K6-2 500 on a VA-503+ Rev. 1.1A?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

I've checked around using Google and can't quite get a straight answer
on this one...

I picked up a VA-503+ motherboard with the rev "1.1a" stamp on it. My
question is, will the K6-2 500 processor run on it, or only on the Rev.
1.2 boards??

Right now it's got a K6-2 300 CPU on board, and I've OC'd it to 350MHZ,
but ...I'd like to get even faster, for as little as I can. I see that
regular K6-2 500 processors are selling for dirt cheap right now, and
it sounds perfect, but I've heard from a few sites that the 1.1a rev.
board won't go above 400MHz. Does anyone here know for a fact that
this is the case? Runs too hot...or is it too unstable?? Or is it
just mis-information???

For what it's worth, I'm not interested in the "+" CPU's...hard to get
brand new, and they're selling for quite a bit on eBay, so...just
interested in the plain vanilla 500 K6-2.

And...if it won't work on the 1.1a board, can it be tweaked by doing
some solder work on the board to match up to the 1.2a rev board? Any
current working links detailing how to do this??

Many thanks in advance!!!

Robert

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

I am running a K6-2 500 on a 1.1a. No stability or heat issues. Never
could overclock it though. I could only overclock the FSB and back down on
the multiplier.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

If you are interested I have the text and images of the mods that can be
made on an older 503+ (the article doesn't actually say v1.1a but it would
apply) to increase or simply bypass the current limiter which is the
limitation preventing some boards from working with some K6-2 500 CPUs.
Reply to my email address (remove the nospam) and I'll send them to you.
You might get lucky (or do some research and look for the right model) and
get a low current version of the CPU, and not need the mod anyway.
Robert
"bargainbin" <bargainbin@anonymous.to> wrote in message
> I've checked around using Google and can't quite get a straight answer
> on this one...
>
> I picked up a VA-503+ motherboard with the rev "1.1a" stamp on it. My
> question is, will the K6-2 500 processor run on it, or only on the Rev.
> 1.2 boards??
>
> Right now it's got a K6-2 300 CPU on board, and I've OC'd it to 350MHZ,
> but ...I'd like to get even faster, for as little as I can. I see that
> regular K6-2 500 processors are selling for dirt cheap right now, and
> it sounds perfect, but I've heard from a few sites that the 1.1a rev.
> board won't go above 400MHz. Does anyone here know for a fact that
> this is the case? Runs too hot...or is it too unstable?? Or is it
> just mis-information???
>
> For what it's worth, I'm not interested in the "+" CPU's...hard to get
> brand new, and they're selling for quite a bit on eBay, so...just
> interested in the plain vanilla 500 K6-2.
>
> And...if it won't work on the 1.1a board, can it be tweaked by doing
> some solder work on the board to match up to the 1.2a rev board? Any
> current working links detailing how to do this??
>
> Many thanks in advance!!!

Robert

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

I guess I got lucky. A little checking on what Robert said shows that the
maximum current specification for a K6-2 500 is12.5 amps and it appears that
the current limiter on the 1.1a rev 503+ has a manufacturing range from 12
to 16 amps.

"Robert Akins" <robert.akins2@verizon.net> wrote in message
> If you are interested I have the text and images of the mods that can be
> made on an older 503+ (the article doesn't actually say v1.1a but it would
> apply) to increase or simply bypass the current limiter which is the
> limitation preventing some boards from working with some K6-2 500 CPUs.
> Reply to my email address (remove the nospam) and I'll send them to you.
> You might get lucky (or do some research and look for the right model) and
> get a low current version of the CPU, and not need the mod anyway.
> Robert
> "bargainbin" <bargainbin@anonymous.to> wrote in message
> > I've checked around using Google and can't quite get a straight answer
> > on this one...
> >
> > I picked up a VA-503+ motherboard with the rev "1.1a" stamp on it. My
> > question is, will the K6-2 500 processor run on it, or only on the Rev.
> > 1.2 boards??
> >
> > Right now it's got a K6-2 300 CPU on board, and I've OC'd it to 350MHZ,
> > but ...I'd like to get even faster, for as little as I can. I see that
> > regular K6-2 500 processors are selling for dirt cheap right now, and
> > it sounds perfect, but I've heard from a few sites that the 1.1a rev.
> > board won't go above 400MHz. Does anyone here know for a fact that
> > this is the case? Runs too hot...or is it too unstable?? Or is it
> > just mis-information???
> >
> > For what it's worth, I'm not interested in the "+" CPU's...hard to get
> > brand new, and they're selling for quite a bit on eBay, so...just
> > interested in the plain vanilla 500 K6-2.
> >
> > And...if it won't work on the 1.1a board, can it be tweaked by doing
> > some solder work on the board to match up to the 1.2a rev board? Any
> > current working links detailing how to do this??
> >
> > Many thanks in advance!!!

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

Hope it works out for you.
Robert (Akins) ;)

"Robert" <notmy@email.address> wrote in message
> I guess I got lucky. A little checking on what Robert said shows that the
> maximum current specification for a K6-2 500 is12.5 amps and it appears
that
> the current limiter on the 1.1a rev 503+ has a manufacturing range from 12
> to 16 amps.
>
> "Robert Akins" <robert.akins2@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > If you are interested I have the text and images of the mods that can be
> > made on an older 503+ (the article doesn't actually say v1.1a but it
would
> > apply) to increase or simply bypass the current limiter which is the
> > limitation preventing some boards from working with some K6-2 500 CPUs.
> > Reply to my email address (remove the nospam) and I'll send them to you.
> > You might get lucky (or do some research and look for the right model)
and
> > get a low current version of the CPU, and not need the mod anyway.
> > Robert
> > "bargainbin" <bargainbin@anonymous.to> wrote in message
> > > I've checked around using Google and can't quite get a straight answer
> > > on this one...
> > >
> > > I picked up a VA-503+ motherboard with the rev "1.1a" stamp on it. My
> > > question is, will the K6-2 500 processor run on it, or only on the
Rev.
> > > 1.2 boards??
> > >
> > > Right now it's got a K6-2 300 CPU on board, and I've OC'd it to
350MHZ,
> > > but ...I'd like to get even faster, for as little as I can. I see
that
> > > regular K6-2 500 processors are selling for dirt cheap right now, and
> > > it sounds perfect, but I've heard from a few sites that the 1.1a rev.
> > > board won't go above 400MHz. Does anyone here know for a fact that
> > > this is the case? Runs too hot...or is it too unstable?? Or is it
> > > just mis-information???
> > >
> > > For what it's worth, I'm not interested in the "+" CPU's...hard to get

> > > brand new, and they're selling for quite a bit on eBay, so...just
> > > interested in the plain vanilla 500 K6-2.
> > >
> > > And...if it won't work on the 1.1a board, can it be tweaked by doing
> > > some solder work on the board to match up to the 1.2a rev board? Any
> > > current working links detailing how to do this??
> > >
> > > Many thanks in advance!!!

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

`HI, if I remember you can check the mod level, there was a small white
label on the rear center of board, any number over 4502 is ok with K6-2/500.

doug
www.lynncomp.com

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 21:24:04 -0400, "Doug Lynn" <drlynn@bellsouth.net>
wrote:

>>`HI, if I remember you can check the mod level, there was a small white
>>label on the rear center of board, any number over 4502 is ok with K6-2/500.
any number 4502 and over is more accurate :)

I have a 4502 board in my Linux server with a K6-2/500.

Robert

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

The ECN number on my 1.1a board which is also running a K6-2 500 is 1000. I
think the ECN is only important if you want a 1.2a board that is certified
to run a CPU higher than 400 MHz. If the original poster is still around I
suggest he take a look at this info:
http://web.archive.org/web/20001208161600/http://surfree.homestead.com/rock535/files/fic/K63_mod.htm
http://web.archive.org/web/20001208155100/surfree.homestead.com/rock535/files/fic/K62_info.htm