Problem with Windows XP and onboard Intel Pro 100 NIC

Hello, evrybody.

I've recently bought an OEM version of a Gigabyte 7DPXDW-P motherboard
(dual Athlon MP). I installed an old Radeon 7500 All In Wonder video
card on that and a professional Aardvark audio card, 1Gb RAM ECC
Registered, 2 Segate Barracuda hard disks, a Samsung CDRW and a TX
DVD-RW.

The problem is the following: with Windows 2000 and Linux (I've a
multi-boot system) everything works fine.
In Windows XP I just cant' get the onboard integrated network adapter
to work properly!
The symptoms are these:
Sometimes the Intel Pro 100 Server Adapter (82550 chipset) is not
initialized properly and it appears as non working with the yellow
exclamation mark in Device Manager.
Sometimes it boots correctly, but can't connect. Windows XP tells me
"Limited or no connectivity". I can't ping my external hardware
firewall, other computers in the network or the Internet, anything.
Weirdly, when I change some of the system drivers and reboot, seldomly
everything works, but it won't survive another boot!

I've tried every possible combination of various version of driver for
every single device I've, with no results.

Trying to solve the problem, I've found that modifying driver boot
order, by using the "sc" console command or editing the registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\E100B\Start
telling the driver to Start as a "0" Boot driver, it works fine every
single time. But USB doesn't anymore!!! I've set to Boot also the
"usbohci" service and USB and Ethernet work, but Ac97 integrated audio
(AMD 768) doesn't and so on!!! I've tried putting everything back to
"3"-"Load on demand" start and using DepenOnService values and
actually I can get it to work every now and then, once in a 5-6 boot
tries!
Perhaps there's a right dependencies and start combination that would
make everything work, but I haven't found it yet! :)

Do you have any suggestions?

Please note that (apart from the Radeon 7500AIW) I don't have any
additional card except an Aardvark Direct Pro LX6 professional
sound-board. But even pulling it out, formatting and reinstalling XP
without that in, the problem stays!

Also note that I had an ATI All In Wonder 128 Pro till a few days ago.
I switched to the Radeon one because I've found it in the QVL list for
the motherboard!

I've also updated the BIOS to the latest version.

Thank you for your ideas!
Bye!

If the network connection does not work in
Linux
Windows 2000 OR
Windows XP

then the network port is DEAD. If you can, return the
motherboard as "defective".

If you can not, yo can purchase an additional Intel Pro 100 Server adapter
and disable to one on-board.

Y.