VA-503+ won't recognize D-Link network card

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

What's been your luck in getting the D-Link DWL-G510 wireless PCI
netwoerk card to work in an FIC VA-503+ and Windows?

I couldn't get Windows to recognize the card, no matter how I
installed or uninstalled the driver software, what PCI slot I used
(other slots empty, how I configured the BIOS, or what VIA 4-in-1
driver software I installed -- but only with the VA-503+. With every
other mobo I have, new and old, the D-Link card installs fine,
including in the FIC PA-2007, which is older than their VA-503+.

If you were able to make this NIC work in your VA-503+, how did you do
it?
6 answers Last reply
More about recognize link network card
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    in the bios...reset configuration data? to YES- and PnP OS installed?
    to NO

    sometimes this will fix it.

    "larrymoencurly" <larrymoencurly@my-deja.com> wrote in message
    > What's been your luck in getting the D-Link DWL-G510 wireless PCI
    > netwoerk card to work in an FIC VA-503+ and Windows?
    >
    > I couldn't get Windows to recognize the card, no matter how I
    > installed or uninstalled the driver software, what PCI slot I used
    > (other slots empty, how I configured the BIOS, or what VIA 4-in-1
    > driver software I installed -- but only with the VA-503+. With
    every
    > other mobo I have, new and old, the D-Link card installs fine,
    > including in the FIC PA-2007, which is older than their VA-503+.
    >
    > If you were able to make this NIC work in your VA-503+, how did you
    do
    > it?
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    I had exact same problem with Asus P4B-F (Pentium-II slot 1 MB) and G510
    wireless card. The MB BIOS PnP would not detect card no matter which PCI
    slot I used. The card worked fine in other computer. The box says requires
    32 bit PCI slot. I thought they were all 32 bit. I have never seen anything
    like it.

    -Kent
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    "JAD" <jde> wrote in message news:<10apk8u11qaab78@corp.supernews.com>...

    >> I couldn't get Windows to recognize the card, no matter how I
    >> installed or uninstalled the driver software, what PCI slot I used
    >> (other slots empty, how I configured the BIOS, or what VIA 4-in-1
    >> driver software I installed -- but only with the VA-503+. With
    >> every other mobo I have, new and old, the D-Link card installs
    >> fine, including in the FIC PA-2007, which is older than their VA-503+.

    > in the bios...reset configuration data? to YES- and PnP OS
    > installed? to NO
    >
    > sometimes this will fix it.

    It didn't help. :(
    This VA-503+ can sometimes be one wierd mobo.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    what version windows ? what does the dlink web faq say ?

    > "JAD" <jde> wrote in message news:<10apk8u11qaab78@corp.supernews.com>...
    >
    > >> I couldn't get Windows to recognize the card, no matter how I
    > >> installed or uninstalled the driver software, what PCI slot I used
    > >> (other slots empty, how I configured the BIOS, or what VIA 4-in-1
    > >> driver software I installed -- but only with the VA-503+. With
    > >> every other mobo I have, new and old, the D-Link card installs
    > >> fine, including in the FIC PA-2007, which is older than their VA-503+.
    >
    > > in the bios...reset configuration data? to YES- and PnP OS
    > > installed? to NO
    > >
    > > sometimes this will fix it.
    >
    > It didn't help. :(
    > This VA-503+ can sometimes be one wierd mobo.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    "John" <digitalcat@verizon.net> wrote in message news:<mDJrc.4720$ZQ.1388@nwrddc03.gnilink.net>...

    >> no matter how I installed or uninstalled the driver software,
    >> what PCI slot I used (other slots empty, how I configured the
    >> BIOS, or what VIA 4-in-1 driver software I installed -- but
    >> only with the VA-503+. With every other mobo I have, new
    >> and old, the D-Link card installs fine,

    > what version windows ?

    98SE (D-Link says 98SE, 2000, and XP are supported), but the card
    works fine with 98 in an Intel 810i mobo and even a 75 MHz SiS mobo
    (that one's so old that it has tail fins).

    > what does the dlink web faq say ?

    Not much. :(
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    "Kent_Diego" <None@Nomicrosoft.com> wrote in message news:<NJerc.58$wa.6@fed1read07>...

    > I had exact same problem with Asus P4B-F (Pentium-II slot 1 MB)
    > and G510 wireless card. The MB BIOS PnP would not detect card
    > no matter which PCI slot I used. The card worked fine in other
    > computer.

    That's wierd because that card worked fine in my Soyo 6BB v. 1.0,
    based on the same Intel 440BX chipset.

    The wierdest incompatibility I ever experienced was with a VIA-based
    USB 2.0 USB card that caused my VIA-based VA-503+ (made by FIC, owned
    by the same parent company as VIA) to act dead. I thought that it was
    caused by the card's use of 2.5V instead of the usual 3.3V (advertised
    as 3.3V tolerant), but it worked fine in an older VIA-based mobo and
    even an SiS mobo so old that it had no DIMM or USB support (the G510
    wireless card was fine in it).

FIC Hardware D-Link Network Card Homebuilt Motherboards