Does anyone know why, when I use my SSID as blocked on my wireless Linksys
router with Windows XP Pro (SP2) it never works? It I have it set to off,
i.e. display the SSID, the wireless network works fine...

Ps: Not sure if this is the best newsgroup to ask this in...

bar

NO idea, but I'm sure the Linksys help desk folks would know.

give them a call as installation iissues should qualify for free support.

Ivan Williams wrote:
> Does anyone know why, when I use my SSID as blocked on my wireless Linksys
> router with Windows XP Pro (SP2) it never works? It I have it set to off,
> i.e. display the SSID, the wireless network works fine...
>
> Ps: Not sure if this is the best newsgroup to ask this in...

.....because XP SP2's zero configuration wireless setup will search for wireless
devices. If it finds one, it will try to connect to that device. If it finds
more, it will ask you which one to connect to. Unfortunately, the device must be
beaconing for XP'x configuration to work. It won't just connect.

I generally use the software that comes with my wireless device and turn XP's
stuff off.

courtney sends....

The only way to connect to a wireless network with SP2 without
broadcasting the SSID is to manually configure the wireless network or
better yet, use the configuration utility that came with your wireless card.

-----
Nathan McNulty