Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

While I truly appreciate all the help, I'm still at a quandry as to why
after installing a floppy drive into the system having all the trouble, then
removing it and installing it into a good system I now encounter the drive
as bad. I hope I'm explaining this correctly.

The system I'm attempting to build is: FIC AU13 motherboard with an AMD
XP3200 processor, 512 mb PC3200 RAM(all this was supposedly "tested" before
shipping!) the board has onboard sound & Lan. The vid card I currently have
to use due to budget constraints is a Nvidia Geforce4 440MX 64 mb AGP. I
also want to override the onboard sound with a SoundBlaster Live PCI. This
is all run with a Codegen 350W power supply. Now, this is the system having
all the trouble, I have a new motherboard coming from the dealer on Monday,
but as I said, whenever I install a floppy drive, regardless of the brand,
it does not work. All I get is errors on bootup regarding the floppy
failure. I installed 3 known good drives and in fact pulled a good drive
from the old system I'm using right now to post this message. After
receiving yet another floppy failure message, I placed that drive BACK into
the machine it originally came from.that's when I started worrying because
now the drive failed on the machine it came from! So, again, what would
cause damage (?) to drives installed on the new machine?

I hope I made the problem somewhat clearer!

Thank you all again, great advice and always, always appreciated!

Gerry
gwolf@wi.rr.com

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

Hey, Gerry.

Hmmm, that is odd. Maybe the floppy cable is causing the errors?

--Alex

Gerry Wolf wrote:

>While I truly appreciate all the help, I'm still at a quandry as to why
>after installing a floppy drive into the system having all the trouble, then
>removing it and installing it into a good system I now encounter the drive
>as bad. I hope I'm explaining this correctly.
>
>The system I'm attempting to build is: FIC AU13 motherboard with an AMD
>XP3200 processor, 512 mb PC3200 RAM(all this was supposedly "tested" before
>shipping!) the board has onboard sound & Lan. The vid card I currently have
>to use due to budget constraints is a Nvidia Geforce4 440MX 64 mb AGP. I
>also want to override the onboard sound with a SoundBlaster Live PCI. This
>is all run with a Codegen 350W power supply. Now, this is the system having
>all the trouble, I have a new motherboard coming from the dealer on Monday,
>but as I said, whenever I install a floppy drive, regardless of the brand,
>it does not work. All I get is errors on bootup regarding the floppy
>failure. I installed 3 known good drives and in fact pulled a good drive
>from the old system I'm using right now to post this message. After
>receiving yet another floppy failure message, I placed that drive BACK into
>the machine it originally came from.that's when I started worrying because
>now the drive failed on the machine it came from! So, again, what would
>cause damage (?) to drives installed on the new machine?
>
>I hope I made the problem somewhat clearer!
>
>Thank you all again, great advice and always, always appreciated!
>
>Gerry
>gwolf@wi.rr.com

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

On rare occasion I've seen a floppy interface fail, but have yet to
see the interface circuit ruin floppy drives. There is a first for
everything tho.

--
Best regards,
Kyle