-in-1
> >> driver software I installed -- but only with the VA-503+. With
> >> every other mobo I have, new and old, the D-Link card installs
> >> fine, including in the FIC PA-2007, which is older than their VA-503+.
>
> > in the bios...reset configuration data? to YES- and PnP OS
> > installed? to NO
> >
> > sometimes this will fix it.
>
> It didn't help. :( 
> This VA-503+ can sometimes be one wierd mobo.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
May 22, 2004 6:40:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

"John" <digitalcat@verizon.net> wrote in message news:<mDJrc.4720$ZQ.1388@nwrddc03.gnilink.net>...

>> no matter how I installed or uninstalled the driver software,
>> what PCI slot I used (other slots empty, how I configured the
>> BIOS, or what VIA 4-in-1 driver software I installed -- but
>> only with the VA-503+. With every other mobo I have, new
>> and old, the D-Link card installs fine,

> what version windows ?

98SE (D-Link says 98SE, 2000, and XP are supported), but the card
works fine with 98 in an Intel 810i mobo and even a 75 MHz SiS mobo
(that one's so old that it has tail fins).

> what does the dlink web faq say ?

Not much. :( 
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
May 26, 2004 8:37:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

"Kent_Diego" <None@Nomicrosoft.com> wrote in message news:<NJerc.58$wa.6@fed1read07>...

> I had exact same problem with Asus P4B-F (Pentium-II slot 1 MB)
> and G510 wireless card. The MB BIOS PnP would not detect card
> no matter which PCI slot I used. The card worked fine in other
> computer.

That's wierd because that card worked fine in my Soyo 6BB v. 1.0,
based on the same Intel 440BX chipset.

The wierdest incompatibility I ever experienced was with a VIA-based
USB 2.0 USB card that caused my VIA-based VA-503+ (made by FIC, owned
by the same parent company as VIA) to act dead. I thought that it was
caused by the card's use of 2.5V instead of the usual 3.3V (advertised
as 3.3V tolerant), but it worked fine in an older VIA-based mobo and
even an SiS mobo so old that it had no DIMM or USB support (the G510
wireless card was fine in it).
!