FIC K8-800T motherboard, defective rate ?

Tags:
  • FIC
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
August 25, 2004 3:34:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

Hi,
Either I screwed up, or my FIC K8-800T motherboard is
defective. This is my first time upgrading a mobo, so it could be me.
Anyway, does the K8-800T have an above average defect rate ? Thanks
for your time.
Steve, steve2470uganda@ugandaexcite.com (remove the
obvious)

More about : fic 800t motherboard defective rate

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 26, 2004 7:09:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

Hmmm, I have no idea what the actual defective rate is, but even if it is
0.1% (it is probably higher), that does not help you if you were unlucky
enough to get stuck with a bad one anyway.

What is the motherboard doing (or not doing)? Is it totally refusing to
power up? If so, try stripping it down to the bare minimum: motherboard,
CPU+heatsink, RAM, power supply, graphics card, video cable to monitor.
That means no hard drive, no floppy drive, no cables, no keyboard, no
mouse, no PCI cards, etc. If you can, take the motherboard out of the
case and put it on a flat, nonconducting surface, like a piece of
cardboard or a wooden table.

Connect the power cables to the motherboard, but do not connect the 50
million little connectors to the case. Locate the two pins on the
motherboard that connect to the case power button. Instead of connecting
the power button cable to those pins, touch the head of a screwdriver to
those pins. That will take the place of the power button for now.

If the computer still does not start, try removing and reinstalling the
CPU, RAM, and graphics card. It could be that one of those is loose.
Now that the computer is out of the case, you should have easy access to
those sockets.

If the computer still does not start, make sure that the "Clear CMOS"
jumper is set to the "Normal" position. Some manufacturers ship
motherboards with this jumper in the "Clear" position to preserve battery
life. I do not believe FIC does this, but it is easy enough to check.

Let me know if this helps, or if the problem is something else.

--Alex

"Steve H." wrote:

> Hi,
> Either I screwed up, or my FIC K8-800T motherboard is
> defective. This is my first time upgrading a mobo, so it could be me.
> Anyway, does the K8-800T have an above average defect rate ? Thanks
> for your time.
> Steve, steve2470uganda@ugandaexcite.com (remove the
> obvious)
August 27, 2004 1:34:52 AM

Alex Zorrilla wrote:
> Hmmm, I have no idea what the actual defective rate is, but even if it is
> 0.1% (it is probably higher), that does not help you if you were unlucky
> enough to get stuck with a bad one anyway.
>
> What is the motherboard doing (or not doing)? Is it totally refusing to
> power up? If so, try stripping it down to the bare minimum: motherboard,
> CPU+heatsink, RAM, power supply, graphics card, video cable to monitor.
> That means no hard drive, no floppy drive, no cables, no keyboard, no
> mouse, no PCI cards, etc. If you can, take the motherboard out of the
> case and put it on a flat, nonconducting surface, like a piece of
> cardboard or a wooden table.
>
> Connect the power cables to the motherboard, but do not connect the 50
> million little connectors to the case. Locate the two pins on the
> motherboard that connect to the case power button. Instead of connecting
> the power button cable to those pins, touch the head of a screwdriver to
> those pins. That will take the place of the power button for now.
>
> If the computer still does not start, try removing and reinstalling the
> CPU, RAM, and graphics card. It could be that one of those is loose.
> Now that the computer is out of the case, you should have easy access to
> those sockets.
>
> If the computer still does not start, make sure that the "Clear CMOS"
> jumper is set to the "Normal" position. Some manufacturers ship
> motherboards with this jumper in the "Clear" position to preserve battery
> life. I do not believe FIC does this, but it is easy enough to check.
>
> Let me know if this helps, or if the problem is something else.
>
> --Alex

Thanks Alex. A friend of mine and I are going to tackle it tonight, will
let you know.
Steve
!