Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

Problem Description* The computer will not start up, i see the hard
drive light on and the cd-rom, cd-rw. but that is it, i get no kebord or
mouse, not even the flopey drive light comes on, the cpu fan works, and
the power fan works, so i think it has some thing to do wit my BIOS,

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

The BIOS is most likely the last source of your problem, unless you
recently attempted a flash that failed. I'd suspect, in order, CPU,
Power Supply, Motherboard, Memory. Look over your motherboard
carefully, particularly near the CPU, are any capacitors bulging on
the top or have liquid leaking out from the bottom?

--
Best regards,
Kyle
"Warkey" <JWARK@ROCHESTER.RR.COM> wrote in message
| Problem Description* The computer will not start up, i see the hard
| drive light on and the cd-rom, cd-rw. but that is it, i get no
kebord or
| mouse, not even the flopey drive light comes on, the cpu fan works,
and
| the power fan works, so i think it has some thing to do wit my BIOS,

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

I agree with Kyle. I have also seen a loose graphics card cause this.

Try stripping your computer down to the bare minimum: CPU (with fan),
memory, graphics card, power supply. Take even these components out and
put them back in, in case there is a bad connection somewhere. Leave
everything else (including keyboard/mouse) unplugged. If the computer
starts now, then slowly add the other components back in.

--Alex

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 13:32:20 -0500, Alex Zorrilla <apz@zxeng.com> wrote:

>>I agree with Kyle. I have also seen a loose graphics card cause this.
The most common problem I seem to experience with my PC Chips board is
that one of the PCI cards seem to unseat themselves (from me
occasionally moving the case around to get at something behind it - it's
in a cabinet-like area in my desk) and cause the machine to crash or not
start.

Re-seating the cards solves the problem.

"Brad Clarke" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
| On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 13:32:20 -0500, Alex Zorrilla <apz@zxeng.com>
wrote:

| >>I agree with Kyle. I have also seen a loose graphics card cause
this.
| The most common problem I seem to experience with my PC Chips board
is
| that one of the PCI cards seem to unseat themselves (from me
| occasionally moving the case around to get at something behind it -
it's
| in a cabinet-like area in my desk) and cause the machine to crash or
not
| start.
|
| Re-seating the cards solves the problem.

Oops, I forgot the cheapest thing to try, thanks Alex for reminding me
of the most simple of fixes.
--
Best regards,
Kyle