AOC's 22-inch USB Powered HD Display Now Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

yordan

Honorable
May 2, 2012
AOC e2251Fwu specification "10W maximum"
10W = +5V (USB Voltage) x 2A Current

USB 2.0 specification is 0.5A Current per port!!!

The article implies that you can turn this monitor
in any laptop. Old asus Eeepc and many others have a limit 0.6A per port.

mesab66

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
yordan, I'm guessing it does only need 1 free usb2 port - a quick check around seems to back this up. There's no mention of multi-port requirements.....kinda something that would be picked up on? Google search might of tripped up, though (damnit, I'm not blaming me if i'm wrong! lol)

G

hmm also wondering about power supply. true is that single port have 0.5A. maybe y-usb cable? 1A then.. hmmm and what about sending that much information thru usb? special usb drivers? image compression? courious. anyway grat piece of tec. i would like to have 1 :)

lp231

Splendid
It's innovative, but still has flaws as it requires their software in order to work. It's only good for a secondary display, but a waste or useless if you are in the following scenarios:
1. You building your very first computer and have no OS to begin with
2. Your old monitor died and you're looking for a replacement. You can't use this as how can you install the monitor software in the first place?
Also the image shows a round port, clearly for the use of a external power adapter, Maybe that's optional?

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
we have several users on mac's, pro's and airs mostly. We currently use a usb video card that outputs to dvi; these are extremely laggy. If this product delivers what it promises, they have just earned some sells.

As a caveat, i did some research on the max 10watts(which most laptops throw an error or shut down the port for anything that hits the .6a and up mark) and i just dont see how they could claim single usb operation if it always required 10. This is pure speculation, lacking the needed documentation, i would assume the optional power adapter peaks the display out at the full 10watts by increasing brightness. I guess i will see when it arrives.

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
That's not possible!
The display would need to be using less than 2.5W, as most USB sockets provide for less than 500mAh on 5V, that would mean a screen that is not backlit, or backlit by a les than 1,5W background led.
That would not be a very bright image!

wjc3usa

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2008
Spec sheet shows: Brightness 150 cd/m2 (typical) AND 10w max

10 watts is only doable via 4 USB 2.0 ports(or the "optional power brick") Manual is not available but the 16" LCD manual shows a dual USB cable.

150cd/m2 is not something I would put in a spec sheet. Maybe readable with the lights off?

For those of you not living in the past:
http://www.displaylink.com/usb3/end_users.php

W

Latentius

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Even with all their PR hype, I can't imagine this thing being anything but laggy, trying to drive that resolution over a USB 2.0 connection.

Why not make the jump to USB 3.0? That could actually provide some decent bandwidth and power, making the product a much more attractive proposition (and a good use for those extra USB 3.0 ports).

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
I wish tech writers would try to explain how AOC was able to power this 10w device with a usb 2 connection of 5v and 0.5ma limitation.

madgeyu

Honorable
May 3, 2012
It too uses DisplayLink's USB 2.0 graphics and connectivity technology, but also features a built-in Smart Stand that pivots when needed, and offers 1366 x 786 resolution.
hmp.gif

lp231

Splendid
Their 16" model has a feature call Auto Pivot. How does that work? Does the screen pivot on its own when it detects the program I'm running, like it automatically pivots to portrait mode when I'm reading a document?

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
I would think that auto pivot means it knows whether the screen is in portrait or landscape orientation and automatically flips the screen accordingly. I used to have a Dell LCD that did that.

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009

Neither of which is what this monitor was designed for. It was designed to be a simple second monitor, persumable for travelers who use a laptop frequently. Funny enough if you use a device for it's intended purpose it works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.