Sign in with
Your question

Signal Strength Low?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
February 18, 2003 5:35:29 PM

I've got a wireless network set up at home (Netgear FM114P router with two PCs connected through Netgear MA311), but one computer is recieving a very low signal strength (and occasional random disconnects, and it's only about 30ft away from the router), the other one (only about 5ft from the router) gets excellent strength. I went as far as to disconnect anything that works on the 2.4ghz range to interfere with the signal. I gave the NIC a static IP, made sure both the router and NIC were on the same channel, double checked all settings and I'm still getting low strength. So I went out and bought a wireless adapter (Netgear MA101) and set it up on the desk of my computer (the one with the problems, the NIC card faces a wall on the floor) and I get a very good signal strength.

So I've eliminated everything I could think about that could be the problem (even tried zip tieing cables out of the way), except for EMR since my case is plastic not aluminum. Is it possible that my PC can produce enough EMR to interfere with the signal? Or does anyone else have any ideas as to what could be the problem?

More about : signal strength low

February 19, 2003 12:29:56 AM

Antenna placement is the key.

If you took your computer and placed it on top and turned it arround you would get good signal strength. Since this is not feasable I wound stick with what works.

I aint signing nothing!!!
February 19, 2003 1:02:23 AM

Is it possible to buy an a new antenna that sits apart from the NIC card? (Something I could put on top of my desk and run a connecting cable down to the NIC card)
Related resources
February 19, 2003 1:33:01 AM

Yes but these are pretty pricey. $140 up

Some have removeable antannas, You could have a cable made but it would still cost arround $40 to$50. Just for the cable and connectors.The good(low loss) cable is almost 1/2 in across and pretty stiff.

I aint signing nothing!!!
February 20, 2003 6:07:39 PM

hyperlink.com sells extender kits for as low as 30 bucks before shipping. 5 dBi omnis with short pigtails but it doesn't sound like you need a long one anyway.
September 13, 2011 4:41:43 PM

Signal strengths is a big problem! Main this is that its not a software thing so you end up with buys different hardware with no guarantee which is going to work.

I've had my share of problems with signal strengths. I've put them in my post at http://siddharthbarman.com/blog/2011/09/13/setting-up-a...
September 13, 2011 8:05:26 PM

You can buy new "stronger" antenna for some cards, not all. Or go spend more money and get a signal booster (notice i said booster and not extender, there is a difference in how well they work)
It may just be that the card in your system is either tucked away enough not to get a good signal (in which case and antenna or booster would work), or just plain isn't that good to begin with (in which case you wasted your money). I would say if the wireless adapter works and gets you a good signal stick with that.

I have an HP laptop that is great...except for the fact that the wireless card is complete garbage. I can sit right next to the router and only get 1-2 bars out of 4. From 60 feet away it gave me all kinds of trouble. So i pulled out the old gaming adapter i still had from my consoles before i hard wired them and plugged that into the laptop, bingo, signal strength was perfect.
!