Wireless - SSID

Does anyone know why, when I use my SSID as blocked on my wireless Linksys
router with Windows XP Pro (SP2) it never works? It I have it set to off,
i.e. display the SSID, the wireless network works fine...

Ps: Not sure if this is the best newsgroup to ask this in...
3 answers Last reply
More about wireless ssid

    NO idea, but I'm sure the Linksys help desk folks would know.

    give them a call as installation iissues should qualify for free support.

    Ivan Williams wrote:
    > Does anyone know why, when I use my SSID as blocked on my wireless Linksys
    > router with Windows XP Pro (SP2) it never works? It I have it set to off,
    > i.e. display the SSID, the wireless network works fine...
    >
    > Ps: Not sure if this is the best newsgroup to ask this in...

    .....because XP SP2's zero configuration wireless setup will search for wireless
    devices. If it finds one, it will try to connect to that device. If it finds
    more, it will ask you which one to connect to. Unfortunately, the device must be
    beaconing for XP'x configuration to work. It won't just connect.

    I generally use the software that comes with my wireless device and turn XP's
    stuff off.

    courtney sends....

    The only way to connect to a wireless network with SP2 without
    broadcasting the SSID is to manually configure the wireless network or
    better yet, use the configuration utility that came with your wireless card.

    -----
    Nathan McNulty

    Courtney wrote:
    > Ivan Williams wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone know why, when I use my SSID as blocked on my wireless
    >> Linksys
    >> router with Windows XP Pro (SP2) it never works? It I have it set to off,
    >> i.e. display the SSID, the wireless network works fine...
    >>
    >> Ps: Not sure if this is the best newsgroup to ask this in...
    >>

    > ....because XP SP2's zero configuration wireless setup will search for
    > wireless devices. If it finds one, it will try to connect to that
    > device. If it finds more, it will ask you which one to connect to.
    > Unfortunately, the device must be beaconing for XP'x configuration to
    > work. It won't just connect.
    >
    > I generally use the software that comes with my wireless device and turn
    > XP's stuff off.
    >
    > courtney sends....

Wireless SSID Windows XP