How Scientists Plan to Stop Nasty Side-Channel Attacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Or, just avoid "cloud" like the plague....
Too many tech noobs falling for this crap....

If you are concerned with storage, get a 1TB hard drive and a stack of DVD's.... If you have that much crap, you might want to think about cleaning out your junk.....
On the plus side, you don't have to pay monthly fees, your data will always be there, and it will be faster, no download wait times.........

frostmachine

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2007
E[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]Or, just avoid "cloud" like the plague....Too many tech noobs falling for this crap....If you are concerned with storage, get a 1TB hard drive and a stack of DVD's.... If you have that much crap, you might want to think about cleaning out your junk.....On the plus side, you don't have to pay monthly fees, your data will always be there, and it will be faster, no download wait times.........[/citation]

Except when there's a fire, flood, earthquake, lightning strike or maybe a tornado. Admit it, most people store their backups in the same room as their computer. If anything happens to that room, well so much for monthly scheduled backups.

If you are really unlucky, a burglar or a well-aimed drunk driver can really ruin Aunt May's wedding pics.

G

"Side-channel attacks are frequently timing storage transactions and are measuring the power use of a systems to make conclusions of a system's activity and ultimately open a door to critical data."

This sentence makes no sense.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I have said many times, I will never use the "cloud".
I prefer to have MY files on MY own computer

Sharing between my other computers?
that's what home networks are for.

Sharing on the road?
That's why my notebook is for, simply copy/transfer anything that I need on the go.

Is secure and Free.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
I'm surprised at the numebr of people here on a tech site not embracing new tech. I plan on storing my own data on my own drives to, but I have some photos and pdf's saved in my email accounts as backups. I have a usb 1tb drive used for some file backups but in case those fail some pictures of family and things I've written that I dont' want to lose I see no reason not to keep it stored on a third soarce esp when it is free. I don't really have much sensative data but I will agree that I wouldn't keep like my tax retun info on a cloud but for some nonsensative data I like the extra level of redundancy

[citation][nom]g00fysmiley[/nom]I'm surprised at the numebr of people here on a tech site not embracing new tech. I plan on storing my own data on my own drives to, but I have some photos and pdf's saved in my email accounts as backups. I have a usb 1tb drive used for some file backups but in case those fail some pictures of family and things I've written that I dont' want to lose I see no reason not to keep it stored on a third soarce esp when it is free. I don't really have much sensative data but I will agree that I wouldn't keep like my tax retun info on a cloud but for some nonsensative data I like the extra level of redundancy[/citation]

New tech does not mean good tech. The only way I'd consider cloud storage would be my own NAS also setup for cloud features. It's not like I worry about a company loosing my files.

What I worry about is that those companies provide great big targets worth hundreds of millions of dollars or more in personal data. With legions of hackers salivating at the prospect of getting at that data. Those data centers are constantly under attack. With all the high profile security breaches by hackers in the news. You know it is only a matter of time until a single hacker or a dedicated group slips by undetected. Then they can just sift through the data gorging on the personal information of millions upon millions of people. Such as that data kept by Turbotax, Quicken and Quickbooks.

While some small home NAS offering private cloud storage is more secure. Sure it doesn't provide the massive levels of security that cloud providers too. It also isn't a target. It is too small and insignificant to look for, track down, and spend time defeating its security.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Being a paranoid freak, I still don't trust cloud services. I prefer to have my data in my hands, not in the hands of some company that may or may not be following security best practices and keeping their systems patched.

I'd love to see somebody hack my stack of encrypted drives sitting in my fire safe. I know they should be off site, but I'm pretty confident that, barring the total destruction of my apartment building or some really, really determined thieves, those disks are safe.

f-14

Distinguished
Side-channel attacks are considered by many computer security experts as one of the greatest security risks in cloud computing.
guess they do not consider take down orders a threat or an attack. cloud computing will be the end all to MPAA/RIAA claims as millions will break the law every day or it will mark the end of the cloud as it's not worthy of anything when the MPAA/RIAA pressure the FBI into taking down every 'megaupload' cloud.

Status
Not open for further replies.