Gauntlet Legends in MAME v0.91?

Did I hear the game is now working in v0.91? If so, then how is it? I
loved the original Gauntlet games. Thank you in advance. :)
--
"An anthill increases by accumulation. / Medicine is consumed by distribution. / That which is
feared lessens by association. / This is the thing to understand." --Siddha Nagarjuna
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
( )
8 answers Last reply
More about gauntlet legends mame

    On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 19:46:03 -0600, ANTant@zimage.com wrote:

    > Did I hear the game is now working in v0.91? If so, then how is it?

    very,

    very,

    veee

    eeery

    slow

    :)

    <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote in message
    > Did I hear the game is now working in v0.91? If so, then how is it? I
    > loved the original Gauntlet games. Thank you in advance. :)

    "Working" is a relative term.

    It's more accurate to say it's "supported" in 0.91 rather than "Working". I
    doubt the fastest CPU out right now (3.6ghz?) can play it at even half
    speed.

    Recent CHD games like this (and probably NBA on NBC as well) probably won't
    run well on today's machines. But then, that isn't the goal of MAME now, is
    it? :-)

    Isn't it the goal to get all the games working instead of running
    slowly? There are a lot of games in Mame that run slowly like Hard
    Drivin'. These are great games along with Gauntlet Legends and they
    should be fixed.

    "The Captain" <tc@having.com> wrote in

    > <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote in message
    >> Did I hear the game is now working in v0.91? If so, then how is it? I
    >> loved the original Gauntlet games.

    "Original Gauntlet" is a subjective term. ;-)

    > "Working" is a relative term.
    >
    > It's more accurate to say it's "supported" in 0.91 rather than
    > "Working". I doubt the fastest CPU out right now (3.6ghz?) can play it
    > at even half speed.

    In that case, I suppose the correct answer is "Get a cheap Dreamcast if you
    want to play Gauntlet Legends"? :-)

    "Superman" <gmcsparran3@aol.com> wrote in message
    > Isn't it the goal to get all the games working instead of running
    > slowly? There are a lot of games in Mame that run slowly like Hard
    > Drivin'. These are great games along with Gauntlet Legends and they
    > should be fixed.

    MAME isn't about running the games at full speed. It's about documentation,
    hence there are no "speed hacks" in the code as the devs are after ACCURATE
    emulation. If they accomplish this with a driver, no matter how slowly it
    plays, then they consider it done, basically. MAME sacrifices speed over
    accuracy.

    Remember - MAME isn't about being able to play the games, it's about SAVING
    the games from extinction.

    Mike <mdh@deadspam.com> wrote:
    > On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 19:46:03 -0600, ANTant@zimage.com wrote:

    > > Did I hear the game is now working in v0.91? If so, then how is it?

    > very,

    > very,

    > veee

    > eeery

    > slow

    > :)

    Damn. :(
    --
    "An anthill increases by accumulation. / Medicine is consumed by distribution. / That which is
    feared lessens by association. / This is the thing to understand." --Siddha Nagarjuna
    /\___/\
    | |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
    ( )

    "The Captain" <tc@having.com> wrote:

    >"Superman" <gmcsparran3@aol.com> wrote in message
    >> Isn't it the goal to get all the games working instead of running
    >> slowly? There are a lot of games in Mame that run slowly like Hard
    >> Drivin'. These are great games along with Gauntlet Legends and they
    >> should be fixed.
    >>

    >MAME isn't about running the games at full speed. It's about documentation,
    >hence there are no "speed hacks" in the code as the devs are after ACCURATE
    >emulation. If they accomplish this with a driver, no matter how slowly it
    >plays, then they consider it done, basically. MAME sacrifices speed over
    >accuracy.
    >
    >Remember - MAME isn't about being able to play the games, it's about SAVING
    >the games from extinction.

    Agreed. The only question I have is how can you be sure the game is
    accurately emulated if it plays so slowly the developer can't test the
    game out. It seems that there is some minimum level of speed that's
    needed to be able to test a game (which probably isn't a level that
    people would want to play at.)

    "Superman" <gmcsparran3@aol.com> wrote in news:1107552738.980467.213730
    @g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > Isn't it the goal to get all the games working instead of running
    > slowly? There are a lot of games in Mame that run slowly like Hard
    > Drivin'. These are great games along with Gauntlet Legends and they
    > should be fixed.

    MAME is not for "k1dd13z" and "R0M b3gg4rz" ;-)

Games Video Games