Fixing Bad File Record Signature

After a major crash, I reinstalled my OS (XP Pro), and now the 2 external
firewire drives are not readable due to a "Bad file record signature" error.
I get a "A file or directory is not readable" pop-up when trying to open the
drive from 'Explore' . Is there any way to rewrite the drive's mbr or
directory to have the OS read it?

--
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
1 answer Last reply

    downloder <downloder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >After a major crash, I reinstalled my OS (XP Pro), and now the 2 external
    >firewire drives are not readable due to a "Bad file record signature" error.
    >I get a "A file or directory is not readable" pop-up when trying to open the
    >drive from 'Explore' . Is there any way to rewrite the drive's mbr or
    >directory to have the OS read it?
    >
    > --
    >Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

    Check the drive manufacturer's web site for any diagnostic utilities
    for your drive models. Also check out Spinrite 6 from Gibson
    Research (www.grc.com)

    Spinrite has always been the best available product for fixing hard
    drive problems, and they have just recently released version 6 which
    has added features for dealing with modern drives. I know that it now
    supports NTFS as well as FAT32 partitions but am not sure if it will
    work with SATA drives.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --