Problem installing Windows - is it hardware?

I am trying to install windows home. It gets as far as format which it
completes okay then when installing files it comes up time after time saying
file missing(various system files) cannot install windows. Have tried another
HDD, tried two CD Drives, tried two different Windows disks still no joy. The
BIOS looks okay boots checking RAM and devices okay. Any idea what could be
stopping Windows loading properly?

AMD 1900XP
512 MB PC2700 RAM
ASUS A7N8x deluxe
Radeon 8500 64mb video
--
malski

Install xp cd,Boot to xp cd (you may need to adjust in BIOS,priority device.)
recovery,press enter for password,then type:DiskPart In DiskPart,delete the
current partition (C:),create one,then press Esc Then type:FORMAT C:
/FS:ntfs
When its thru type:EXIT XP will install auto after a reboot.

"malski" wrote:

> I am trying to install windows home. It gets as far as format which it
> completes okay then when installing files it comes up time after time saying
> file missing(various system files) cannot install windows. Have tried another
> HDD, tried two CD Drives, tried two different Windows disks still no joy. The
> BIOS looks okay boots checking RAM and devices okay. Any idea what could be
> stopping Windows loading properly?
>
> AMD 1900XP
> 512 MB PC2700 RAM
> ASUS A7N8x deluxe
> Radeon 8500 64mb video
> --
> malski

If you can swap out your Ram or if you have two sticks just use one. Or
copy the XP CD to the Hard Drive and do the install from there.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/getstarted/installnew.mspx

"malski" <malski@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to install windows home. It gets as far as format which it
> completes okay then when installing files it comes up time after time
> saying
> file missing(various system files) cannot install windows. Have tried
> another
> HDD, tried two CD Drives, tried two different Windows disks still no joy.
> The
> BIOS looks okay boots checking RAM and devices okay. Any idea what could
> be
> stopping Windows loading properly?
>
> AMD 1900XP
> 512 MB PC2700 RAM
> ASUS A7N8x deluxe
> Radeon 8500 64mb video
> --
> malski

This certainly does sound like a RAM problem. The software RAM testers DO
NOT thoroughly test the RAM. Only a hardware tester will massage the RAM
thoroughly for a complete test. And, these testers cost hundreds of dollars.

--

Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"malski" <malski@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to install windows home. It gets as far as format which it
> completes okay then when installing files it comes up time after time
> saying
> file missing(various system files) cannot install windows. Have tried
> another
> HDD, tried two CD Drives, tried two different Windows disks still no joy.
> The
> BIOS looks okay boots checking RAM and devices okay. Any idea what could
> be
> stopping Windows loading properly?
>
> AMD 1900XP
> 512 MB PC2700 RAM
> ASUS A7N8x deluxe
> Radeon 8500 64mb video
> --
> malski

bar

Do follow the suggestions to remove one then the other memory modules to see
if the installation can be concluded successfully.

The installation process of Windows is one of the most rigorous tests that
one would normally perform on their computer. I have seen systems running
without problems until an XP installation or upgrade has been attempted.

One other hardware item that occasionally causes failure can be when the AGP
/ Video adapter is not properly inserted. SO just remove this from the
computer and reinsert it, being careful to ensure it sits level and securely
in the socket.