503+ memory problems

wally

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2001
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

I have a 503+ with a K6-III+ 450 MHZ running at 500MHZ(Win98SE) and it
runs fine with a 256mb (pc133)memory stick but when I add another stick
of 128mb Memtest 86 shows errors. What is weird is I have a Soyo
K7VEM-Pro that uses PC133 SDRAM and any memory over 256MB shows errors
in Memtest 86 (3.0) also. Checked individually the sticks check fine. It
is like Memtest 86 can't handle any thing over 256mb.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

That is weird. I know that Memtest86 can handle >256MB. The question is,
what is about your systems that it does not like? Do you have the latest
BIOSes installed for both motherboards, in case it is a weird memory
compatability problem? Have you played around with the memory timings in
the BIOS at all, under Advanced Chipset Options?

--Alex

Wally wrote:

> I have a 503+ with a K6-III+ 450 MHZ running at 500MHZ(Win98SE) and it
> runs fine with a 256mb (pc133)memory stick but when I add another stick
> of 128mb Memtest 86 shows errors. What is weird is I have a Soyo
> K7VEM-Pro that uses PC133 SDRAM and any memory over 256MB shows errors
> in Memtest 86 (3.0) also. Checked individually the sticks check fine. It
> is like Memtest 86 can't handle any thing over 256mb.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

I have the memory set for 4 way interleave and cas 3, the FIC is set for
Turbo (running at 100MHZ), what ever that means I have the latest bios for
the Soyo and the Je4333 for the FIC that makes it compatible with the
K6-III+ 450mhz cpu. The Soyo is supposed to be compatable with 32x64 (8 on
a 256 module) but not the High density chips. The Fic needs the lower
density chips ,16 on a 256 mb module.
"Alex Zorrilla" <apz@zxeng.com> wrote in message
> That is weird. I know that Memtest86 can handle >256MB. The question is,
> what is about your systems that it does not like? Do you have the latest
> BIOSes installed for both motherboards, in case it is a weird memory
> compatability problem? Have you played around with the memory timings in
> the BIOS at all, under Advanced Chipset Options?
>
> --Alex
>

> Wally wrote:
>
> > I have a 503+ with a K6-III+ 450 MHZ running at 500MHZ(Win98SE) and it
> > runs fine with a 256mb (pc133)memory stick but when I add another stick
> > of 128mb Memtest 86 shows errors. What is weird is I have a Soyo
> > K7VEM-Pro that uses PC133 SDRAM and any memory over 256MB shows errors
> > in Memtest 86 (3.0) also. Checked individually the sticks check fine. It
> > is like Memtest 86 can't handle any thing over 256mb.

---