va503+ and AMDK6-III+ is a great combination

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

This board and AMDK6 cpu is a very good combination. Although they are not
the fastest and seem to be very outdated, they have helped me to finish many
tasks for almost six years, including video editing, web page dessign, photo
editing, mp3 encoding, trading stocks online and many many things except
hardware demanding 3d games. I hope I can use the system for two more years
because I recently upgraded the cpu to K6-III+ and it was overclocked to
550mhz. Now this system is faster and still able to handle most updated
softwares. Actually I have a Pentium 4 system at home which is much faster
and more powerful than this system but for daily tasks such as web surfing,
listening to mp3 music and watching vcd, I still like to use this system
rather the P4 machine. I don't know why I tend to do this, may be human
being is such a kind of strange animal.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

Ha ha! I know what you mean. I am like that, too. It is one of those old
things that you do not want to put away, because it keeps doing the job. And
because it keeps doing the job, you develop a sense of loyalty to it. Actually,
that is probably a good trait.

In a way, it also reminds me of little children who keep their stuffed animals
forever. Eventually, the toy becomes a dirty, shapeless piece of fur, missing
the eyes and nose. Try to take it away, though, and the child cries for two
days. :p

--Alex

"Stanley Chu" <cstanley1@sinaman.com> wrote in message
| This board and AMDK6 cpu is a very good combination. Although they
are not
| the fastest and seem to be very outdated, they have helped me to
finish many
| tasks for almost six years, including video editing, web page
dessign, photo
| editing, mp3 encoding, trading stocks online and many many things
except
| hardware demanding 3d games. I hope I can use the system for two
more years
| because I recently upgraded the cpu to K6-III+ and it was
overclocked to
| 550mhz. Now this system is faster and still able to handle most
updated
| softwares. Actually I have a Pentium 4 system at home which is much
faster
| and more powerful than this system but for daily tasks such as web
surfing,
| listening to mp3 music and watching vcd, I still like to use this
system
| rather the P4 machine. I don't know why I tend to do this, may be
human
| being is such a kind of strange animal.

I sure will hate to abandon my 503+ systems. The single most
desirable feature is the need for only a modest CPU HSF and no fan
noise, I repeat, no fan noise, from these old systems. I have a new
box I use for gaming with an xp2600 and it sounds like a jet engine
idling in the room. I put a Thermaltake 11 blah blah cooler in the
system and the fan is so noisy. Never again will I purchase a HSF w/o
reading reviews on the noise it produces.
--
Best regards,
Kyle

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

I agree with Kyle. Nowadays systems are really fast but very noisy. They
are also very power consuming. This is one of the reasons why I like to use
my quite 503+ system to do most of my tasks and as Alex said, I've developed
a sense of loyalty to it. Sometimes new is not necessarily better. It
depends.

"Kylesb" <me@privacy.net> ??? news:2imifuFoea82U1@uni-berlin.de ???...
> "Stanley Chu" <cstanley1@sinaman.com> wrote in message
> | This board and AMDK6 cpu is a very good combination. Although they
> are not
> | the fastest and seem to be very outdated, they have helped me to
> finish many
> | tasks for almost six years, including video editing, web page
> dessign, photo
> | editing, mp3 encoding, trading stocks online and many many things
> except
> | hardware demanding 3d games. I hope I can use the system for two
> more years
> | because I recently upgraded the cpu to K6-III+ and it was
> overclocked to
> | 550mhz. Now this system is faster and still able to handle most
> updated
> | softwares. Actually I have a Pentium 4 system at home which is much
> faster
> | and more powerful than this system but for daily tasks such as web
> surfing,
> | listening to mp3 music and watching vcd, I still like to use this
> system
> | rather the P4 machine. I don't know why I tend to do this, may be
> human
> | being is such a kind of strange animal.
> |

> I sure will hate to abandon my 503+ systems. The single most
> desirable feature is the need for only a modest CPU HSF and no fan
> noise, I repeat, no fan noise, from these old systems. I have a new
> box I use for gaming with an xp2600 and it sounds like a jet engine
> idling in the room. I put a Thermaltake 11 blah blah cooler in the
> system and the fan is so noisy. Never again will I purchase a HSF w/o
> reading reviews on the noise it produces.
> --
> Best regards,
> Kyle

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

Kyle,

Even after reading some reviews, one is sometimes left wondering how quiet
a component really is, especially after the reviewer says something like,
"It was so quiet, I could not hear it over my 14 case fans."

That having been said, I will go ahead and suggest the cooler I have on my
Athlon XP 3000+, the Spire WhisperRock IV. It is one of the quietest HSF
coolers I have ever used. Granted, I do have CPU temperatures that would
make most overclockers shudder (always in the 50's degC), but my computer
is Prime95 stable, has no stability issues. I would not recommend it for
overclocking, but for general quiet use, it is a good unit. It is also
relatively cheap... $10-$15 US.

http://www.spirecooler.com/fcc.asp?ProdID=105

--Alex

Kylesb wrote:

> "Stanley Chu" <cstanley1@sinaman.com> wrote in message
> | This board and AMDK6 cpu is a very good combination. Although they
> are not
> | the fastest and seem to be very outdated, they have helped me to
> finish many
> | tasks for almost six years, including video editing, web page
> dessign, photo
> | editing, mp3 encoding, trading stocks online and many many things
> except
> | hardware demanding 3d games. I hope I can use the system for two
> more years
> | because I recently upgraded the cpu to K6-III+ and it was
> overclocked to
> | 550mhz. Now this system is faster and still able to handle most
> updated
> | softwares. Actually I have a Pentium 4 system at home which is much
> faster
> | and more powerful than this system but for daily tasks such as web
> surfing,
> | listening to mp3 music and watching vcd, I still like to use this
> system
> | rather the P4 machine. I don't know why I tend to do this, may be
> human
> | being is such a kind of strange animal.
> |

> I sure will hate to abandon my 503+ systems. The single most
> desirable feature is the need for only a modest CPU HSF and no fan
> noise, I repeat, no fan noise, from these old systems. I have a new
> box I use for gaming with an xp2600 and it sounds like a jet engine
> idling in the room. I put a Thermaltake 11 blah blah cooler in the
> system and the fan is so noisy. Never again will I purchase a HSF w/o
> reading reviews on the noise it produces.
> --
> Best regards,
> Kyle

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

Looks like an 80 mm fan on top of that HSF. I think that approach is
better for reducing noise. I went with the thermaltake HSF b/c I am
overclocking my duron 1600 to about 2200. Oh well, that's the price
one pays for hotrodding.

--
Best regards,
Kyle
"Alex Zorrilla" <apz@zxeng.com> wrote in message
| Kyle,
|
| Even after reading some reviews, one is sometimes left wondering how
quiet
| a component really is, especially after the reviewer says something
like,
| "It was so quiet, I could not hear it over my 14 case fans."
|
| That having been said, I will go ahead and suggest the cooler I have
on my
| Athlon XP 3000+, the Spire WhisperRock IV. It is one of the
quietest HSF
| coolers I have ever used. Granted, I do have CPU temperatures that
would
| make most overclockers shudder (always in the 50's degC), but my
computer
| is Prime95 stable, has no stability issues. I would not recommend
it for
| overclocking, but for general quiet use, it is a good unit. It is
also
| relatively cheap... $10-$15 US.
|
| http://www.spirecooler.com/fcc.asp?ProdID=105
|
| --Alex
|

| Kylesb wrote:
|
| > "Stanley Chu" <cstanley1@sinaman.com> wrote in message
| > | This board and AMDK6 cpu is a very good combination. Although
they
| > are not
| > | the fastest and seem to be very outdated, they have helped me to
| > finish many
| > | tasks for almost six years, including video editing, web page
| > dessign, photo
| > | editing, mp3 encoding, trading stocks online and many many
things
| > except
| > | hardware demanding 3d games. I hope I can use the system for
two
| > more years
| > | because I recently upgraded the cpu to K6-III+ and it was
| > overclocked to
| > | 550mhz. Now this system is faster and still able to handle most
| > updated
| > | softwares. Actually I have a Pentium 4 system at home which is
much
| > faster
| > | and more powerful than this system but for daily tasks such as
web
| > surfing,
| > | listening to mp3 music and watching vcd, I still like to use
this
| > system
| > | rather the P4 machine. I don't know why I tend to do this, may
be
| > human
| > | being is such a kind of strange animal.
| > |
| > |

| > I sure will hate to abandon my 503+ systems. The single most
| > desirable feature is the need for only a modest CPU HSF and no fan
| > noise, I repeat, no fan noise, from these old systems. I have a
new
| > box I use for gaming with an xp2600 and it sounds like a jet
engine
| > idling in the room. I put a Thermaltake 11 blah blah cooler in
the
| > system and the fan is so noisy. Never again will I purchase a HSF
w/o
| > reading reviews on the noise it produces.
| > --
| > Best regards,
| > Kyle

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

Hi Robert:

I recently pulled the fan guard off and that helped some with the
noise on the volcano 11. I use Speedfan and have the Volcano 11 setup
to run full speed at all times, letting Speedfan control fan speed.

Recently, the setup that I find most convenient to reduce noise and
cool nicely on a couple other athlon systems I own is to use one of
these:

http://www.kdcomputers.com/eui/prime/profile/799/25/component.htm

with one of these:

http://www.kdcomputers.com/eui/prime/profile/1136/25/component.htm

Works great, the fan has a thermal sensor for fan speed control, and
coupled with speedfan, the noise is substantially lower than any
Athlon HSF I've seen to date. Cooling is very good also. These fans
will rev up to 4000 rpm when the sensor detects hi temps. I just
shove the sensor down low in the HS blades. At this moment (low cpu
usage) the fan is running at 2000 rpm, and sounds like a nice quiet
case fan.

The work machine I use has this setup (previously had a 7000 RPM fan,
ughhh, was noisy as hell) on a coolermaster copper HS. If you buy one
of these adapters, be prepared to drill out the holes a bit before
mounting.

--
Best regards,
Kyle
"Robert Akins" <robert.akins2@verizon.net> wrote in message
| (I know we're way OT here, sorry)
| Kyle-
| I just upgraded the CPU on my Socket A system to an Athlon XP-M
2400+
| running at 2250MHz at 333MHz FSB. I got the chance to buy a TT
Volcano 11
| Xaser Edition HSF for a good price (used), and knowing its'
reputation for
| noise, I did a few mods that might or might not have made a lot of
| difference (I mostly ignore the fan noise so it doesn't bother me
that much,
| but I figured too much would bother the wife):
| 1) did a very thorough lapping job on the copper base
| 2) installed the temp sensor ON TOP OF the CPU, near one corner of
the core
| 3) used AS5 to mount the HSF
| 4) installed rubber washers between the fan frame and the heatsink
| 5) did away with the mostly decorative and possibly noise
contributing fan
| guard
| 6) sealed all openings between the fan and the heatsink with duct
tape
| With all that effort, right now MBM says the temp is 45C, and the
fan is
| running at 3790 RPM. Case temp is 40C.
| Robert
| Still got the 503+ sitting out in the garage;)

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

Thanks Kyle, I saved both of those items in my favorites for future
reference... I would have liked to use Speedfan as well but my KT3 Ultra2
motherboard doesn't support fan speed change.
Robert
"Kylesb" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Hi Robert:
>
> I recently pulled the fan guard off and that helped some with the
> noise on the volcano 11. I use Speedfan and have the Volcano 11 setup
> to run full speed at all times, letting Speedfan control fan speed.
>
> Recently, the setup that I find most convenient to reduce noise and
> cool nicely on a couple other athlon systems I own is to use one of
> these:
>
> http://www.kdcomputers.com/eui/prime/profile/799/25/component.htm
>
> with one of these:
>
> http://www.kdcomputers.com/eui/prime/profile/1136/25/component.htm
>
> Works great, the fan has a thermal sensor for fan speed control, and
> coupled with speedfan, the noise is substantially lower than any
> Athlon HSF I've seen to date. Cooling is very good also. These fans
> will rev up to 4000 rpm when the sensor detects hi temps. I just
> shove the sensor down low in the HS blades. At this moment (low cpu
> usage) the fan is running at 2000 rpm, and sounds like a nice quiet
> case fan.
>
> The work machine I use has this setup (previously had a 7000 RPM fan,
> ughhh, was noisy as hell) on a coolermaster copper HS. If you buy one
> of these adapters, be prepared to drill out the holes a bit before
> mounting.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Kyle
> "Robert Akins" <robert.akins2@verizon.net> wrote in message
> | (I know we're way OT here, sorry)
> | Kyle-
> | I just upgraded the CPU on my Socket A system to an Athlon XP-M
> 2400+
> | running at 2250MHz at 333MHz FSB. I got the chance to buy a TT
> Volcano 11
> | Xaser Edition HSF for a good price (used), and knowing its'
> reputation for
> | noise, I did a few mods that might or might not have made a lot of
> | difference (I mostly ignore the fan noise so it doesn't bother me
> that much,
> | but I figured too much would bother the wife):
> | 1) did a very thorough lapping job on the copper base
> | 2) installed the temp sensor ON TOP OF the CPU, near one corner of
> the core
> | 3) used AS5 to mount the HSF
> | 4) installed rubber washers between the fan frame and the heatsink
> | 5) did away with the mostly decorative and possibly noise
> contributing fan
> | guard
> | 6) sealed all openings between the fan and the heatsink with duct
> tape
> | With all that effort, right now MBM says the temp is 45C, and the
> fan is
> | running at 3790 RPM. Case temp is 40C.
> | Robert
> | Still got the 503+ sitting out in the garage;)

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

I used the same setup mentioned below on an older k7s5a which does not
have fan speed control, and the 1.4G Tbird in that mobo is the coolest
it's ever been, used the same HS, just mod'ed to use the larger fan
with the reducer, works nicely. In the past, the tbird ran over 50C,
now it purrs at about 45C all the time. BTW, KD Computers is great
also, prompt/fast service, and good prices on lots of "interestingly
different" stuff.